PDA

View Full Version : Question about barrel lengths

Sean827
August 6th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I am looking in getting a 10.5" barreled AR-15 and I was wondering will i run into any problems in getting it.

novus collectus
August 6th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I am looking in getting a 10.5" barreled AR-15 and I was wondering will i run into any problems in getting it.
This is better asked in the NFA forum on MDShooters because you will get all your answers there from the people that really know their shit. But basically as long as you have the federal tax stamp, you are good to go as far as the state of MD is concerned.

Sean827
August 6th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Thank you for the help.

E.Shell
August 6th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I just popped in, but unless this has been moved since you've seen it Novus, this already IS the NFA forum.:D

Welcome to the board Sean!

The short barrel falls under the NFA '34 law that is administered by the BATF. What you would need to do to legally get your 10.5" barrel is to "SBR" your lower receiver, that is, to register your lower receiver as a "Short Barreled Rifle".

If you can qualify for a normal firearms purchase, and are over 21 YO, you can get approved for an SBR.

More info on this process abounds, but basically this process requires the completion of Federal Form 1, which is available from the BATF. You will need to complete the Form 1 as per instructions, provide photo and fingerprints, and submit to the local MSP background check. Once this portion is complete, the package is submitted to the BATF for their approval and issue of a tax stamp. The whole deal costs about $250 or so, and takes a few months. Once you receiver your tax stamp, you can engrave your lower, and then buy and install your short barrel.

Poke around this forum a little and see about the "SBR" process. Good luck! :party29:

mikec
August 6th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I just popped in, but unless this has been moved since you've seen it Novus, this already IS the NFA forum.:D

It was moved.

E.Shell
August 6th, 2008, 02:40 PM
It was moved.Figured as much, wouldn't have expected Novus to have difficulty with anything but maybe a .pdf . . . ;)

Sean827
August 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM
thanks for the infomation

JeepDriver
August 6th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I love to see everyone getting infected with the SBR syndrome!

Makes me feel all warm inside!

novus collectus
August 6th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Figured as much, wouldn't have expected Novus to have difficulty with anything but maybe a .pdf . . . ;)

:lol: