Whats the legal barrel length in Maryland??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo35

Dec 6, 2008
    Got a New Saiga 12 and it has a 19 inch barrel,I like to shorten it. whats the legal length I can shorten it without it being consider a Class 3 weapon?

Jettster

May 18, 2008
    Got a New Saiga 12 and it has a 19 inch barrel,I like to shorten it. whats the legal length I can shorten it without it being consider a Class 3 weapon?

Thinking the same thing, but I may just go ahead and SBS it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    As already said, 18" for a shotgun barrel, but what has not been mentioned yet is overall length must be 26" and if there is a folding or collapsible stock, it has to be at least 26" with the stock fully extended.
    So in other words let's say a shotgun is 26" with a 19" barrel, it would become an NFA device if the barrel is cut. I don't think this is an issue with Saigas though.

mdsuave13

Zombie Survival Expert
    Nov 8, 2007
    ellicott city
    My AR has a 14" barrel and I got a 2" flash hider to avoid any problems. Not sure if the same applys to shotguns?

Is the flash hider permanently attached?

I was under the impression that the barrel itself has to be 16" total, a removable flash hider on a 14" barrel would not be legal (without sbr'ing it)

Its kinda like my 10.5" ruger 10/22, with the supressor on it, its 16" but its still an sbr because the suppressor can be removed. If the suppressor was permanently attached, it would be legal....

i am just curious.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    16" Rifle
    18" Shotgun

Anthing under and you'll need a From 1 & $200.

Having a permentantly attached muzzle breal or flash hider counts in the over all length. But it must be attached in a way that the ATF counts as permenant. No Red Lock tight or other liquid method. They want blind pined and welded.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    16" Rifle
    18" Shotgun

Anthing under and you'll need a From 1 & $200.

Having a permentantly attached muzzle breal or flash hider counts in the over all length. But it must be attached in a way that the ATF counts as permenant. No Red Lock tight or other liquid method. They want blind pined and welded.

Blind pinned(pin welded) or welded ?
    or
    Blind Pinned (pin welded) and brake welded?

ampdog

Feb 25, 2009
    As already said, 18" for a shotgun barrel, but what has not been mentioned yet is overall length must be 26" and if there is a folding or collapsible stock, it has to be at least 26" with the stock fully extended.
    So in other words let's say a shotgun is 26" with a 19" barrel, it would become an NFA device if the barrel is cut. I don't think this is an issue with Saigas though.

I think if it's a converted Saiga it has to be regulated by MSP because it has a Pistol Grip and a Magazine.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I think if it's a converted Saiga it has to be regulated by MSP because it has a Pistol Grip and a Magazine.

What I meant is that Saigas will still be over 26" if you cut the barrel down to 18".

In MD there is n "features" test for the so called "assault weapons" list except for the Mini14 with a folding stock. There is some question about whether the Saiga 12 shotgun is a MD regulated firearm, but that is for other reasons and has nothing to do with the features like detachable mags and pistol grips for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom