• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    Then we'll have to change the smilie lineup:

:mdpatriot:mdpatriot:mdpatriot:mdpatriot:mdpatriot:mdpatriot:mdpatriot:mdpatriot:mdpatriot:toothless

:D

that is funny, but it would be funnier if i was from West Virginia! :lol2:

south-carolina-flag-waving-emoticon-us-state-animated.gif

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    so you think we'll have more than 4 or 5 pullers??
    If the MD turnout is any indication, "yes". Not sure how many Virginians Steve is expecting yet.

Whatever the number, I sure hope we have enough to keep things moving. Last match, it sure seemed like the puller for #1 and #2 were the same guy. I don't think I EVER saw both targets move at the same time and it sure messed with my attempts to learn from my wind calls. Willie told me they definitely had a puller for every target, so the guys down at that end must have just been a little slow . . . or something. :tap:

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Is there a step by step that explains this shoot? I want to be prepared...

No worries dude, there are plenty of folks to help you and it isn't rocket science to count the rounds you shoot. Unless of course you're a Marine, then they have a Army guy there to count em for ya.:lol2:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    LOL Terry. :D
    Is there a step by step that explains this shoot? I want to be prepared...
    I don't think so, but I can quickly outline it for you:

1) Arrive around 0815 at Range 4.

2) Mill around until they start taking fees and squadding folks up, usually by 0830/0845.

You'll be with us at this point, because you and another friend are both using one of my rifles, so I need to get you on different relays and on the same squad.

A squad is the group of shooters sharing a firing point/target over the span of several relays.

We will be assigned a squad/target number, and we will align ourselves on that target, and shoot in the order of our relays at each yardage.

3) Unload gear and get it ready to move to the firing line while everyone gets signed in.

4) Move to the 800 yard line, which involves walking our gear down from the vehicles parked at the 1,000 yard line.

5) Set up on the firing point and either prepare to shoot, or watch the first relays shoot.

When you're not shooting, you might assist with scoring or spotting, or just relax and watch the shooting and the wind.

Watching the wind is strongly encouraged so that we can get a feel for what it's doing when we get ready to shoot.

6)
    When it's your turn to fire, you get comfy and shoot some sighter shots. The sighters give you a chance to get used to the rifle some, to get a range zero, and to see what the wind is doing. Someone will coach you and help you get on, so all you really need to do is think about your marksmanship and try to stay comfortable and consistent.

Each time you shoot, a target puller in the pits will pull your target down and mark it with two spotting disks. One disk is reversible, and will be white on black for hits in the black, or black on white for hits in the white, and this disk will show your exact point of impact for each shot. The second disk is larger and orange, and it will be placed in a position on the target to indicate scoring value.

I suggest that once a person is zeroed, they continue to shoot a couple more sighters at varying phases of the wind (during letoffs and pickups) so that they have an idea of what the wind changes are going to do to them and can compensate while shooting if needed.

7) Once our sighters are finished, we begin record fire, which is no more complicated than saying to our scorekeeper "OK, I'm ready for record fire", without breaking position, etc.. Record fire at 800 is 15 rounds, and someone will be helping you, suggesting fine sight adjustments, etc., and you shoot at pretty much your own pace until finished. There IS a time limit per relay, but we seldom even come close to that, and so mwe just concentrate on our shooting.

8) Once we all finish shooting at 800, we will make our rifles safe and move back to 900. It's pretty much the same deal at 800, but we only have two sighters. We know about what it takes to change our sights from 800 to 900, so we dial that in, estimate any wind changes and compensate as needed, and then fling one. If the adjustments were good, it will be in the X or 10 ring and we shoot another sighter to verify it. If it's not quite right, we make a fine adjustment and shoot our second sighter. This should get us VERY close, and minor adjustments can be made as we shoot our record shots. Since there are only two sighters at 900, everyone will pretty much know when we begin our record fire, which is also 15 shots.

9) Once everyone is finished shooting the 900 yard stage, we make our rifles safe and pack it back to the 1k line. Again, we have two sighters, and it's usually a simple matter to dial on a little more elevation to get on at 1k. The wind often increases a little by that time of day, and what wind is there will require more compensation at the greater distances, so we might dial on more wind too.

10)
    We shoot our record shots at 1k, and there are 20 record rounds this time, for a total of 50.

We will all score for each other and all shooters are scored on the firing line as we shoot our record rounds, and after each shooter completes his relay, that score is totaled and given to the match director (Willie or his representative). Willie will track the scores on his clipboard, and each squad will have a clipboard will all score sheets on it.

11)
    At the end of the 1,000 yard stage, we'll pack our gear and move off the line as we finish. I usually put my stuff away and wait for the rest of the gang to finish shooting, and/or help spot or score as needed. Once all shooters are finished, scores will be totaled and the finishing order announced. Within a couple days, Steve will post the results here and a couple other places.

During the time we are shooting, there is opportunity to use the port-a-pots, or grab something to eat or drink, etc. at your vehicle, but I like to carry my stuff out with me. A small backpack is handy, but you won't have a lot to carry because you'll be sharing our gear and we'll be sharing the load out.

The big thing is to enjoy ourselves and have an nice safe day of shooting.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    No worries dude, there are plenty of folks to help you and it isn't rocket science to count the rounds you shoot. Unless of course you're a Marine, then they have a Army guy there to count em for ya.:lol2:

Now I get why Terry always wants me on his lane. To count for him :lol2:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    South on I-95 to VA exit 148. Turn right (west) at the bottom of the ramp and follow Russel Road to the gate shack. Have ID ready and tell the MPs you're headed to Range 4 for the match, and then follow the road (Now "MCB 1") another 1-1/2 to 2 miles to Range 4 on the right. No CCW on base, so unload and secure any firearms before getting to the gate.

Here is a map that should help once you get off I-95: http://www.quanticoshootingclub.com/downloads/qsc_map.pdf

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Yes, you will need to hear commands, as always, for safey's sake.

Doubling up should not be a problem, because if they call a cease fire or similar, there are plenty of us right there to give you a stomp . . er . . I mean nudge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom