PDA

View Full Version : Angled shot?

Biggie313
January 9th, 2012, 01:12 PM
So after reading about shooting on an downward angle, it looks like you just shoot for the horizontal distance, right? I don't have a range finder or know the exact angles, but i figured I can place markers out in my field from 10-50 yards from the base of my tree and use that as a good judge. Why mess when the angle and straight line distance and calculate the actual distance to aim for, when you can just measure the ground? I plan on hunting from a 20' stand, out to 40 yards.

possumman
January 10th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Put up a stand at the height you want -put some paper cups on the ground at a variety of distances and shoot at them--it will give you a bit of experience shooting downward at distance-dont use your good arrows-try judo points so you dont lose them. Reading about it only takes you so far.

Sportstud4891
January 10th, 2012, 07:44 AM
So after reading about shooting on an downward angle, it looks like you just shoot for the horizontal distance, right? I don't have a range finder or know the exact angles, but i figured I can place markers out in my field from 10-50 yards from the base of my tree and use that as a good judge. Why mess when the angle and straight line distance and calculate the actual distance to aim for, when you can just measure the ground? I plan on hunting from a 20' stand, out to 40 yards.

Pretty much this is the case however it is very much dependent on the shooter and the bow. At 20' or higher I tend to aim about an inch or two lower than I normally would but at 12' or even 15' I tend to hold dead on. Experience is the only determining factor so make sure to practice shooting from an elevated position.

Scrapdawg
January 11th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I always aim for the bottom of the heart area. If the deer "ducks" the string I am fine, if not I'm still fine

gtodave
January 14th, 2012, 08:56 PM
The difference between the distance from treestand to target and the distance from base of tree to target is only a few percentage points once you are at 15 yards or more. Shoot the actual distance and you'll be fine.

Rednekrebel
January 14th, 2012, 09:11 PM
The difference between the distance from treestand to target and the distance from base of tree to target is only a few percentage points once you are at 15 yards or more. Shoot the actual distance and you'll be fine.

Maybe, but when I hunt, its not uncommon for me to be 25-35ft high. This makes a big difference when shooting at bow at that level. Many times have i hit a deer high because of my stand height. Obviously gravity has more effect on level shooting of your bow. Shooting on the ground gravity has almost 100% effect on the arrow the whole flight travel. From a treestand, approx 30ft high. Gravity has lessened on your arrow by 40%. Since your already shooting at a downward angle the arc of the arrow changes and in turn makes that 25 yard shot really almost 15yards. Alot of math in the equation but we can stay off of that. If you plan to hunt high, practice high. If your plan to hunt 15ft or less, you'll be fine and only vary 1" or so at 20yards.

gtodave
January 15th, 2012, 06:43 PM
He said he'd be hunting a 20' stand, which is about what i hunt. He should be good past 15 yards, but you're right about higher stands and closer shots.