• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Deborah from Estate Broker offered me a Smith and Wesson model 94 (i think) chambered in .38+p at an amazing price. I was going to hold out for a GP 100 or Security Six 4 inch stainless but this may be a deal I can't pass up. Any input on .357 vs .38...i know who the winner is but I want to hear the talking points anyway.

P.S. This is a Smith at a Ruger price

P.S.S. I love it when Deb calls me sweetie, she may have a customer for life here :blush:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    .38+p is a fine round, but it's simply not a .357. You will eventually get the .357 and unless you just love the way the Smith shoots it will become a safe queen. I've bought and sold a lot of guns. Most of what I sold was because it wasn't what I really wanted, it's what I could find and afford. If it were me, as a revolver guy, save for the .357 and ask Deb to keep her eyes open.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Are you sure it isn't a Model 64?

S&W Model 94 is a line of handcuffs.

The 64 is a very nice .38 wheel gun. J&G Sales in AZ, was selling some DAO trade ins recently. The 64 is a heavy barrle stainless version of the carbon steel Model 10.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Are you sure it isn't a Model 64?

S&W Model 94 is a line of handcuffs.

The 64 is a very nice .38 wheel gun. J&G Sales in AZ, was selling some DAO trade ins recently. The 64 is a heavy barrle stainless version of the carbon steel Model 10.

you are correct

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I will presume also it is a M64 , the stainless verson of the M10 . A decent loading of .38 +P is "reasonably adaquate" . CorBon's 11O JHP loading provides similar velocity and performance to major mfg's 110gr .357s .
    And Ruger Speed Sixes go for a premium over similar K frames.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    My only justification right now is that .38 is something good enough for me to train on and tame enough for my mother to shoot. I could see picking up a .38 and moving on to .357 in the future and leaving the .38 for my mom since she is getting a little uneasy about living with herself. Too many bizarre murders around town in the last few years.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    A .38 Special caliber wheel gun, loaded with Winchester 158 gr lead semi-wadcutter hollow points is a serious defense gun. Some of the 125 gr JHPs may be as effective.

I own a GP100 and do not load it with .357 ammo except for range time.

When I lived elsewhere I used to carry an alloy framed Colt snub nose with the Federal 125gr Nyclad lead HP. I didn't feel undergunned. Today a small framed Glock or S&W M&P in 9mm would be my #1 choice for carry.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    My only justification right now is that .38 is something good enough for me to train on and tame enough for my mother to shoot. I could see picking up a .38 and moving on to .357 in the future and leaving the .38 for my mom since she is getting a little uneasy about living with herself. Too many bizarre murders around town in the last few years.

You sound convinced...perhaps you should buy it before its gone. I saw it there last week....VERY NICE!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I own a GP100 and do not load it with .357 ammo except for range time.

May I ask why? I shoot about 30-50 rounds of .357 at range time to stay sharp, but it's mostly .38's at the range. My nightstand rounds however are always 125gr .357jhp.

Eudaimonia

Sep 1, 2009
    I just went through this dilemma. I wanted a GP100, but saw the DAO Model 64s at JG Sales and decided I could always get an S101 later if I really want a .357... ;)

I can't wait to bring it home next week and take it to the range.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    my next dilemma is looking at the nice little SP 101's in .327 Federal Mag...love the cartridge versatility and ballistics...as always I would be throwing off the shelf cartridge availability to the wind :(

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    May I ask why? I shoot about 30-50 rounds of .357 at range time to stay sharp, but it's mostly .38's at the range. My nightstand rounds however are always 125gr .357jhp.

I carried the .38 and it was enough. With newer bullet designs and powders .38 ammo particularly the +P stuff is hot enough. It really doesn't matter. I am almost done testing/breaking in my P2022 and that will be the house gun. 15+1 of 115gr 9mm JHP's beat the .38 or .357 for home defense.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I carried the .38 and it was enough. With newer bullet designs and powders .38 ammo particularly the +P stuff is hot enough. It really doesn't matter. I am almost done testing/breaking in my P2022 and that will be the house gun. 15+1 of 115gr 9mm JHP's beat the .38 or .357 for home defense.

I beg to disagree...if you miss your first shot with the .357 the report will make your attacker deaf and disoriented so you can then get closer for your second, third, fourth etc....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom