PDA

View Full Version : help me buy a suppressor for a P22, please

frankie
September 16th, 2008, 08:09 PM
after checking out this review here (http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=4466) i've narrowed down my choices to two

-lauer (LCW) suppressor seems like an awesome deal, i found a package deal for the P22 and the suppressor here (http://www.lauerweaponry.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=LCWSWPP&storeid=1&image=p22black.gif&CFID=26427410&CFTOKEN=45288404).

-swr warlock suppressor, they are more quiet but also more expensive and cannot be taken apart to be cleaned

i would like to spend as little as possible but i dont want it to be as loud as the tac 65

thoughts?

xd40c
September 16th, 2008, 08:54 PM
after checking out this review here (http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=4466) i've narrowed down my choices to two

-lauer (LCW) suppressor seems like an awesome deal, i found a package deal for the P22 and the suppressor here (http://www.lauerweaponry.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=LCWSWPP&storeid=1&image=p22black.gif&CFID=26427410&CFTOKEN=45288404).

-swr warlock suppressor, they are more quiet but also more expensive and cannot be taken apart to be cleaned

i would like to spend as little as possible but i dont want it to be as loud as the tac 65

thoughts?

Paging Jeep.....

JeepDriver
September 16th, 2008, 09:01 PM

thoughts?

While the Tac 65 might not be the best on the market it's still a damn good little suppressor. I'm happy with mine. I like having a user servicable suppressor, you'll be amazed at how many rounds you'll put through it once you get it. The round count piles up quick! I've shot a fair amount of different suppressors and while they may list at a 10dB difference, You'll be hard pressed to tell it with the naked ear. I am going to buy atleast 1 or 2 more screw on 22 suppressors, and they will be Tactical Innovations suppressors. The Stratus and Quest are on my short list.

As for ordering online, you'll be better off finding a stocking dealer or ordering through a dealer then ordering online. Paying the dealers transfer fee, can add $75-125 to the cost.

SWR makes a great suppressor, just be willing to wait. I've waited 4 months at work for some suppressors from them. They are a small and busy company with a quality product.

If you want something that is quiet, has great customer service (that you'll never need) and is affordable the Gem Tech Outback II might be the can you should look at. It's not user servicable (atleast that's what Gem Tech says, heat it in the oven @ 400 for a while and the loctight melts and the end caps come off). They are generally readily avaliable and are priced in the low $300 range.

If you can make it to the October shoot you can shoot my Tac 65 and you'll see they are not that loud.

boothdoc
September 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM
:DHey Jeep:
Can you buy a 223 silencer that works well on a 22 also?
How about a bolt action .308? What would you suggest?

Numidian
September 16th, 2008, 09:16 PM

You can always go down in caliber, just they won't suppress the sound quite as well... And .22 is very dirty and you probably don't want to run .22's through a centerfire silencer

JeepDriver
September 16th, 2008, 09:17 PM

It's not usually suggested to use 22's in a 223 suppressor. Several manufacturers have publicly stated that this will void the warranty.

The leading that a 22 causes isn't good when you decide to shoot .223/5.56 through it. It can cause a few failuers. First is the lead can break away and cause baffel strikes, or even worse, a tube puncture. Another problem is that the lead can melt in the high heat that is created when shooting .223/5.56. If you have the lead melt in one range session and land on one side of the suppressor, the the next time the suppressor is indexed differently and breaks away, baffle strike or KB!

For bolt action 308 the SWR Omega, Gem Tech HVT or Yankee Hill 762 Phantom are all great can's. The benifit of the 308 can is that you can use it on a .223/5.56 gun with no ill effects. Using it on a 22 is again, not recomended. The YHM is best for this with the quick detach Phantom flash suppressor.

boothdoc
September 16th, 2008, 09:25 PM
So- a 308 can works well on a 223 or should one buy a 223 for a 223 and a 308 for a 308? I see no reason to buy a can if it doesnt work well.

SCARCQB
September 16th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I hate to cut in. I know this question was for Jeepdriver. but if you want a suppressor that will work for .308, 5.56 and 22LR ( multicaliber capability), it is tough to beat the YHM Phantom 308 Can. This suppressor is a quick connect .308 suppressor that can be purchased with additional quick connectors/ adapters for 5.56, 22LR. It should also work for the 6.8 SPC round.

Centerfire calibers are effectively suppressed by this can, Firing 22LR can cause lead build-up in the baffles, So use jacketed 22s only. The .308 hole also aids in reducing buildup from 22s. You can also do an occasional 20 round mag dunp in 308 to clean out any lead problems. TL guns used to make a multicaliber can , but the company went under several years ago.

Imagine, one Can, one stamp and you can suppress just about any rifle out there. Phantom cans should set you back no more than 700 dollars with a 308 adapter. Additional adapters are about 75 dollars each.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_YaSd5ErfY

frankie
September 16th, 2008, 10:10 PM
While the Tac 65 might not be the best on the market it's still a damn good little suppressor. I'm happy with mine. I like having a user servicable suppressor, you'll be amazed at how many rounds you'll put through it once you get it. The round count piles up quick! I've shot a fair amount of different suppressors and while they may list at a 10dB difference, You'll be hard pressed to tell it with the naked ear. I am going to buy atleast 1 or 2 more screw on 22 suppressors, and they will be Tactical Innovations suppressors. The Stratus and Quest are on my short list.

As for ordering online, you'll be better off finding a stocking dealer or ordering through a dealer then ordering online. Paying the dealers transfer fee, can add $75-125 to the cost.

SWR makes a great suppressor, just be willing to wait. I've waited 4 months at work for some suppressors from them. They are a small and busy company with a quality product.

If you want something that is quiet, has great customer service (that you'll never need) and is affordable the Gem Tech Outback II might be the can you should look at. It's not user servicable (atleast that's what Gem Tech says, heat it in the oven @ 400 for a while and the loctight melts and the end caps come off). They are generally readily avaliable and are priced in the low $300 range.

If you can make it to the October shoot you can shoot my Tac 65 and you'll see they are not that loud.

well if you say the tac 65 is not notably louder then i will probably get it. there's a package deal here (http://www.impactguns.com/store/product2296.html)for $499 - includes the tac 65 and a p22

are you saying that i could be paying less by purchasing everything through a dealer here? do you know of any near rockville?

NateTheShake
September 17th, 2008, 06:49 AM
well if you say the tac 65 is not notably louder then i will probably get it. there's a package deal here (http://www.impactguns.com/store/product2296.html)for $499 - includes the tac 65 and a p22

are you saying that i could be paying less by purchasing everything through a dealer here? do you know of any near rockville?

Keep in mind when you buy online you still have to have both shipped and transferred through a MD dealer. This will negate any minimal savings you might find online. Handguns are normally $25-50 to transfer (plus s&h) and the can will be between $75-125 to transfer through an SOT (plus s&h). You're already looking at around $100-$175 in transfer fees. I'm not totally clear on this one, but I don't think you can transfer an NFA item through just any dealer, it has to be an SOT (Special Occupational Tax aka "Class III Dealer").

Plus that $499 doesn't include the tax stamp ($200). Add it all together ($499 + $200 + 100 = $799 at the cheapest) and you'll end up just barely breaking even compared to a dealer and adding all kinds of complication to the process. But hey, it's your time and money.

It's a bit of a drive, but it's be worth it to check out Continental Arms in Reisterstown or Timonium. Both are SOT dealers and will walk you through the entire process step-by-step. You might end up spending a few extra bucks, but for a first-time NFA purchase it's worth it for the help they can offer.

As for cans, I have a TAC-65 and I'm completely happy with mine. It was fairly affordable and works very well.

I echo Jeep's comment about NOT shooting rimfire rounds through a centerfire suppressor. Having cleaned my TAC-65 numerous times I can say that rimfire is VERY VERY VERY dirty. It's just not worth the risk of ruining a perfectly good can. If you have a baffle strike you're looking at a few hundred bucks for repair (and a voided warranty) and if the tube is damaged then you're looking at trashing the entire can (as the tube is the serialized part).

frankie
September 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Plus that $499 doesn't include the tax stamp ($200). Add it all together ($499 + $200 + 100 = $799 at the cheapest) and you'll end up just barely breaking even compared to a dealer and adding all kinds of complication to the process. But hey, it's your time and money.

It's a bit of a drive, but it's be worth it to check out Continental Arms in Reisterstown or Timonium. Both are SOT dealers and will walk you through the entire process step-by-step. You might end up spending a few extra bucks, but for a first-time NFA purchase it's worth it for the help they can offer.

i've called a few places and they want an outrageously expensive amount.

continental arms wants $950 for a p22 + tac 65 package...ridiculous

potomac guns and train wants $380 for the p22 + $280 for the tac 65 + $40 for the adapter..ugh

does anyone know someone who will transfer a p22+suppressor for cheap?

JeepDriver
September 17th, 2008, 02:00 PM
continental arms wants $950 for a p22 + tac 65 package...ridiculous

I just called to double check and spoke to Andy. The P22 with Tac 65, thread adaptor, maryland state tax, MSP back ground check fee ($10) and federal tax stamp ($200) is:

$888.40 out the door at Continental Arms.

K Train
September 17th, 2008, 02:11 PM
have you looked at any other guns besides the P22, like the SIG Mosquito? i have a TAC65 Can on my Mosquito w/ no problems.

i have about $300 +$40 shipping & transfers into the gun
i have owned both p22 and mosquito, this is by far the better one.

i have $300 in supressor w/ adapter + $200 for the tax.

so 800+ is the going rate, if you wanna play, you gotta pay

Numidian
September 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM
potomac guns and train wants $380 for the p22 + $280 for the tac 65 + $40 for the adapter..ugh

Don't forget the $200 tax stamp for a silencer, Maryland tax 6%, $10 MSP regulated firearm form... Is that all included in that price?

Guns are like cars... Talk in out the door prices or your absolutely wasting your time. If you're not talking out the door prices, you get nickel and dimed all day long on forms and taxes etc etc etc...

frankie
September 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I just called to double check and spoke to Andy. The P22 with Tac 65, thread adaptor, maryland state tax, MSP back ground check fee ($10) and federal tax stamp ($200) is:

$888.40 out the door at Continental Arms.

interesting, that's definitely not what i was told

i thought about it and i'm basically paying $50 extra to get the gun locally vs $499 package from internet + $130 transfer/ship + $200 stamp

JeepDriver
September 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM
interesting, that's definitely not what i was told

i thought about it and i'm basically paying $50 extra to get the gun locally vs $499 package from internet + $130 transfer/ship + $200 stamp

The little midget in Annoplis is getting his cut which is a fair amount of that $50.

If you come in and see me on a Tueday or Thursday night (I work 5-9) and pay cash I can get that price a little lower !

h2u
September 17th, 2008, 05:22 PM
The little midget in Annoplis is getting his cut which is a fair amount of that $50.

If you come in and see me on a Tueday or Thursday night (I work 5-9) and pay cash I can get that price a little lower !

Don't forget to show him the 22/45 either............;)

NateTheShake
September 18th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Don't forget the $200 tax stamp for a silencer, Maryland tax 6%, $10 MSP regulated firearm form... Is that all included in that price?

Guns are like cars... Talk in out the door prices or your absolutely wasting your time. If you're not talking out the door prices, you get nickel and dimed all day long on forms and taxes etc etc etc...

Exactly. What Jeep quoted is going to end up coming damn close to anything you can find online, only it'll all be done at one shop by people who know the paperwork process.

Unfortunately we're not the right state to be bargain hunting. Not to mention when it comes to NFA toys, "cheap" ceases to be a part of normal vocabulary.

4g64loser
September 18th, 2008, 11:07 PM
my paperwork is in for a "22" model suppressor from my usual supplier, Richard Creager. His cans are NOT compact. nearly a foot long, the can is rated for .22 magnum (we are going to try it with .17 hmr to see how it works- a single-shot rifle is going to be threaded) and is VERY quiet. side by side with a TAC65 it is far superior. it is marginally better than a John's Guns can, but the advantage in suppression is offset for most people by the greater size and weight. I recommend John's Guns .22 cans over Tac65s. at least as light and quieter with all loads tested.

I am now sold on John's Guns products. the .223 rated can (forget the name) with the quick disconnect that couples to a flash suppressor on an AR15 is GREAT. full-auto rated, it whips GEMTECH and SWR. We tried the .45 can from them on Richard's HK tactical and it beat the Blackside so badly he sold the ones he had at the demonstration. I plan to get a King Ex in .308 from them for my Savage 10FP. ought to be my toy. (after my three special .22s are completed to mate up to the can Richard made me)

3rdRcn
September 19th, 2008, 06:00 AM
4g64loser, do you have any links to these guys web sites so I can do a little reading on them?

JeepDriver
September 19th, 2008, 07:50 AM
John's Guns (http://www.johnsguns.us/)

carryaglock
September 20th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Guys I'm a CIII Dealer/Manufacturer in wv., I'm also a Gemtec Dealer, and Master Dealer for Coastal Suppressors. I will beat those prices hands down anytime. It would work like this, you make your purchase through me I transfer it from me to a SOT of your choice in MD,(that cost nothing for a CIII) you complete the required paperwork with them and pay only his normal NFA transfer cost to you plus the price for the tax stamp and you're good to go. Due to resellers agreements I can't post publicly prices below theirs but email me at mgross@practical-defense.com and I will send you a quote. Mods if I've screwed up posting this here please delete it.

sbarber7973
September 20th, 2008, 08:36 AM
You should have DD214 put you in the dealer Connection section so we have other Class III options available to us

http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

carryaglock
September 20th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the info ,I will do that.
You should have DD214 put you in the dealer Connection section so we have other Class III options available to us

http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Kharn
September 26th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Whats the consensus on P22 vs Sig Mosquito vs Ruger MkIII for suppressing? It seems that the P22 is the favorite, but even with my tiny little hands it was just too small. :confused:

Kevp
September 26th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Whats the consensus on P22 vs Sig Mosquito vs Ruger MkIII for suppressing? It seems that the P22 is the favorite, but even with my tiny little hands it was just too small. :confused:

Kharn,

What are you going to use it for? I have all three (MK II, not MK III) and my favorite is the Ruger. Why? Mostly the accuracy. The cans I use are a Gemtech Outback II and a Tactical Innovations Quest.

The Quest is a stainless can and I use it exclusively on the Ruger which is also stainless. I bought this MK II from Dan at Gun Connection used (a good price I might add) and it is a 10" bull barrel target model. I did not chop it down, but simply had it threaded and the sights moved back. When most people see it they say WTF due to the size with the can. That changes when they see how accurate it is- tickling and breaking clays at 100yds is tough to beat.

The Gemtech goes on the other two and they are fine, but they are not Rugers. The one thing I have found is that the can makes the Sig run. Prior to getting the can, that Mosquito would only run reliably with CCI. This is common. It runs with everything now, even Remington subsonic. I would attribute this to the additional back pressure.

I like them all, but the Ruger is my favorite. It just depends on what you want to do. If you want accuracy, go Ruger and longer barrel.

JeepDriver
September 26th, 2008, 05:27 PM

If you get board one day let me know, I have all 3 you can try out with my Tac 65.

I had the P22 first, then bought hte Mosquito and finally got a Tac Sol upper for my 22/45. Now that I have the Tac Sol upper my Mosquito and P22 have been cleaned up and put away. The Tac Sol threaded upper is the best money I've spent on a gun in a while. It's more accurate, has been 100% reliable and is the most fun to shoot.

Kharn
September 26th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I'm not looking for the integral can, I want to be able to swap it onto an AR SBR with Ceiner. Any particular reason for getting the TacSol upper vs just having a Ruger threaded? Adco's charging $140 for threading vs the $300ish for the TacSol...

I already have a MkII Govt (6 7/8" bull barrel) which I shoot about 200rds every week so I'm pretty used to a long, heavy Ruger, but I'd get a different one to thread as this was the first pistol I ever bought.

Kevp
September 26th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I'm not looking for the integral can, I want to be able to swap it onto an AR SBR with Ceiner. Any particular reason for getting the TacSol upper vs just having a Ruger threaded? Adco's charging $140 for threading vs the $300ish for the TacSol...

I already have a MkII Govt (6 7/8" bull barrel) which I shoot about 200rds every week so I'm pretty used to a long, heavy Ruger, but I'd get a different one to thread as this was the first pistol I ever bought.

Kharn,

I tried to find a suitable used Ruger upper for my MK II and didn't have much success. One guy wanted $350 for a stainless upper that had been threaded and had a scope mount. I like ADCO and he does good work, but does $140 include moving your sights back and making you a thread protector that will match your barrel? I have a contact local that did all of the aforementioned for me for $125. If you don't want to chop your gun, I think the TACSOL upper is the way to go. I have one of their threaded barrels on my 10-22 and they top notch. I think you will have a hard time finding a MK II upper used for similar $.

JeepDriver
September 27th, 2008, 08:22 AM

I just always prefer buying something a factory unit over having someone cutting down and threading a barrel. Just my personal preference. Adco does great work, no reason not to use Steve.

Kharn
September 27th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Well, I've had this MkII for ~5 years, and I've never managed to remove the reciever from the grip frame. It just wont budge even when I follow the instructions in the manual and the web perfectly.

Of course, for two years I couldnt even get the main spring housing out, turns out the pin that holds the unlocking tab slide out to the side and jammed against the grip frame, that took a vise and a pair of (padded) pliers to open...