• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    It has been pretty quiet on the farm this past week. I totally forgot the range was even closed. I was walking across the field last night about 5:30PM heading back to my truck and thought, "MG sure has been quiet the past few days" and then it dawned on me, "Oh yeah I guess the range is closed"

Those baffles at the range make every shot that's fired sound like it's right on the farm. I can count how many times a man pulls the trigger on a .22 pistol. When no one has been shooting for a few days you tend to notice the peace and quiet in the evenings. The range is to the East of the farm and the baffles act like big echo chambers.

Now, if we can only get rid of airplanes and helicopters... Reagan Nationals southbound departure flightpath is directly, 100%, over the farm. Non-stop flights all day, everyday. The farm lines up with the southbound and northbound traffic with the Potomac River and the farm happens to be directly due-South of the rivers "main lane".

Don't get me wrong. I still feel the 2 week rule at the range is way outdated, but, when it's quiet over there you can not help but to notice after a few days.

45CalFan

Stop and Think
    Nov 27, 2012
    Upper Marlboro
    Say what you want about Dan, as said, he takes it very personally when his target stands get shot up. Back when the economy first took a crap, he was scabbing the wood legs back together because they cut the budget to the range for the wood and plastic fencing they use on the stands. He did anything he could to make it work. Call him what you want....but he personally cares if that range stays open or not. Their have been several neighbors that have organized complaints for noise against the range. So far the DNR have always been able to settle the complaints quietly. He has also been a part of that.

I've never been down to MG but it sounds like it has someone that cares about the range and keeping it open. I frequent MSAR because it's very close to me and affordable - I wish we had a "Dan" over there. You think you have idiots...

Suleiman

Feb 11, 2011
    Indian Head
    I've never been down to MG but it sounds like it has someone that cares about the range and keeping it open. I frequent MSAR because it's very close to me and affordable - I wish we had a "Dan" over there. You think you have idiots...

I hear that. I only head up to MSAR when I go with a friend that lives in that area. Last time I was there (before they moved) will be my last time for a long time.
    After we finished our session we were returning the muffs my friend rented. While waiting in line one of the employees pointed out to someone that there was a blood trail leading from the entrance to the shooting lanes out to the exit of the building. Another employee responded with "Someone caught a ricochet again". As if that is a normal occurrence.
    Ive also seen people waving loaded firearms towards the viewing window. I guess those were attempts to show off their awesome shots to their friends outside. Needless to say, at that point I left immediately.

Say what you will about Dan. I've bumped heads with him before too (my own fault for poorly placing my targets on the stands). But the man is there for best interests of our range.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    After we finished our session we were returning the muffs my friend rented. While waiting in line one of the employees pointed out to someone that there was a blood trail leading from the entrance to the shooting lanes out to the exit of the building. Another employee responded with "Someone caught a ricochet again". As if that is a normal occurrence.

Wow. I've followed blood-trails a time or two, but never at the range. :facepalm:

Ive also seen people waving loaded firearms towards the viewing window. I guess those were attempts to show off their awesome shots to their friends outside. Needless to say, at that point I left immediately.

Amazing. And nobody challenged* the idiots who swept the window?

*challenged = threw them out with orders not to return until they took a firearms safety class.

Say what you will about Dan. I've bumped heads with him before too (my own fault for poorly placing my targets on the stands). But the man is there for best interests of our range.

It is to your credit that you are recognizing his efforts and good intentions, especially when he corrected you in the past. :thumbsup:

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    I guess Sunday right? Was gonna head down there Sunday to shoot if it's open. My brother has been buggin the crap out of me to go and I want to try out my new mosin.

southern71

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 23, 2012
    I have a 308 that I just put a new scope on and I really need to sight it in. I hunt in NC and am taking it with me when I go down next week but I don't have time to zero there. With MG closed I was wondering if anyone in the SO MD area had a range I could use to sight it in. 100 yds will do, 200 yds would be great, 1000 yd KD would be a dream come true. I am taking Friday off from work and would like to zero it then. I am a very responsible shooter, former competitive rifle shooter with several trophies and will police brass and any litter I see while I am out there.

If you have a private range PM and I will get in touch.

Thanks

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    I'm thinking about heading to MG Sunday. Got a scope for the 870, so that needs sighting in.

Plus I haven't been able to shoot my new Mosin much, so I'll be taking that down there.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    Hey Dave is that the ex wife arms Nagunt model?

Not sure what you mean there Hvy. I will shoot it in my back yard rang. Its not to loud so it want piss the neighbors off to much. Most of the time i only shoot the silenced guns back there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom