SB0281 - Firearm Safety Act of 2013 (aka, AWB)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    SB0281/HB0294 - Firearm Safety Act of 2013 (aka, AWB)

DO NOT DISCUSS PERCEIVED LOOPHOLES IN THIS BILL.
    DO NOT TELL US HOW YOU ARE MOVING OUT OF THE STATE.

Ladies and gents, welcome to the main event. This is the bill Governor O'Malley told us about, and we need to fight it.

The text of this bill is up, and the bill can be found here:
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=sb0281&stab=01&ys=2013RS

Direct link to text: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281f.pdf

The House version appears identical to the Senate version as of the first reading. Remember that for this bill to become law, it needs to be passed by both the House and the Senate.

The hearing for the Senate version of the bill will be held on February 6th. There is a thread on this elsewhere:
    http://mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=102961

Curious if your gun would be banned? There are flow charts for you to use:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2082414&postcount=506

Highlights of the bill:
    1. Guns will be grandfathered, but need to be registered.
    2. Magazines are the same as before, just lowered to 10rds.
    3. Muzzle brakes, comps, and threaded barrels are not banned features on rifles (but you would not be able to mount a suppressor, as it's a flash hider).
    4. Pump and bolt guns are exempted.
    5. Threaded barrels on pistols are banned, but only if they can be used for a muzzle device (aka, doesn't ban non-threaded-barrel P22s by accident).
    6. Restrictions on semi-auto shotguns are surprisingly light (folding/telescoping stock + PG is the only thing banned).
    7. Everything on the current regulated long arms list is banned, including their copies.
    8. Inheritance is in!
    9. Rimfire rifles are not included, but rimfire pistols are included.
    10. Bullet buttons seem to be addressed, but the language is bizarre and unclear.
    11. Carry permits require 16h training.
    12. Handgun permits require 8h training (or a carry permit), background check, and $100 every five years.
    13. Much more flexibility for prohibiting individuals from ownership on mental health issues.
    14. "Good and substantial reason" language for carry permits is still present.
    15. Bans possession of ammunition if you would be prohibited from owning a regulated firearm (which includes people under 21).

Please feel free to read the bill and email the senators who are 1) in the judicial committee and 2) sponsoring this bill. We want them to see well-crafted arguments about specifics of the bill. DO NOT DISCUSS PERCEIVED LOOPHOLES IN THIS BILL. As always, listen to MSI for instructions.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    They are going to further limit handgun permits? Are they ignoring the Courts? :sad20:

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    The President (By Request - Administration) and Senators Benson, Conway, Currie, Ferguson, Forehand, Frosh, Kelley, King, Madaleno, Manno, Montgomery, Peters, Pinsky, Ramirez, Raskin, Robey, Rosapepe, Young, and Zirkin
    Additional Facts: Bill File Type: Regular
    Effective Date(s): October 1, 2013
    By Request of the Governor

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    We knew this was coming. Time to write & call our representatives. Seems like these people should be called something else as they don't represent.

Oppressors.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Free Radical

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 14, 2012
    yOur Nation's Capital
    I'd like to be able to gauge the likelihood of this passing so I would know how to react, but there's nothing but a vague synopsis. But even just by that, it looks bad enough.

Damn, I hate democracy.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    Damn, I hate democracy.

I have to disagree with you there.

We don't live in a democracy. This is where most Americans screwed up and caused the troubles in our country we are now having. We live in a REPUBLIC were elected officials are only legitimized and are subject to adhering to, a CONSTITUTION that they are to uphold. While we certainly elect them with a democratic "majority rule" process, they are subject to following the constitution. This is why the USA is referred to as a "nation of laws". The Constitution *is* the supreme law.

Instead, people think we live in a democracy where whatever the majority wants, they get....which is incorrect.

And you know what? It's the peoples fault. OUR fault...we elect these pandering fools.

Free Radical

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 14, 2012
    yOur Nation's Capital
    I have to disagree with you there.

We don't live in a democracy. This is where most Americans screwed up and caused the troubles in our country we are now having. We live in a REPUBLIC were elected officials are only legitimized and are subject to adhering to, a CONSTITUTION that they are to uphold. While we certainly elect them with a democratic "majority rule" process, they are subject to following the constitution. This is why the USA is referred to as a "nation of laws". The Constitution *is* the supreme law.

Instead, people think we live in a democracy where whatever the majority wants, they get....which is incorrect.

And you know what? It's the peoples fault. OUR fault...we elect these pandering fools.

It is a de jure republic, yes; but, we really function as a de facto democracy, since the rule of law and Constitution apparently don't mean a goddamn thing. The majority pretty much does always get what it wants. All the gun bills that have been passed and the ones that will be passed soon without regard to the Second Amendment are clear evidence of that. Two wolves and a sheep, man…

Also, don't collectivize "the people" as if you and I are somehow responsible for the dumb votes of others and for the stupid, unconstitutional laws our "representatives" legislate.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    prohibiting, with specified exceptions, a person from transporting an assault weapon into the State or possessing

How do you get Grandfathered with the word "Possessing"?

LEO's buy their AR's with their money, they will be the exception.

What did I miss?

RLBosley

In Christ Alone
    Dec 14, 2012
    Middle River

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    prohibiting, with specified exceptions, a person from transporting an assault weapon into the State or possessing

What did I miss?

Without the bills text no idea, but generally you don't. Say by-by to your "assault weapons".. :mad54:

SamW

Apr 2, 2007
    Western Md
    "If you have to get a license to drive a car on the street or a motorcycle on the street I think most Marylanders -- Democrats, Republicans, and Independents -- agree that you should have to be license in order to operate a firearm,"
    Gov O' Malley

He doesn't even know (or care) the difference between a privilege and a right.

Mr H

Banana'd

What did I miss?

The words that could suggest grandfathering are 'with specified exceptions'

Waiting to see the whole text before judging, here. But it's bad. Just a matter of how bad.

Now the contact battle begins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom