• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    So, just to follow up.... Military Surplus SS109 Ammo is illegal now??

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    So, just to follow up.... Military Surplus SS109 Ammo is illegal now??

No. Never has been and still isn't. A particular load for the FN 5.7x28 guns is called SS190 and it is AP according to ATF.

One of the issues in this thread is that some people are mistaking the SS109 and SS190 bullets. They are different. SS109 is an 5.56 round, SS190 is a FN 5.7x28 round.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Thanks Mikec. I also got myself all dyslexic earlier.

I know 3rd party sell them. Little interest myself, but it's nice to know they are out there in case I find an armored zombie groundhog. :)

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Patrick, I say we find the bum at FN who decided to name the rounds so closely and beat him. I think dead trout or rockfish would do the job. Teach him a lesson without hurting the guy.

I had to check the web several times to make sure I was using the correct terms myself.

Here are the two offending original rounds, I was lucky enough to purchase 5000 Rds each back in the day. The Black tipped ones are the SS190, fired from the P90, the SS190 propels a 31 grain bullet at a muzzle velocity of roughly 2,350 ft/s. It has a steel penetrator and an aluminum core, and will defeat most level IIIA armor. Currently still under manufacture by FN for Mil/Law sales only. The plain tipped ones are the SS192 JHP which will not penetrate armor and were the most prevalent civie round till 2004 when they were discontinued. But in no way were there specific rounds just for AP.

Side note we tested the SS190 on a ceramic breast plate using a P-90, standing alone it would richocet off. Place a sand bag tight up against the back of it and they would go thru like a BB thru a glass window continuing thru the sandbag and penetrate a ballistic gell block about 4", translation your dead armor or not. Same test with a 5.7 handgun, no penetration occurred.

101_0412.jpg
    [/IMG]

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    No. Never has been and still isn't. A particular load for the FN 5.7x28 guns is called SS190 and it is AP according to ATF.

One of the issues in this thread is that some people are mistaking the SS109 and SS190 bullets. They are different. SS109 is an 5.56 round, SS190 is a FN 5.7x28 round.

Actually, I was'nt mistaking it at all... M885 and SS109 5.56x45 rounds have a steel penetrator... and I was just curious if only SS190 rounds were illegal, or SS109 rounds were suddenly illegal.

You can get 5.56x45 SS109 surplus ammo/bullets cheap... and it'd really suck if they were suddenly illegal.

They're fairly handy for plinking.

My reply was a general call out, as opposed to strictly a P90 ammo concern.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Patrick, I say we find the bum at FN who decided to name the rounds so closely and beat him. I think dead trout or rockfish would do the job. Teach him a lesson without hurting the guy.

I had to check the web several times to make sure I was using the correct terms myself.

A Rockfish might be too much - they have some nasty sharp fins if I recall. If we were really mad at him we'd dump him in a tub of blues. Ouch.

I was out with the PS90 yesterday making sure I can still shoot straight when it is time to play Elmer Fudd on those Groundhog now eating everything in our gardens. I just hope they haven't armored up - I still don't know if I can buy AP ammo for the gun.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008

ATF never considered it AP. It was the brady video that did (showed it going through level II armor) and FN restricts sales of it MIL/LEO only. You can still find it but it's hella expensive.

FN then made the SS192. 27gr HP bullet same on LVII armor.

They moved to the SS195 that's discontinued.

The most prevalent round now is the SS197SR. Polymer tipped 40gr that's pretty much for plinking but I wouldnt want to get hit from one anyway.

They do have a certified AP bullet for the 5.7 load but it's wicked looking.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Actually, I was'nt mistaking it at all... M885 and SS109 5.56x45 rounds have a steel penetrator... and I was just curious if only SS190 rounds were illegal, or SS109 rounds were suddenly illegal.

You can get 5.56x45 SS109 surplus ammo/bullets cheap... and it'd really suck if they were suddenly illegal.

They're fairly handy for plinking.

My reply was a general call out, as opposed to strictly a P90 ammo concern.

Widener's has IMI M855 but I don't know if I would call it cheap. $453 for 1200 rounds. Very nice ammo.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=9019&dir=18|830|845

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Or go with the new PMC XTAC M855 LAP Tactical round for $320 a case delivered. I bought 1000 rounds and am getting ready to try it later this afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom