PDA

View Full Version : Henderson Defense 80% AK receiver

razorV23
July 8th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Anyone used one of these receivers yet? I just ordered one and am curious if any of us has experience with them. How difficult is it to complete? Any input would be appreciated. Now I just need to find a parts kit.

http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/AK47-80-Blank-Receiver-16p362.htm

ST19AG_WGreymon
July 8th, 2012, 12:17 PM
:D

Interesting...

smores
July 8th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I haven't done one of these yet... but it's a neat idea.

teratos
July 8th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Hmmm, that is interesting. A drill and a dremel is all I need?

Seagrave1963
July 8th, 2012, 05:00 PM
will require more checking but looks very interesting -- link bookmarked

DarthZed
July 8th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Interesting. Of course, you can get a Nodak Spud for about $30 more. And it'll be done right. The attached template is an excellent idea though.

straightsilver3
July 8th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Anyone used one of these receivers yet? I just ordered one and am curious if any of us has experience with them. How difficult is it to complete? Any input would be appreciated. Now I just need to find a parts kit.

http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/AK47-80-Blank-Receiver-16p362.htmHave you seen the polish 80% receiver on AK Builder You would have to buy the jig also, just seems a little easier Let us know how this comes out

mpdc4511
July 8th, 2012, 06:11 PM
What kind of kit are you looking for and what year?

razorV23
July 8th, 2012, 06:44 PM
What kind of kit are you looking for and what year?

Any year will do, any kit but yugo will work I believe

chris12138
July 11th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Hmmm

I'm intrigued...

Always wanted my own homebuild without a 4473 or SN attached to it. :tinfoil:

Any homebuilder sages want to chime in?

This kit with preinstalled barrel (AK Builder (https://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30126)) + the Henderson Defense 80% receiver (http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/AK47-80-Blank-Receiver-16p362.htm)and some basic tools = complete build?

What's the twist? lol

chris12138
July 12th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Bump for great justice!

razorV23
July 12th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Receiver came in the mail yesterday, looks to be quality. Still looking for a kit.

MDGolom
July 12th, 2012, 12:07 PM
A friend of mine just ordered a couple of 80% AK receivers. It should be interesting.

mpdc4511
July 12th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Any year will do, any kit but yugo will work I believe

My partner has like 8 but I know two are not going anywhere. I'll ask if he's looking to offload one.

ASM80
July 12th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks to the OP. I just ordered one. this will be my winter project.

razorV23
July 12th, 2012, 01:31 PM
My partner has like 8 but I know two are not going anywhere. I'll ask if he's looking to offload one.

That would be great thanks. PM inbound

BLACKTALON
July 12th, 2012, 03:00 PM

you mean magnet? ive been trying to get kits off him forever
Are these heat treated?

honda53s
July 12th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Clandestine, where are you? What do you think about this kit?

clandestine
July 12th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Clandestine, where are you? What do you think about this kit?

NDS over this, all day, every day. The NDS are Heat Treated already.

To set this up and drill/mill it it would take me 3 hours with heat treat. Its worth the extra $30.00 for the NDS over this.

Same for 80% AR Forgings. For the cost of an AR Lower it makes absolutely no sense to machine one when for $40 more you get a finished and HARD anodized part.

I let the big machines handle the receivers. I know I have the skills and tools to finish them but its a pointless endeavor IHO do do something just to "Do It".

Jack Gordon
July 12th, 2012, 09:54 PM

To set this up and drill/mill it it would take me 3 hours with heat treat. Its worth the extra $30.00 for the NDS over this.

Same for 80% AR Forgings. For the cost of an AR Lower it makes absolutely no sense to machine one when for $40 more you get a finished and HARD anodized part.

I let the big machines handle the receivers. I know I have the skills and tools to finish them but its a pointless endeavor IHO do do something just to "Do It".

answer your phone homo

mikec
July 12th, 2012, 09:55 PM
But Chad, with these 80% "receivers" the "man" doesn't know I have an AR or AK.....

Of course, if you used a credit card, they probably know what you have bought and can put 2+2 together.

chris12138
July 12th, 2012, 09:56 PM

If we do use one of these 80%'s and use one of the prebarreled kits I linked above. Is there anything more complicated than using a drill press and dremel that I should know about? I'm thinking I should be able to heat treat the high stress areas myself with a torch and some motor oil.

Just want to make sure i'm not going to get in over my head. I'm still researching this.

Thanks in advance!! :party29:

But Chad, with these 80% "receivers" the "man" doesn't know I have an AR or AK.....

Never hurts to cover all your bases. ;)

clandestine
July 12th, 2012, 10:37 PM
If we do use one of these 80%'s and use one of the prebarreled kits I linked above. Is there anything more complicated than using a drill press and dremel that I should know about? I'm thinking I should be able to heat treat the high stress areas myself with a torch and some motor oil.

Just want to make sure i'm not going to get in over my head. I'm still researching this.

Thanks in advance!! :party29:

Never hurts to cover all your bases. ;)

Theres no way youll build a quality gun with a Dremel. Youll need a a Minimim, a Drill Press with a Milling Table.

If your going for a "Paki Built AK" then a dremel will do, otherwise not so much.

Yes you can heat treat with a torch and oil but if you dont watch it youll mess up the heat treat.

chris12138
July 13th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Theres no way youll build a quality gun with a Dremel. Youll need a a Minimim, a Drill Press with a Milling Table.

If your going for a "Paki Built AK" then a dremel will do, otherwise not so much.

Yes you can heat treat with a torch and oil but if you dont watch it youll mess up the heat treat.

Good thing I have a milling table :D Never worked with anything other than aluminum though... Maybe an 80% AR receiver would be more my speed lol.

Now, I just need to figure out if I can do the rivets.

chris12138
July 24th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Well I snagged that 80% and a Romy Parts kit with US headspaced barrel. Figured the Romy was the easiest way to start, no underfolders etc. Also picked up a 12 ton press from Harbor Freight. Only two things can happen I guess,

A. I'm not as good of a fabricator as I thought and I end up with a pile of junk

B. I'm a better fabricator than I thought and end up making a descent rifle. In which case my AK addiction is about to get MUCH MUCH WORSE.

Guess i'll end up reporting on this trainwreck in the AK Group Build sub forum :D

BLACKTALON
July 24th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Nodak spud and Saiga are the way to go the only reason for builds now a days is the tin foal hat they gov. will take my guns and i need a secret one

whiskeytangofoxtrot
July 24th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I have to agree with Clandestine on this one for the price is it really worth it to have a sloppy receiver when it's all said and done. I was looking at these a month ago for my AR build then realized I can get a spikes for the same price. Doesn't make much sense

chris12138
July 24th, 2012, 05:26 PM
It's not about the destination, it's about the journey bros ;):thumbsup:

I need to figure out how i'm going to do these rivets.

I'm also wondering if I can build a Draco pistol. Though i'm about 100% sure its possession of "assault pistols" in MD that is a crime not just purchasing :(

clandestine
July 24th, 2012, 05:31 PM
It's not about the destination, it's about the journey bros ;):thumbsup:

I need to figure out how i'm going to do these rivets.

I'm also wondering if I can build a Draco pistol. Though i'm about 100% sure its possession of "assault pistols" in MD that is a crime not just purchasing :(

Its not illegal to build an AK Pistol in MD. They are not prohibited by the Assault Pistol Ban. The reason you cant BUY an AK Pistol in MD is because they are not on the Handgun Roster.

You CAN posess a handgun in MD thats not on the Roster, you just can buy or sell them here.

Think of a handgun not on the roster as a 30 Round Mag in MD. You can own them but you cant buy or sell here.

IMO, the "journey" to make something sucks. I only care about having the best gear I can own, that means that I prefer to not waste my time making something from scratch that I can buy and maybe slightly modify.

chris12138
July 24th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Its not illegal to build an AK Pistol in MD. They are not prohibited by the Assault Pistol Ban. The reason you cant BUY an AK Pistol in MD is because they are not on the Handgun Roster.

You CAN posess a handgun in MD thats not on the Roster, you just can buy or sell them here.

Think of a handgun not on the roster as a 30 Round Mag in MD. You can own them but you cant buy or sell here.

IMO, the "journey" to make something sucks. I only care about having the best gear I can own, that means that I prefer to not waste my time making something from scratch that I can buy and maybe slightly modify.

Good info brother. Might have to call and change my order to a drako pistol kit then :)
http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30214

Scott7891
July 24th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Good info brother. Might have to call and change my order to a drako pistol kit then :)
http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30214

Or just buy both :thumbsup:

chris12138
July 30th, 2012, 02:25 PM
FYI, Romanian part kits come in pretty shitty condition lol. Waiting for the 80% receiver and 12 ton press.

Thought I had my hands full with riveting, barrel pressing and headspacing. Now I get to refinish the stock (chipping, flaking, upper handguard is cracked and doesnt match lower handguard) and most of the metal parts (rusty, chipping)

rob-cubed
July 30th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Welcome to the challenge of AK building. I would agree that it's about the journey and not the end product. Your head is in the right place. :D

My advice would also be to go with a built receiver for your first. I've rolled enough of my own to respect a good heat treat and finish job. Plus you'll need a spot welder with customized tongs. Where it makes a difference is on the fit of the rails and magwell. Receiver manufacturers tend to err on the side of loose tolerances to make sure any variances in parts are accounted for.

chris12138
July 30th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Welcome to the challenge of AK building. I would agree that it's about the journey and not the end product. Your head is in the right place. :D

My advice would also be to go with a built receiver for your first. I've rolled enough of my own to respect a good heat treat and finish job. Plus you'll need a spot welder with customized tongs. Where it makes a difference is on the fit of the rails and magwell. Receiver manufacturers tend to err on the side of loose tolerances to make sure any variances in parts are accounted for.

Already ordered the Henderson Defense 80% (no tracking info btw, fail). Hoping for the best. I started with a Romanian build because I figured that was the "standard" simple build as opposed to all the side folder/ under folder kits so hopefully I won't have to many issues. Fingers crossed!

Still milling around how i'm going to do these rivets in my head. I also realized i'm going to have to press out the barrel to do the riveting then press it back in. So much for buying the kit with the preinstalled and headspaced US barrel :( Guess i'm going to have to find someone who will let me borrow their headspace gauges. Or can I just mark it's position on the trunnion and replicate the headspacing that way?

rob-cubed
July 30th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I'm sure you've done your reading, but use drill bits to get the rails straight and at the right level. One rail is usually just a hair higher than the other. I didn't have a bit that exact size and frequently used a strip of paper to shim as needed. Clamp and test with the bolt carrier. Set the rails back just a fraction from where the front trunnion is positioned.

Use lot of pressure when spot welding. Plug it in as close to the junction box as possible and use lengths of extension cord to get the heat right and avoid burn-through. Practice... I've trashed at least two receivers due to sloppy spot welds but I'd rather have a good hot weld than a rail fall off.

A welding crayon is great for judging heat accurately. Heat treat the rails before welding them on. I used oil after spot treating when quenching but would go with a salt bath if I ever did my own again, as the oil is a pain to clean off and will burn on as you do other holes.

chris12138
July 30th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I'm sure you've done your reading, but use drill bits to get the rails straight and at the right level. One rail is usually just a hair higher than the other. I didn't have a bit that exact size and frequently used paper to shim it up just a bit. Clamp and test with the bolt carrier. Set the rails back just a fraction from where the front trunnion is positioned.

Use lot of pressure when spot welding. Plug it in as close to the junction box as possible and use lengths of extension cord to get the heat right and avoid burn-through. Practice... I've trashed at least two receivers due to sloppy spot welds but I'd rather have a good hot weld than a rail fall off.

Henderson Defense 80% already has the rails welded on :):) But I will jot those tips down for future reference :thumbsup:

rob-cubed
July 30th, 2012, 06:56 PM
LOL well that certainly saves a lot of hassle. I started with flats and wasn't aware anyone was offering an 80% *with* rails. With a mill you should have no problems finishing it up.

Without rails these can be heat treated professionally with no FFL involved, but with rails most treaters consider it regulated. Spot treating will hold up OK but read up on it. It's an art. It's easy to do it wrong and get a low RH, or too hard with hairline fractures.

Indiana Jones
July 30th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Hmmm, that is interesting. A drill and a dremel is all I need?

My dentist said that once. Hence my anti-dentite personality and inherent fear and loathing of the heathen c&$ks$&kers.

chris12138
July 30th, 2012, 07:14 PM
LOL well that certainly saves a lot of hassle. I started with flats and wasn't aware anyone was offering an 80% *with* rails. With a mill you should have no problems finishing it up.

Without rails these can be heat treated professionally with no FFL involved, but with rails most treaters consider it regulated. Spot treating will hold up OK but read up on it. It's an art. It's easy to do it wrong and get a low RH, or too hard with hairline fractures.

Yup, even has the template pre stuck to the receiver :D Bout as easy as it gets without it being a complete receiver lol.

razorV23
July 31st, 2012, 07:12 PM
Just bought a Rom Kit from a member of Calguns for $275, hopefully it will ship today. Looks nice in the pics. As soon as the kit gets here, I can start building......

chris12138
July 31st, 2012, 08:58 PM
Just bought a Rom Kit from a member of Calguns for $275, hopefully it will ship today. Looks nice in the pics. As soon as the kit gets here, I can start building......

US Barrel preinstalled and headspaced?

chris12138
August 2nd, 2012, 04:04 PM
Finally got my 80%

Thought I had steel bits for the mill at work, looks like I only have aluminum. Guess i'm gonna have to hit it up with a vice and hand drill. No biggie, just slowly work my way up from smaller bits.

Turns out the trunnion holes aren't marked on this receiver and I have to figure that out myself :ohnoes: Tips?

I've also been cross referencing the markings on the receiver with these dimensions: http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/docs/AK47receiverplan_rev2.pdf

I've been coming up with differences of .025 or so (thats the difference on width of the front of the magwell as an example). Or

What level of accuracy am I aiming for here? Within 1/100" ? Any areas of concern as far as measurement?

Anyone have any blueprints they've had alot of success with?

This is a Romanian AKM kit btw

razorV23
August 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM
Kit is here, now to gather the needed tools and fixtures. Anyone know where to find these for borrow or rent?

chris12138
August 3rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Kit is here, now to gather the needed tools and fixtures. Anyone know where to find these for borrow or rent?

Harbor Freight has the 12ton press for $120

The rest of the "tools" can be fabricated pretty easy if you look around online. Alot of good ideas out there. Or just screw build and call it a day :D

I'm gonna start cutting the magwell, top rails and start drilling as well tonight.

razorV23
August 3rd, 2012, 03:51 PM
US barrel, not installed. The front trunnion holes are not marked as per the instructions. I saw a tool kit on GB for $62, gonna research that some more. I have a press at work so I'm good there, your welcome to use it also. Gonna stop by hardware store for some bits tonight.

chris12138
August 3rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
US barrel, not installed. The front trunnion holes are not marked as per the instructions. I saw a tool kit on GB for $62, gonna research that some more. I have a press at work so I'm good there, your welcome to use it also. Gonna stop by hardware store for some bits tonight.

Thanks for the offer but mine is in the mail :)

-Z/28-
February 8th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Thread revive! Did either of you guys get your builds finished? How was it with the Hendersons?

razorV23
February 11th, 2013, 10:44 AM
I chickened out and sold my kit.