PDA

View Full Version : Norinco Hunter - opinions, and regulated?

boss66tcode
February 4th, 2012, 09:55 PM
I'm considering a Norinco hunter. Does anyone have experience with them?

Would MSP consider it regulated because of "AK-47, any variant", or would it be considered exempt because of bulletin 96-1 which says that MAK-90's aren't regulated?

I tried the search function, but wasn't able to find anything.

lee2
February 4th, 2012, 10:04 PM
a norinco hunter is regulated in maryland.
i had one a while ago. it shot well ,but is hard to convert back into the look of a standard ak.
most people try to make them look like a galil.

ST19AG_WGreymon
February 4th, 2012, 10:55 PM
I thought sporterized versions of the AK were exempt

lee2
February 4th, 2012, 11:02 PM
ak action.

ST19AG_WGreymon
February 4th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Page 3 of MSP Bulletin 96-1 says sporterized versions are exempt.

-Z/28-
February 4th, 2012, 11:33 PM

This^. Dealers like to cover their butts though.

ST19AG_WGreymon
February 4th, 2012, 11:35 PM
This^. Dealers like to cover their butts though.

From what though? It's an official MSP bulletin. XD Even uses an AK action firearm as an example.

Sirex
February 5th, 2012, 09:42 AM

Does anyone have a copy of the 96-1 unaltered, without stuff crossed out of blacked out? My FFL was cool with it last time, but I may be pushing my luck next time.

retrorichard
February 5th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Does anyone have a copy of the 96-1 unaltered, without stuff crossed out of blacked out? My FFL was cool with it last time, but I may be pushing my luck next time.

+1, I would love to have a copy of that too.

ericoak
February 5th, 2012, 10:29 AM
How would someone know if they have published another letter since then? I mean this was from 1996?

erwos
February 5th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Actually, the bulletin goes rather a bit further than just AKs; it's saying that ANY gun that doesn't meet the assault weapons ban criteria of an assault weapon is unregulated.

Markp
February 5th, 2012, 10:51 AM

It wasn't that it was blacked out, but rather that it was highlighted... Didn't work too well in my scanner.

We do need a clean copy of it as mine was rather ratty.

lee2
February 5th, 2012, 11:19 AM
i doubt that you will find a dealer who would transter on a 4473 on this rifle.

Mark75H
February 5th, 2012, 11:32 AM
But the legal problem is the document conflicts itself between #27 and the other text.

Only a written clarification from the same authority would set it right; possibly directly amending #27.

If ruled according to regular English Common Law, it would mean only the guns listed were regulated and the Sportsterized exemption applied across the board ... but good luck with that in Maryland. Our judges are generally appointed because they are good political hacks, not good jurists - and local FFL's know this.

Jimbob2.0
February 5th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Norinco hunter is a fine gun but almost always transferred as regulated. THink of it this way, its sporterized but so is a Mak 90.

That said these are a very unusual AK variant using a valmet type milled receiver. I know i am still looking for one but I want a very specific configuration (e.g., Valmet type sights).

They typically dont sell for much as the market is somewhat limited, usually between $300 and $400 for used and $450 to $550 for NIB unless they are one of a few rare configurations.

Sirex
February 5th, 2012, 07:01 PM
It wasn't that it was blacked out, but rather that it was highlighted... Didn't work too well in my scanner.

We do need a clean copy of it as mine was rather ratty.

Ah, if you could make a color copy, or color scan and post it it may show better. I printed it and took it to my FFL for my Saiga which they thought was regulated until they saw a pic online of the Arsenal 93 listed as the example. But I think at first they were kinda thinking I was hiding something with the blacked out areas. But all was good.

Scott7891
February 6th, 2012, 02:37 AM
I think a lot of people are missing the main requirement of the 96 bulletin and that is the rifle has to be importable in its original configuration. The sa93 shown as an example was importable back in 1996. Two years later Clinton signed an executive order banning them and any "assault weapons" that could use hi cap mags.

Since the hunter is a) Chinese and b) can take hi-cap mags plus the fact it is an AK rifle it would be regulated.

hvymax
February 6th, 2012, 05:12 AM
Any conversion pics? They are very well built and are a lot more accurate than the stamped AK's I have shot.

erwos
February 6th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Any conversion pics? They are very well built and are a lot more accurate than the stamped AK's I have shot.
Google for "Norinco Hunter Galil coversion". They are not the simplest guns to convert, IIRC... I'd rather deal with a Mak90, Maadi, or Saiga.

BLACKTALON
February 6th, 2012, 01:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/DrThunder88#p/u/8/ZpxN-l5-bxM
a hunter is on my list

boss66tcode
February 6th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I don't think I have interest in converting it. Maybe it isn't common, but I think I'd like one the way it is.

BadToTheBown
March 9th, 2013, 01:37 PM
I think another thread covers this - http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=610698

All versions of AK and Galil (fundamentally what the Norinco Hunter is) are regulated.

Rem700fan
March 9th, 2013, 04:16 PM
They typically dont sell for much as the market is somewhat limited, usually between $300 and $400 for used and $450 to $550 for NIB unless they are one of a few rare configurations.

I looked at one at the show in Spring Mills last weekend, until the dealer told me they were selling for 3-5k before the panic, but would make me good deal on this one. :wtf: He also said they were easily converted to AK configuration. I just smiled and was glad I had boots on to make it thru that BS.

hvymax
March 9th, 2013, 04:19 PM

FFL told me the same last week.

Sirex
March 10th, 2013, 10:22 PM
I think another thread covers this - http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=610698

All versions of AK and Galil (fundamentally what the Norinco Hunter is) are regulated.

Except sporter version that don't have the naughty bits, as stated in 96-1. It depends on the individual FFL to interpret how clear it is to cover their hide. Fortunately I had some who were reasonable and followed the clarification of 96-1 as per the MSP. :thumbsup: