• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Novice trap shooter here but the few times I have shot the game I have liked it.

First, when I shoot I have rented a gun at Lock Raven and bought their ammo. What size shot is most commonly used? 7 1/2? 8? 9?

Second, the Browning BT-99. Good novice gun? The prices I see for this model seem not as high as some of the Italian guns.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    BT-99s are awesome guns IMHO; I have one with an adjustable comb. I do think the adjustable comb is mandatory, but I would say that of any gun. Consistent cheek weld is absolutely mandatory for trap. Just be aware that being a single-shot gun, it's really a one-trick pony, i.e., trap. It's a helluva one-trick pony though, especially for the price.

I've got a 34" barrel and run a full choke.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    7-1/2 or 8 from the 16 -20 yard. 7-1/2 past that. Your speed should increase as you move further away also.
    I use a 870 12 ga, 28'' barrel with full choke and for as little as I shoot I do OK.
    If your not serious about it I don't see a reason to get a "Trap Gun", unless you can afford it with no problem, and I don't mean using a CC and taking 5 years to pay it off. :lol2::lol2:

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    For 16 yard trap, the longtime standard load has been light 8s, that is: 2 3/4 dram X 1 1/8oz #8 (1145fps). Some folks now shoot 1oz # 8 at 1180fps due to recoil concerns. The same loads are used for doubles and for handicap back to 24yards. Beyond 24 yards, most use 1 1/8oz #7 1/2 shot, some in 2 3/4 dram (1145fps), some in 3 dram (1200fps) and some use the faster handicap loads at 1235fps - depends on what works best for you.

The BT99 is a solid workhorse single. It's been around for quite some time in several different versions. Today it's a basic starter trap gun and reliable as hell. It lacks some of the adjustable features and bling of other guns, but that doesn't matter all that much. An adjustable comb is only needed if the gun doesn't fit you well. I would not buy one with an adjustable comb anyway, as the factory hardware is inferior to aftermarket stuff and more costly to boot. I would buy a regular stock, shoot it awhile and then decide if the adjustable comb is needed. I've broken 100 straights with these as well as other basic out of the box trap guns. The BT is a better choice (IMO) than other similarly priced trap guns and a much better choice than a field gun. I think you can buy a new plain Jane model for about $1300 or less. Good choice - go for it.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    For 16 yard trap, the longtime standard load has been light 8s, that is: 2 3/4 dram X 1 1/8oz #8 (1145fps). Some folks now shoot 1oz # 8 at 1180fps due to recoil concerns. The same loads are used for doubles and for handicap back to 24yards. Beyond 24 yards, most use 1 1/8oz #7 1/2 shot, some in 2 3/4 dram (1145fps), some in 3 dram (1200fps) and some use the faster handicap loads at 1235fps - depends on what works best for you.

The BT99 is a solid workhorse single. It's been around for quite some time in several different versions. Today it a basic starter trap gun and reliable. It lacks the adjustable feature and bling of other guns, but that doesn't matter all that much. I've broken 100 straights with these as well as other basic out of the box trap guns. The BT is a better choice (IMO) than other similarly priced guns. I think you can buy a new plain Jane model for about $1300 or less. Good choice - go for it.

Thanks! Good info for me, too! :thumbsup:

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon

The BT99 is a solid workhorse single. It's been around for quite some time in several different versions. Today it a basic starter trap gun and reliable. It lacks the adjustable feature and bling of other guns, but that doesn't matter all that much. I've broken 100 straights with these as well as other basic out of the box trap guns. The BT is a better choice (IMO) than other similarly priced guns. I think you can buy a new plain Jane model for about $1300 or less. Good choice - go for it.

I was told just Thursday night what I posted by a long time regular. But hey I know you are a long long trap shooter too. I guess everyone needs to find what they like/need in a load.

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    I use 8's on everything except biodegradable targets they are a little harder if I know a club throws them I bring 7.5's

Bt99 classic trap gun great to learn on easy to repair and get parts

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    7-1/2 or 8 from the 16 -20 yard. 7-1/2 past that. Your speed should increase as you move further away also.
    I use a 870 12 ga, 28'' barrel with full choke and for as little as I shoot I do OK.
    If your not serious about it I don't see a reason to get a "Trap Gun", unless you can afford it with no problem, and I don't mean using a CC and taking 5 years to pay it off. :lol2::lol2:

My only shotgun currently is a Remington 870 with an 18 1/2" barrel, set up for home defense. I think that short tube and cylinder bore choke would put me at a disadvantage. Yep, I could buy another 870 barrel but still I have a gun more suited to deer hunting than trap.

The times I have shot trap I have enjoyed it more than skeet. $1,300 +/- isn't that expensive and my credit cards get paid off monthly. I was going to get a special toy for my 50th birthday and I have the cash in the bank. Rather than getting a handgun I may get a trap gun.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

The BT99 is a solid workhorse single. It's been around for quite some time in several different versions. Today it's a basic starter trap gun and reliable as hell. It lacks some of the adjustable features and bling of other guns, but that doesn't matter all that much. An adjustable comb is only needed if the gun doesn't fit you well. I would not buy one with an adjustable comb anyway, as the factory hardware is inferior to aftermarket stuff and more costly to boot. I would buy a regular stock, shoot it awhile and then decide if the adjustable comb is needed. I've broken 100 straights with these as well as other basic out of the box trap guns. The BT is a better choice (IMO) than other similarly priced trap guns and a much better choice than a field gun. I think you can buy a new plain Jane model for about $1300 or less. Good choice - go for it.

Thanks for the info.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    My only shotgun currently is a Remington 870 with an 18 1/2" barrel, set up for home defense. I think that short tube and cylinder bore choke would put me at a disadvantage. Yep, I could buy another 870 barrel but still I have a gun more suited to deer hunting than trap.

The times I have shot trap I have enjoyed it more than skeet. $1,300 +/- isn't that expensive and my credit cards get paid off monthly. I was going to get a special toy for my 50th birthday and I have the cash in the bank. Rather than getting a handgun I may get a trap gun.

Nothing wrong with an 870 with a proper barrel for trap, but sounds like you're ready for a new toy!!!!! Have fun choosing!!!

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I don't shoot a lot of trap (maybe every couple of weeks), but when I do I use either 7.5 or 8's with a modified choke - full if I'm feeling frisky.

The Browning BT-99 is a great gun and probably the most affordable purpose-built gun for trap. I'm not certain how their high-rib is set up as to what percentage of shot it's designed to send above the barrel, but I'm pretty sure that the rib is not adjustable on the BT-99. I'm a fan of adjustable combs and doubt I'll ever own another shotgun without one. Blackthorne is right when he stated that Browning's factory adjustable comb hardware maybe isn't as good as others, but I've never had an issue with my Browning 525. But I know someone who has had some problems with keeping theirs tight. The adjustable comb is one of the best ways to get adjustment for the fit of a gun and a main way of adjusting point of impact.

But as others have noted. The BT-99 is essentially a one-trick pony - albeit it does perform the trick well. The BT-99 is not a skeet gun, or a trap doubles gun, or 5-stand gun, or sporting clays gun. And, for me, all of the other clay games I just mentioned are more fun than trap.

I'm not so sure I wouldn't be looking for more of a multi-tasker.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I'll stick with my Saiga-12. Just throw enough lead downrange; you'll hit your clay, your neighbor's clay, the guy two positions down's clay. Then you need to reload. :D

Seriously, I'm thinking about getting a trap gun myself. They are pretty reasonably priced at CDNN. I just need to research whats a good gun in my price range ($500-700).

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay

+1 on everything said here plus
    On trapshooters.com you can find used plain BT-99s for around $700-800 or LN for about $1100.
    Used BT-99 Plus for $1000-1200 (adjustable comb, angled butt plate and adjsutable LOP and adjustable rib)
    These all have the blued receiver. Fancy coin finished and engraved as well as Stainless Steel are more.

I bought a BT-99 Plus with a 4-way variable comb, adjustable rib, adjustable butt plate and adjustable length of pull for $1000. Took a while to find it but....
    It was a touch worn, (not a lot of resistance on open and close) but I have put over 3000 rounds through it so far and it has been a dream. I did buy a Briley extended Modified choke. (looks cool but I haven't noticed any difference between that and the one that came with it.) I personally need an adjustable comb to get the best cheek weld,

I shoot trap every Wednesday with a group at AGC (Old Timers Trap). There are about 6 BT-99s, several Beretta Golds, and a a few Kreighoffs and Caesars. The BT-99 guys are doing just great:)

ps: here is one for $900
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=281266

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I don't shoot a lot of trap (maybe every couple of weeks), but when I do I use either 7.5 or 8's with a modified choke - full if I'm feeling frisky.

The Browning BT-99 is a great gun and probably the most affordable purpose-built gun for trap. I'm not certain how their high-rib is set up as to what percentage of shot it's designed to send above the barrel, but I'm pretty sure that the rib is not adjustable on the BT-99. I'm a fan of adjustable combs and doubt I'll ever own another shotgun without one. Blackthorne is right when he stated that Browning's factory adjustable comb hardware maybe isn't as good as others, but I've never had an issue with my Browning 525. But I know someone who has had some problems with keeping theirs tight. The adjustable comb is one of the best ways to get adjustment for the fit of a gun and a main way of adjusting point of impact.

But as others have noted. The BT-99 is essentially a one-trick pony - albeit it does perform the trick well. The BT-99 is not a skeet gun, or a trap doubles gun, or 5-stand gun, or sporting clays gun. And, for me, all of the other clay games I just mentioned are more fun than trap.

I'm not so sure I wouldn't be looking for more of a multi-tasker.

The rib on the BT-99 Plus will adjust from 60/40 to 90/10 with a few clicks of the front or rear adjusters. With an 870 you probably need to cover the bird. On a BT-99 you float it over the end of the barrel. Makes it easier to see the bird leave the house.
    If you are going to shoot all those games you really need several shotguns, or at least that's what I tell myself:) see my sig line:innocent0

ps: If your comb tends to loosen, put a litle locktite on the set screws. I also stack plastic washers over the posts.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Folks, I must thank everyone for their views and comments.I even received a PM with some good thoughts. I have to sit back and ponder what I want to do. I doubt that I will ever shoot competitively, due to my work schedule, but I want to shoot well. Why do something half a$$ed?

BT-99 vs a Beretta 391 Teknys Gold Trap? Yep the semi auto is more $$ but it will batter me less. I think a trip to PG County Trap and Skeet Center is needed.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I'm not a trap shooter but I'm thinking that the addition of a 30" barrel with a modified choke and a Beretta GelTek Cheek Protector would be a good and relatively inexpensive set up for a novice trap shooter. It would allow you to shoot regularly for a few months before making a more informed decision.

http://www.berettausa.com/assets/item/large/gelcheekprotec1.jpg

I'm also thinking some sort of O/U (maybe set up for trap doubles) would give you a little more flexibility for the occasion round of skeet or 5-stand. The Beretta 391 would also accomplish this and they are great guns!

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Folks, I must thank everyone for their views and comments.I even received a PM with some good thoughts. I have to sit back and ponder what I want to do. I doubt that I will ever shoot competitively, due to my work schedule, but I want to shoot well. Why do something half a$$ed?

BT-99 vs a Beretta 391 Teknys Gold Trap? Yep the semi auto is more $$ but it will batter me less. I think a trip to PG County Trap and Skeet Center is needed.

I think that trying out a number of guns is the thing to do. In my honest opinion, buying a purpose-built trap gun as your first clay target gun is not a good idea. It's just very limiting. While a sporting or target gun can be adapted to most all of the clay games, a trap gun can't. They're made to do one thing well.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I think that trying out a number of guns is the thing to do. In my honest opinion, buying a purpose-built trap gun as your first clay target gun is not a good idea. It's just very limiting. While a sporting or target gun can be adapted to most all of the clay games, a trap gun can't. They're made to do one thing well.

Yeah a dedicated trap gun is great, but not for a first gun. Get two barrels or a SA. The Teknys Gold is a sweet setup.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    don't sell the trap guns short...I love the parallel combs on the trap guns, especially for beginners, because I feel they provide a very consistent mount.

I have a 15yo and a 19yo that shoot every clay target game with "so called" dedicated trap guns, Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays and Olympic Trap. My 15yo shoots a 32" Citori Plus and my 19yo shoots a 32" Citori Special Trap Edition. Both guns are setup to shoot about 60/40.

He's talking about single barrel break open guns like the BT-99 or the Lutjic Mono.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom