• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    are there any laws that restrict the use of a bow in residental aeras?

I live in a neighborhood off RT6 but I am surrounded by farm land. I have an 1/2 acre lot. My son is just getting into archery and i want to take him out in the back yard and use his 25# bow, is there any laws in MD, charles county that would prohibit us form shooting in the back yard.

I am using an old wooded shead for a back stop so no danger of going into someone's yard

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I think its the same as hunting, 150 yds from an occupied structure without occupants permission. Should be good to go unless neighbor is near. Have fun, be safe.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I think its the same as hunting, 150 yds from an occupied structure without occupants permission. Should be good to go unless neighbor is near. Have fun, be safe.

I dont know of any laws regarding archery. As long as your are at a safe distance shooting at a safe area with a safe backstop i wouldnt worry. Call DNR but im 99.9% sure there is no distance laws.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    150 yards from occupied dwelling unless you have permission from the owner of the dwelling. Do you have anyone behind you? If not, just go for it, and if your neighbors have a problem then stop. With a kid learning you will need a good back stop.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    I would check with local Law Enforcement, DNR should have no say in practicing archery in your yard. As long as you are not hunting.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Too bad most local law enforcement don't know the laws either...:rolleyes:

Sorry to say it but I have found most L.E.O. are short on brains and long on Ego. They think they know everything and have to be in charge of everything even when they have no business even in the area and no clue ( I see this almost every day)

Several years ago I was talking about hand guns and hunting, a young LEO spoke up and said If I saw you with a handgun i the woods I would arrest you for illegal possession of a handgun. This started another conversation and he started to get upset and saying he is a police officer and he knows the laws. TO that I went to my truck and pulled out my copy of the MD hunting regs and showed him the laws regarding handguns and hunting. he just walked out of the station pissed off and proven wrong.

at work, a few weeks ago we ran a toxic gas alarm. this is an alarm that goes off in a building if it detects a toxoc gas sort of like a special smoke detector (to simplfy it) when we got to the guilding we got out our meeters and went in the building and I see two LEO standing right beside the room that had the toxic gas alarm going off in with nothing but there ego to protect them.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I guess I'll have to be a bit more careful of who is out-n-about the next time I shoot my bow. I only have a 2/3 acre lot and shoot from my elevated deck into a bungee-secured bag target so even a miss(next to impossible from 20 yards) would only end up buried in my own yard. Before this past Winter, I had living 12' privacy bushes all around my property which the dang snow & ice flattened beyond survival and necessitated chainsaw surgery. Complete privacy has been reduced to perhaps 85% privacy.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Too bad most local law enforement dont know the laws either...:rolleyes:

Maybe a year or so ago, I was at BassPro looking at bows and crossbows; when a very nice guy struck up a conversation. I related that I didn't know much about bows, but had always been interested in shooting, not so much into bow hunting. I asked about using a crossbow for target shooting, and he advised against it, saying shooting a crossbow a lot put. Undue stress on it and wouldn't be a good idea. I asked if if was legal to shoot bow or crossbow immediately by my house at one of those archery targets? I did explain I lived in a typical burb neighborhood. He said sure, just be safe and he recommended I buy a good quality target (big block type), and to not use broadheads for target shooting, etc. We had a great, very helpful conversation, I forget exactly how it came up, but he did mention he was LEO.

This is just one of hundreds of positive encounters I've had with police.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    "I asked about using a crossbow for target shooting, and he advised against it, saying shooting a crossbow a lot put. Undue stress on it and wouldn't be a good idea" This is jut not true, they are made to be shot and not just looked at

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Thx! I might reconsider buying a crossbow for a little target shooting in the yard.

I think the LEO may have been misinformed. Found this post on a bow forum:

You'll be happy with it Crowhunter. It will probably last you the rest of your life too.

Do not worry about wearing out that crossbow.lol They will take an amazing number of shots. I've talked to crossbow shooters who have shot for many, many years with almost zero problems (especially the Excalibur shooters!). If you do have problems, then go back to the manufacturer and most of them are pretty good except for the cheap bows.

One more thing. Would you rather wear out that bow of have it sit around gathering dust and rust? Shoot it and have fun! You are in for a real treat.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Sorry to say it but I have found most L.E.O. are short on brains and long on Ego. They think they know everything and have to be in charge of everything even when they have no business even in the area and no clue ( I see this almost every day)

Several years ago I was talking about hand guns and hunting, a young LEO spoke up and said If I saw you with a handgun i the woods I would arrest you for illegal possession of a handgun. This started another conversation and he started to get upset and saying he is a police officer and he knows the laws. TO that I went to my truck and pulled out my copy of the MD hunting regs and showed him the laws regarding handguns and hunting. he just walked out of the station pissed off and proven wrong.

at work, a few weeks ago we ran a toxic gas alarm. this is an alarm that goes off in a building if it detects a toxoc gas sort of like a special smoke detector (to simplfy it) when we got to the guilding we got out our meeters and went in the building and I see two LEO standing right beside the room that had the toxic gas alarm going off in with nothing but there ego to protect them.

I'll bet those cops can spell.

Maryland_Pinz

Aug 9, 2010
    I got this off the DNR website for hunting regulations--here's the link:

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/hunting-regulations/

But here's what you were asking about. And I quote...

"In addition to the regulations listed elsewhere in this guide, it is unlawful to:

•Hunt, trap or shoot at wildlife within 150 yards of an occupied structure or camp without permission of the owner or occupant. This distance is 50 yards for archery hunters on private land in Frederick County only."

Hope this helps!

~Trigger~

Sep 6, 2010
    AZ Transplant
    In Mt. Airy, I was told that one needs a permit in order to shoot bow in their back yard.

But definitely reference all local ordinances just to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom