• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Immediate Action Needed

Thanks to your previous efforts, the bill to reform the language with which we will be able to exercise our right to self defense has a total of 42 sponsors and co-sponsors. We are pleased to report that Delegate Dan Riley (D - District 34A - Cecil and Harford) has submitted the bill and it now registered as HB470.

HB470 would repeal the requirement for the State Police to find that a person has a good and substantial reason for the issuance of a permit to wear, carry or transport a handgun. This would effectively let Maryland join the ranks of the vast majority of states who recognize the right to self-defense.

Now is where the hard begins and it is imperative that we move quickly since the hearing for the bill is scheduled for February 24 at 1pm.

What we need you to do:

•Contact the members of the House Judiciary Committee who are not already co-sponsors of the bill and ask for a favorable report on HB470, Handgun Requirements - Repeal of Finding Requirement. Remind them that Maryland is in the distinct minority of states when it comes to its current policy on the issuance of permits. Remind them that this will not change in anyway the necessity for criminal background checks for either the permit process or the purchase of a firearm.

•It is particularly important that as many people from the districts of the Delegates below make contacts. Those communications are invaluable to educating these legislators from districts traditionally thought of as anti-self-defense.

Samuel I. Rosenberg
    Curtis S. (Curt) Anderson
    Benjamin S. Barnes
    Jill P. Carter
    Frank M. Conaway, Jr.
    Kathleen M. Dumais
    Benjamin F. Kramer
    Susan C. Lee
    Gerron S. Levi
    Victor R. Ramirez
    Luiz R. S. Simmons
    Kriselda Valderrama
    Jeffrey D. Waldstreicher

•Contact Chairman Vallario and respectfully request that he allow for a hearing and, most importantly, a vote on the bill which will be appearing before his committee on February 24th.

JOSEPH F. VALLARIO, JR.
    House Office Building, Room 101
    6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401
    (410) 841-3488, (301) 858-3488
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3488 (toll free)
    e-mail: joseph.vallario@house.state.md.us
    fax: (410) 841-3850, (301) 858-3850

TOOLS TO ASSIST YOU (thanks to our friends at MDShooters.com):
    Quick email tool (thanks to MSI Executive Member Jim S.)
    Find your delegate
    Pre-formatted mailing labels for the House Judiciary Committee
    How to create mail merge letters using pre-formatted labels

Maryland Shall Issue.org
    P.O. Box 314
    Libertytown, MD
    21762-0314
    ph. 240-446-6782

Mission Statement
    "Maryland Shall Issue is an all volunteer, non-partisan effort dedicated to the preservation and advancement of all gunowners' rights in Maryland, with a primary goal of CCW reform to allow all law-abiding citizens the right to carry a concealed weapon; and to the education of the community to the awareness that 'shall issue' laws have, in all cases, resulted in decreased rates of violent crime."

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Almost the exact same group that hadn't signed on to the Civil Immunity Bill. I'll send them something this morning.

Chairman Vallario is a slightly different story. I'll need a little more time to compose something to him, but I'll get something knocked out today.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I've emailed the committee members you listed and contacted 9 friends in MD who also want to see this pass, and provided them with the contact information and sample verbiage.

I have contacted The Honorable JOSEPH F. VALLARIO, JR. separately and most respectively.

Thank you!

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Man, being an "activist" is hard! (sarcasm)

I'm at a computer most of the day anyway, sending a bunch of emails isn't a problem. Hopefully we can get a good response out of this effort as well.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'll get on it Norton.

Are letters prefered over emails? It's a PITA but if you think it's worth it I'll do that.

Pretty sure out of the Del Dwyer meeting it was stated to do both. Send an e-mail and follow up with snail mail. I usually give my reps a day or two to respond before I spend the postage.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'll get on it Norton.

Are letters prefered over emails? It's a PITA but if you think it's worth it I'll do that.

I'm a letter sort of guy when I have the luxury of time for it to get to them.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Fortunately we have some districts that have common sense in who they elect.

Me? I'm 1 for 3 on my delegates having sense. :sad20:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Didn't your district provide us with Michael Busch? :sad20: :puke:

And that dishrag Virginia "Save the Bay" Clagett.

At least Ron George is on our side as is Senator Astle most of the time.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Let me make sure I've got this straight. There will be a Judicial Committee hearing on this bill, they'll talk about it, possibly hold more hearings on it, then the Chairman of the Committee allows/disallows a vote on the bill. If the bill makes it out of the Committee, it goes to the House floor. Does it automatically receive a vote here, or can it get squashed?

How have similar bills fared in the past? Being somewhat ignorant of state politics, I would assume that similar bills have died a fast death on the House floor, but I certainly hope I'm wrong on that.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Chairman decides whether there will even be a hearing.

If there is a hearing, Chairman decides if there will be a vote.

If it passes out of committee (presuming there is a vote) and is passed on the floor of the House it goes to the opposite chamber's committee, in this case to the Senate JPR.

The process starts all over there.

It can be torpedoed at any stage of the game.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    And Vallario has a pretty negative reputation, so there's a decent chance that this bill will end up dying in the committee, because one guy doesn't want to even hold a hearing on it?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    And Vallario has a pretty negative reputation, so there's a decent chance that this bill will end up dying in the committee, because one guy doesn't want to even hold a hearing on it?

He's fair and equitable is my read on him.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom