• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    I used a .22 caliber "Power Actuated" nail gun made my Remington for the first time today.
    What kick-ass fun those things are!!!
    All these years, I've been drilling holes in concrete to sink an anchor into the wall. No more!!!

For those of you unfamiliar, you load a .22 blank cartridge into a chamber, close the chamber, load a nail with a plastic wadding in the muzzle, place the barrel against a hard surface, and pull the trigger!!
    The pressure on the barrel activates the trigger and the expanding gas forces the nail into concrete. Its bonerific! Plus, it made my office smell like the AGC.

In other news, I'm surprised that these aren't regulated firearms in MD. I'm sure if O'Malley knew these existed that I would have to register it. Bastards. Hands off my tools!

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    Dad and I used something similar when we finished our basement. We used it to anchor nails (and the framing studs) to the floor. Ours needed to be hit with a hammer to fire, but same general concept.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I've seen 'em used, but never had the personal pleasure of shooting a nail with a powder charge. They must be fun :). The standard pneumatic nail drivers are kinda like CO2 pellet guns in comparison I'm sure.

I 'spose this must be said at least once: "Only police and military..." - yada yada yada :innocent0

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I always called em ramsets. They are great for easy anchoring into concrete, especially on a ladder or something where you can't be leaning hard into a hammerdrill.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    In the electrical trade we use them to fasten support wires to concrete/steel ceilings on a long pole.. big time saver...

tim410

Sep 10, 2009
    Towson
    In the electrical trade we use them to fasten support wires to concrete/steel ceilings on a long pole.. big time saver...

I hated seeing the ramset after hanging a couple hundred ceiling wires for light supports. The inspector was a d*ck about it. We had to have our ceiling wires individually marked to tell the apart from the wires for the drop ceiling.:mad54:

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Yeah, actually that's a fairly recent rule change. We used to mark them on our own on certain jobs because, sometimes, the ceiling guys would use ours..lol.. I think the inspectors actually stole the idea from us.. :)

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I wonder how easy it would be to convert a nail gun to fire live ammo. :innocent0

Also, can the .22 blanks used in nail guns be used in .22lr firearms?

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    I wonder how easy it would be to convert a nail gun to fire live ammo. :innocent0

conversion is unlikely.. The blanks do work but, be careful, there is also a .26 cal version of powder-actuated tools...

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina

Oh yeah thats great fun when you get company to fire them in the house to give them a jump. But on the same line when my dad would shoot the 30-06 to kill groundhogs out of his bedroom window without warning. :lol2:

tim410

Sep 10, 2009
    Towson
    Oh yeah thats great fun when you get company to fire them in the house to give them a jump. But on the same line when my dad would shoot the 30-06 to kill groundhogs out of his bedroom window without warning. :lol2:

I wish i could shoot stuff out my window but i have to many dang neighbors. Dont think they would like that too much:sad20:

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    I wish i could shoot stuff out my window but i have to many dang neighbors. Dont think they would like that too much:sad20:

I live in a townhouse and when I saw a rat in my backyard, I immediately went down the list of options in my head and ruled out each one. I thought a 12 gauge would be a little too loud, my .45 isn't accurate enough, even a .22 might alert the folks next door.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I live in a townhouse and when I saw a rat in my backyard, I immediately went down the list of options in my head and ruled out each one. I thought a 12 gauge would be a little too loud, my .45 isn't accurate enough, even a .22 might alert the folks next door.

Two words ... AIR GUN. :D

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina

Well in reply to that at the time we lived on 2 acres in a 16 house sub-division we fired off anything we damn well pleased even some full auto that my dad's friend had brought down to the house (early 90s). Only time anything ever happened was neighbors called the cops in 2001 when i was 16 (dad gave me a mini-14) and they had just moved in recently and we were outback shooting it. One cop showed up and said well you have every legal right to do it and that was that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom