Waffen Werks 7.62*54r problems figured out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ezeerider

Mount Airy, Marylandistan
    Feb 10, 2009
    Mount Airy, Md.
    Anyone know if Waffen Werks ever got their issues figured out? Centerfire has a nice special, Waffen Werks AK with all the usual stuff that comes with a PSL. If they only had OD it would be worth contemplating.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/RIFLE-AKFPK-BLK.aspx

I'll let ya know on Wednesday. Pickin mine up on Tuesday.
    Oh, and they DO have OD green....... plum and black too.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/RIFLE-AKFPK-GR.aspx

rifleakfpkgrrtd2.jpg

EDIT: Sorry....... I just looked again, and the green ones are out of stock.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Let me know (assuming Green comes back) I could pop for one of these if they have straightened out their issues.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Bump for an update:

I am still interested in an AK54R. With the price of x54R, I am surprised there isn't more interest in these. Perhaps it would be more popular if they had 20 round magazines.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Bump for an update:

I am still interested in an AK54R. With the price of x54R, I am surprised there isn't more interest in these. Perhaps it would be more popular if they had 20 round magazines.

I have been thinking the same thing, wonder how Easy Rider's is working for him? Though cleaning corrosive ammo out of a gas system is a pain.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have been debating over my next rifle. I wanted either a Cetme .308, Saiga .308, or a PSL or one of these posted by the OP. I have boxes and cans of 54r for my Mosins, even have a few of Wolf and Bear non corrosive. The Cetme was looked at for it's low price, and low price of magazines. However I've been rethinking it because it needs real 7.62x51 Nato ammo, not regular .308 you can buy in Walmart. I was considering a PSL because of the low cost of ammo, using the corrosive stuff for the easy to clean Mosins and only using milsurp in last case scenario but many places have been out of stock on these and I've read very bad reviews searching the internet on the Century PSLs and Cetmes. The Saiga .308 is currently #1 because I'm a little familiar with it since I have a Saiga 7.62x39. The mags are more expensive but have 20 or 25 rd capacity as opposed the the Dragunovs 10 round capacity I've found. The Saiga is also very reliable, close in cost to the PSL if not cheaper sometimes, and shoots both commercail .308 and NATO. I had though the AKFPK was built by Tennesse Guns, and had some problems as well. If anyone has any info on the AKFPK I'm waiting, as I am interested in it too. I can get a 20 rd box of 54r commercial ammo for $11.00 which isn't too bad locally. The Saiga is mainly number one for me because it is a genuine manufactured gun that hasn't been F'd with. Seems all the Cetmes, PSLs, and these AKFPKs have been imported and rebuilt by some questionable folks. I am unsure whether I want a gun that's been rebuilt, especially if they were built well in the first place. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm subscribing for more info as well.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I have been debating over my next rifle. I wanted either a Cetme .308, Saiga .308, or a PSL or one of these posted by the OP. I have boxes and cans of 54r for my Mosins, even have a few of Wolf and Bear non corrosive. The Cetme was looked at for it's low price, and low price of magazines. However I've been rethinking it because it needs real 7.62x51 Nato ammo, not regular .308 you can buy in Walmart. I was considering a PSL because of the low cost of ammo, using the corrosive stuff for the easy to clean Mosins and only using milsurp in last case scenario but many places have been out of stock on these and I've read very bad reviews searching the internet on the Century PSLs and Cetmes. The Saiga .308 is currently #1 because I'm a little familiar with it since I have a Saiga 7.62x39. The mags are more expensive but have 20 or 25 rd capacity as opposed the the Dragunovs 10 round capacity I've found. The Saiga is also very reliable, close in cost to the PSL if not cheaper sometimes, and shoots both commercail .308 and NATO. I had though the AKFPK was built by Tennesse Guns, and had some problems as well. If anyone has any info on the AKFPK I'm waiting, as I am interested in it too. I can get a 20 rd box of 54r commercial ammo for $11.00 which isn't too bad locally. The Saiga is mainly number one for me because it is a genuine manufactured gun that hasn't been F'd with. Seems all the Cetmes, PSLs, and these AKFPKs have been imported and rebuilt by some questionable folks. I am unsure whether I want a gun that's been rebuilt, especially if they were built well in the first place. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm subscribing for more info as well.

The Saiga is an excellent choice :thumbsup:. On the group of rifles you mentioned it will be the most reliable and flexible, you cannot beat a rifle that was made professionally at Izhmash, home of the AK. Also to add the PSL CANNOT use commercial ammo because the PSI is way too high for the receiver to take since it is stamped so it will cause damage to your gun in the long run every time you fire it being not strong enough to absorb the long-term pressure of constant commercial ammo use. PSL can only take milsurp ammo since it is in the 140's bullet weight range compared to 180's bullet weight range of commercial ammo.

However, if you save up a little more money on top of the money you are planning for the group of rifles mentioned, you have better choices.

-PTR-91 GI can be had for $899 brand new. Its a G3 like the CETME but better made all around and can use .308 and 7.62 NATO plus with deeper flutes in the chamber as well as barrel makes it more reliable. Also uses cheap mags.

-SVT-40 if you are looking for a good semi-auto 7.62x54r. They can be had for under $1000 too if you look hard enough and really want one. They are also well-built but also only have 10 round mags. The plus side is they can be fed via stripper clip directly into the rifle. Barrel is much more sturdy, thicker, and will last longer than on the PSL. They can also fire commercial and milsurp ammo since the receiver is milled. Only downside is parts are hard to find and the gas system can be finicky if not adjusted properly but also a plus so that you can adjust it to the type of ammo being fired.

What were the reported problems with this rifle?

Head-spacing issues as is usually the #1 problem with U.S. builders rebuilding foreign parts kit on to BATFE compliant receivers. A lot of FTF's have occurred. Receivers are also another problem since they were out-of-spec as well.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    +1 on the PTR91. I plan on picking one up this year. I already bought 50 magazines for it. (Hey, they were $1 a piece for the aluminum, and $2 for the steel. :))

Some things to be aware of though. The PTR 91 has an "accurized" (their word) heavy barrel, and they do not use mil-spec dimensions for the chamber; something about different fluting to increase accuracy. So PTR's have had issues running any mil-surp ammo that used tar to seal it (PTR actually has a list of ammo that can cause FTE problems). They recommend only using current commercial ammo.

Still a great gun though.

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.p...Enterprises-PTR-91-vs.-Heckler-amp-Koch-HK-91

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    +1 on the PTR91. I plan on picking one up this year. I already bought 50 magazines for it. (Hey, they were $1 a piece for the aluminum, and $2 for the steel. :))

Some things to be aware of though. The PTR 91 has an "accurized" (their word) heavy barrel, and they do not use mil-spec dimensions for the chamber; something about different fluting to increase accuracy. So PTR's have had issues running any mil-surp ammo that used tar to seal it (PTR actually has a list of ammo that can cause FTE problems). They recommend only using current commercial ammo.

Still a great gun though.

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.p...Enterprises-PTR-91-vs.-Heckler-amp-Koch-HK-91

Does not apply to the new GI model I mentioned. That is the model where JLD Enterprises actually listened to their customers who wanted to fire milsurp ammo from the gun so they made the flutes deeper thus helping in extraction therefore making it more reliable. It also has a more rugged as well as traditionalist look than the standard lines of 91's especially with the gray parkerized finish and green surplus furniture. The gun is more along the lines of a bring anywhere kind of truck gun you can bring into the bush without worries of it crapping out on you reliability wise. I have fired British and Taiwanese surplus ammo with no issues at all.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Where did you find a GI model? I've looked for them and haven't been able to locate one? I didn't see anything about that model on the PTR website. I just need a basic model, I already have a select fire lower and paratrooper stock to install. :D

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Also what do they cost? They are supposed to be a "Special Edition" from what I've read. Sorry, I didn't notice you mentioned the GI in your post.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Sirex, If you're adventurous, you might consider a Hakim in 8mm, 10 round detachable mags (and 25's can be found.) 8mm is still cheap to shoot.

Mark

Sirex