• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Looking for opinions on the Carroll County "Hap Baker Firearms Facility." I see that it's only open from Friday-Sunday until April. Is it crowded on Saturdays and Sundays? I recently purchased my first personal rifle and wanted to practice with it there. How do the targets work? I know how one hangs and moves targets at a pistol range, but I only have experience in the military on rifle ranges - and surely at Hap Baker's there's no one in "the pit" 200 yds down range holding up a sign after each shot telling you where you hit. Thanks
    ________
    Honda XL125

Last edited:

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Targets are set out to 200 yards (fixed, bring a stapler when you walk out there). You can replace targets during cease fire (cold range). Each bench has a scope to see the target. The rifle range can get crowded on weekends, but can also be dead on a given day. The RO's are strict but "cool" and are very safety concious.

That being said, I only use the pistol range which I really like. Several others on this board use the rifle range frequently and can fill you in more.

BTW, it's hard to beat the membership price.

Splitter

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    i've been there only one time and it was a pretty decent set up. just as mentioned in previous posts its pretty simple. i'll make the trip back up there i'm sure.

MDCXD

Nov 27, 2008
    Mt. Airy
    Hap Baker is a good range. they open at 9am but you can't shoot intil 10am. If you get there about 9:30 you will have no problem getting a lane. The RO sets a timer for a cease fire every 30 min. They don't always start at the top or bottom of the hour.
    The price is $10 for in county & $15 for out of county. Or $ 70 for annual that runs intil july, they currently have a half year special for $25

B

bluecollarkid

One of the best outdoor ranges in Maryland; even better since they rebuilt it. But it holds the cold. lol

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    The RO's joke that they should charge more for the "moving targets" caused by the wind lol. Truthfully, I kinda enjoy the moving targets when it's not too bad, adds some challenge. Of course, I rarely shoot at the full distance. The guys that bring their scoped target pistols probably enjoy the calm days a lot more.

BTW, we're headed up there in a few minutes, say hi to the guy in the Stillers cap!

Splitter

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I was there yesterday to sight in my AR-15. Didn't stay long enough to get it exactly where I wanted it but it's close. Next time, I'll be able to dial in the accuracy pretty quickly. The rifle range target stands aren't live, like in the pistol range. I swear the positioned it perfectly so the wind can blow nicely between the landfill heaps. Ha!

Ran into Splitter there on the way out. Good to see him there as usual!

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I'm heading up in a few hours to sight in some now rifles and meet a guy for a trade. Does anyone know if they still offer boresighting? I haven't had one done since Jim was working there and he'd always hook me up with the best boresight jobs I ever saw. One of my guns I swear he was less than an inch off at 100 yrds. Talk about saving some ammo $ for a sight in.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Pistol targets moving in the wind? No fixed stands out there?

Targets are hung on a hanger via a cable. You pull the cable to the distance you want. (much like the indoor range at Continental. works better on an indoor range if the wind is blowing.) You don't have target stands or frames in the ground. I can see pros and cons to both methods. One club I belonged to elsewhere had fixed frames at certain distances on the pistol range. Limited your options if you wanted to practice at say 7 yards.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Yep, Vette, I am starting to see a lot of familiar faces there more often....I think I have an addiction! Good to see you too.

I was back again this morning "training" the future FIL. He did well, I did not lol.

Yes, the targets were moving but after all, zombies do not always stand still!

Splitter

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Well, we signed the future FIL up for that half year membership at $25. Now he can shoot for free.

I encourage everyone to buy some targets at the range as I think it helps support the facility.

Splitter

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I'm about to leave now. If you are coming to the rifle range today, say hi to the short fat guy in the blue nike jacket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom