• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Forager

Imported curmudgeon
    Feb 12, 2012
    In the Lion's den
    Lasik is the best money my wife and I ever spent. It took her from legally blind without glasses to 20/15.

For self-defense, I can't imagine NOT getting Lasik.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    i have indeed thought about lasic in this sense. glasses are definitely a disability in a shtf scenario. but at what point is it worth it? my eyes are bad but not that bad. i need glasses to drive only so i can read signs, is it worth the risk of the surgury? what is the success rate?

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    I'm not sure what they use other than a laser but there is "fix" for presbyopia where one eye is "corrected" for short distances and the other for farther away. A co-worker had this done.

The place I went to called that Mono vision. The simulated it by giving me two different contacs. You actually give up some of your "far" vision for this. It is a compromise and does not give you 20/20 vision. It allows you to read your watch or price checks, product labels etc but if you actually read something longer or work on a computer you would still need reading glasses. And of course it is only temporary until your vision further deteriorates. The first day I had the contacts I hated it, then I adjusted and loved it for the next 3-4 days. Then when they were taken out I was like WOW - everything seemed so much clearer. I have basically 20/20 vision but cannot read anymore. With this procedure I sooner or later would need glasses to pass the driver license eye test which I do not need with my vision now.

I debated it for very long time but did not feel like giving something up that was still good, like when the dentist has to shave off enamel to fit a crown. You can never get that enamel back.

I was told if I had the Mono vision procedure done I still would need to wear glasses since I work on a computer all day long, that did not seem worth it.

But what I meant with my post was that Lasik can 100% correct myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism, it cannot do this for age related presbyopia, it will not give you 20/20 near nor far.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    i have indeed thought about lasic in this sense. glasses are definitely a disability in a shtf scenario. but at what point is it worth it? my eyes are bad but not that bad. i need glasses to drive only so i can read signs, is it worth the risk of the surgury? what is the success rate?

Success rate is north of 95%. Researchers calculated the risk of significant vision loss consequence of LASIK surgery to be around 1-in-10,000 cases.

The FDA received 140 "negative reports relating to LASIK" for the time period 1998–2006 according to a 2008 NYT article

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Wish I could but a tumor in my right eye precludes any fiddling with my left. I will be spending Lasik level money on an RMR and Stream light TLR. Anyone know how I could use my flex spending money on optics?;) I typically get the second pair for half price glasses deal at Costco so I guess I could be guilty of stockpiling.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Great video. More worried about survival than reading. So where does everyone get there cheap glasses online? How cheap are they? I don't have the money for LASIK, but I have been thinking about the down side to glasses and contacts.

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    I recently started wearing glasses to correct a very slight problem. I would be comfortable without them if need be. I'm not nearly bad enough to warrant getting lasik. (besides, glasses make me look smarter) haha

I've decided to make use of the online companies and pick up a few very basic sets of glasses to stash around the home and office. My friend gets his for $15 and while they aren't super tough they do the job just fine.

For 45 bucks I can have a pair in the car, office, and BOB. In addition to the pair I've got on my noggin' now.

Seems like the best idea in my situation for sure. Probably not right for a lot of people though.

In a SHTF situation I want every advantage I can get.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I tried the Nettipot, last time I felt it coming on. The next week I had the worse sinus infection Ive ever had. Could have been a coincidence but not willing to try it.

Afraid if I stockpile sudeophedrine the DEA will bust down my door.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Nettipot is nothing but a saline solution to keep your sinus clean. It helped me little. I gets sinus headaches a lot. If you have infection, you need real meds not the over the counter meds.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I recently started wearing glasses to correct a very slight problem. I would be comfortable without them if need be. I'm not nearly bad enough to warrant getting lasik. (besides, glasses make me look smarter) haha

I've decided to make use of the online companies and pick up a few very basic sets of glasses to stash around the home and office. My friend gets his for $15 and while they aren't super tough they do the job just fine.

For 45 bucks I can have a pair in the car, office, and BOB. In addition to the pair I've got on my noggin' now.

Seems like the best idea in my situation for sure. Probably not right for a lot of people though.

In a SHTF situation I want every advantage I can get.

That's what Binoculars and rifle-scopes are for ;)

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    I got lasik as part of my shtf prepper scenario.

However, make sure you have your teeth fixed. Plenty of dental floss, toothpaste and toothbrushes. I mean plenty like a case of each.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I had lasik surgery almost nine years ago (while in my 50's) and I too never looked back. As has been already pointed out, unless you go the monovision route, you may still need reading glasses if you are over 40, but I think I could manage the reading difficulty better than not being able to see distance. I had my eyes checked a couple of months ago and my vision is still 20/20 with no astigmatism. In a shtf situation, I'd just make sure I've got a magnifying glass of some sort if I didn't have actual reading glasses. I just wish I had done it sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom