Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (http://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   Rimfire (http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Which .22 pistol cycles subsonic rounds best? (http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=20570)

ATTYSHOOTER June 4th, 2009 07:39 PM

Which .22 pistol cycles subsonic rounds best?

I am interested in a target/plinker semi-auto .22 pistol that cycles subsonic ammo well to keep peace with the neighbors. Any suggestions?

rrrrrrkevin June 4th, 2009 10:35 PM

you know you still need a suppressor right? and in a pistol the barrel isnt really long enough for subsonic ammo to make any noticeable difference(when using a suppressor)

ATTYSHOOTER June 5th, 2009 07:02 AM

I don't need it that quiet, I just want to be able to say I am doing my best (without paying the tax stamp for a suppressor).

You might have a point about barrel length in a pistol, but I have a rifle with a 20 inch barrel and there is a pretty significant difference between subsonic and ordinary ammo even without a suppressor. The subsonic rounds don't have the loud "crack" as the bullet breaks the sound barrier.

Some target pistols (Ruger, Buckmark) come in 6 and 7 inch barrel lengths. Is this long enough to hear a difference? I don't have any experience with subsonics in a pistol, so I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Half-cocked June 5th, 2009 07:10 AM

You might want to ask over at www.rimfirecentral.com

FWIW, I haven't found any .22 subsonic ammo that will cycle either a S&W 22A, Walther P22, or Ruger 22/45.

I suspect it might be possible to "tune" a .22 pistol to cycle with subsonics, by changing the recoil spring, but that's just speculation on my part.

mike_in_md June 5th, 2009 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half-cocked (Post 319932)
You might want to ask over at www.rimfirecentral.com

FWIW, I haven't found any .22 subsonic ammo that will cycle either a S&W 22A, Walther P22, or Ruger 22/45.

I suspect it might be possible to "tune" a .22 pistol to cycle with subsonics, by changing the recoil spring, but that's just speculation on my part.

I agree that changing the recoil spring will be the solution. I recommend that you call the manufacturer and confirm this. They might even tell you what spring weight works best for a certain ammo brand.

mch28 June 5th, 2009 07:21 AM

On the Browning Buckmark I took 2 coils off the main spring to help it cycle some standard velocity Federal ammo I have. It helped it cycle them correctly, but I was getting a lot of light firing pin strikes. Had to get a new spring for it. I just use the high velocity ammo in it now and save the standard velocity for my internally suppressed 10/22. I have already tuned it to cycle them correctly.

The Walthers won't cycle correctly on anything less than high velocity either. I haven't tried any spring mods yet.

leroygibbs June 5th, 2009 08:26 AM

Go the revolver route, and shoot anything you want.... You can even get them with 7.5inch barrel, but for what it's worth I can definately hear the difference between HV and sub-sonic in my single six with the 5.5 inch barrel....

dwnthehatch June 5th, 2009 09:15 AM

I had a ruger MKIII with 6 7/8" barrel. I never found any subsonic ammo that would cycle it. They were still pretty loud too.

simplegreen June 5th, 2009 09:48 AM

never have any problems with my Walther p22 using Remington subsonic ammo

Mark C June 5th, 2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leroygibbs (Post 319978)
Go the revolver route, and shoot anything you want.... You can even get them with 7.5inch barrel, but for what it's worth I can definately hear the difference between HV and sub-sonic in my single six with the 5.5 inch barrel....

I was going to suggest revolver also. Ruger Single Six comes in models up to 9" barrel length.

ATTYSHOOTER June 6th, 2009 04:52 PM

Thanks for all the input.

Onua June 7th, 2009 07:18 AM

do subsonic rounds even break the sound barrier? I thought that was the whole purpose of them being SUB-sonic

that being said i run sub sonics in my suppressed mosquito alot. I did some tweaking with a spare recoil spring and that seems to have cleared it up.

Topher June 7th, 2009 09:24 AM

Anybody have any experience with the Sig Mosquito Sport?
Looks tempting....

Half-cocked June 7th, 2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onua (Post 321037)
do subsonic rounds even break the sound barrier? I thought that was the whole purpose of them being SUB-sonic

that being said i run sub sonics in my suppressed mosquito alot. I did some tweaking with a spare recoil spring and that seems to have cleared it up.

I am pretty sure that even standard-velocity .22LR's are subsonic, when fired from a 3.5" or even 5.5" barrel... Super-high-velocity .22LR's, like CCI Stingers or Remington Yellowjackets, might be supersonic from pistol barrels though.

It would be a great research project for someone with a chronometer.

novus collectus June 7th, 2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onua (Post 321037)

They are supposed to be subsonic when fired from a rifle, but I chronied some .22 Remington subsonics one time and the velocity varied a lot between rounds and some of them were supersonic.
RWS subsonic was extremely consistent and always stayed below the sound barrier. I hear that only the Remingtons are badly inconsistent.

Splitter June 7th, 2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher (Post 321089)
Anybody have any experience with the Sig Mosquito Sport?
Looks tempting....

Not the sport model, but I do have a Skeeter. It's ammo finicky and prefers certain brands of higher quality ammo. Mine won't run anythhing in bulk except thunderbolts and they are dirty as all get out. It loves Federal Auto Match the best.

I use the light (white) spring because the heavier spring won't cycle anything reliably. even then, when I use underpowered ammo, it is jam city and often will not even start to load the next cartridge.

GREAT GUN though and not as picky on ammo as I originally feared.

Splitter

ATTYSHOOTER June 8th, 2009 05:39 PM

I am suprised to hear from so many folks that guns which are often supressed (Ruger MK series, P22, etc.) have cycling/feed problems with subsonic .22 ammo. Isn't the whole point of these guns (at least when a supressor is added) to use subsonic ammo? For those of you with experience with supressors, do you typically expect to modify the recoil spring to reliably cycle subsonics? Is there something else one does to modify the gun to reliably cycle subsonics?

mch28 June 8th, 2009 05:59 PM

With the shorter barrels on pistols, the high velocity ammo doesn't have enough barrel to reach super sonic speed. So the use of subsonics doesn't really decrease the sound signature by much. It does help to some extent, but isn't worth the hassle to tune the springs to them.

Edward78 June 9th, 2009 05:32 PM

Every Gun is different but I have had no problem with subs in my S&W 22A.

BlackBart June 9th, 2009 06:41 PM

My Ruger Mk ll won't cycle .22 shorts, have no idea of what the pressure difference is.