• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    buy it cheap stack it deep Ive been on 9mm and 5.45 buying as of late becuase 7.62x39 is going crazy

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    I'm with the guys that say don't blow all your money on steel cased ammo.

I keep a ratio of like 1 brass to 5 steel. The steel is great for practice (introduces lots of immediate action drills) and if the s really does htf, you can trade your steel ammo for goods/services. If things get super bad, it is still ammo. By keeping the brass, however, you have reliable ammo to protect yourself with.

(I've got about 10-12,000 rounds, and I'm 23 ... I caught the bug baaaaaad)

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    You have reliability with steel as long as its not nasty third world mil surp. Never had a problem with the thousands I've fired of steel. I prefer brass so I can reload. If money is an issue 2000 practice rounds of steel are better than 1000 brass. Period. Trigger time, the steel is financially more effective.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    7.62x54r Brass is unbelievable lol

I have some. I ordered 100 rounds of PPU, after I shoot that out of my MN, I'm reloading it with 174gr SMKs and hitting the 1000 yard range at Quantico. If I need a longer reach, I have a .300 WinMag that will stay supersonic to about a mile :D I have almost 400 300 WM brass, and I'll have 120 7.62x54R brass when I'm done shooting it out of the MN. I really wish I had snagged that brass Gungary had on VA Guntrader, I was about 5 minutes too late :mad54:

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I have some. I ordered 100 rounds of PPU, after I shoot that out of my MN, I'm reloading it with 174gr SMKs and hitting the 1000 yard range at Quantico. If I need a longer reach, I have a .300 WinMag that will stay supersonic to about a mile :D I have almost 400 300 WM brass, and I'll have 120 7.62x54R brass when I'm done shooting it out of the MN. I really wish I had snagged that brass Gungary had on VA Guntrader, I was about 5 minutes too late :mad54:

just be glad you live in VA lol

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Just curious, do you guys keep it in boxes, or loose in something like an ammo can. I've just between dumping it if it's the same brand, I've got my 5.45, 9mm, & 22lr in ammo cans like that.

50bmg

Sep 24, 2011
    Towson, MD
    I keep mine in labeled ammo cans in the original boxes if possible. I do have some loose, but it's not my favorite because they can get dinged up.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I do loose for pistol cuz I buy in bulk and thats how it comes all my rifle ammo is sealed in spam or other c-block cans lol except 223 which im going to sell off

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's

Do they allow Comblock calibers there?

I faintly remember reading a post about comblock caliber restrictions, but my memory has failed me in the past and will again, I'm sure. :o Might be a different range completely I was thinking of, as I've never been there.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Do they allow Comblock calibers there?

I faintly remember reading a post about comblock caliber restrictions, but my memory has failed me in the past and will again, I'm sure. :o Might be a different range completely I was thinking of, as I've never been there.

That rule changed recently. They are now allowed.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    3500+ Chinese surplus 7.62x39, hope to sell my AK so I can use it to buy 3k more and another case of 5.45

3300+ of 5.45 surplus and hornady

1200+ of 7.62x54r Russian, Albanian, East German, Greek, and Serbian
    1000+ of 7.62x25 in Polish, Bulgarian, Hungarian, and Chinese
    1560 of 7.62x51 Malaysian and south African
    Unknown assorted amounts of Romanian, Serbian, and Turkish 8mm.
    A few assorted boxes of .32, .38, 12 gauge, 22lr, and 9mm.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    3500+ Chinese surplus 7.62x39, hope to sell my AK so I can use it to buy 3k more and another case of 5.45

3300+ of 5.45 surplus and hornady

1200+ of 7.62x54r Russian, Albanian, East German, Greek, and Serbian
    1000+ of 7.62x25 in Polish, Bulgarian, Hungarian, and Chinese
    1560 of 7.62x51 Malaysian and south African
    Unknown assorted amounts of Romanian, Serbian, and Turkish 8mm.
    A few assorted boxes of .32, .38, 12 gauge, 22lr, and 9mm.

where are you buying the Chinese surplus?

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    where are you buying the Chinese surplus?

Bought the stuff on gunbroker where a guy in Texas was literally having a firesale on his stockpile he had over the years had like 12 cases of the stuff (wish I had more money to buy more of it) and at the May 2010 SAR Show in York at normal 7.62x39 prices. The owners didn't know what they had so I was able to benefit from it wholeheartedly :innocent0

If I do get 3k more it is going to be Russian commercial hoping it is golden tiger ammo since it has the same ballistics and accuracy of Yugo surplus ammo but non-corrosive plus good for long-term storage with lacquer coated cases to resist rust as well as sealant on the primer and bullet neck to prevent moisture from ruining the primers and powder.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Does it seem to anyone else like the ammo scare has started? I can't find decent priced 5.56 ANYWHERE online. Walmarts ive visited have been out of 9mm value packs. Prices have been going up online for all ammo. I'm going to chantilly this friday, we'll see how the prices are at the show. But I really hope we're not in for the same scare as last time. Last time I couldn't find 9mm to save my life.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Does it seem to anyone else like the ammo scare has started? I can't find decent priced 5.56 ANYWHERE online. Walmarts ive visited have been out of 9mm value packs. Prices have been going up online for all ammo. I'm going to chantilly this friday, we'll see how the prices are at the show. But I really hope we're not in for the same scare as last time. Last time I couldn't find 9mm to save my life.

In the words of Shang Tsung..."it has begun!" mags and ammo are drying up

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom