PDA

View Full Version : craw fish huntin

bean93x
April 23rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
anyone here ever catch crayfish? i live right on the opequon creek in WV and never really thought about setting traps until now...

anyone ever catch em or eat em?

and....i heard that alot of them in this area are toxic/poisonous??? anyone hear anything on that?

K31
April 23rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
anyone here ever catch crayfish? i live right on the opequon creek in WV and never really thought about setting traps until now...

and....i heard that alot of them in this area are toxic/poisonous??? anyone hear anything on that?

Mmmmmm, crawfish etoufee, tha's good eatin.

bean93x
April 23rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Mmmmmm, crawfish etoufee, tha's good eatin.

:toothless

Half-cocked
April 23rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
Aren't those things basically bugs with gills?

Creepy...

Simon Yu
April 24th, 2008, 12:32 AM

Creepy...

I call Half-cock's share.

If you ask me, they're more like shrimp with really hard shells. And if you don't like shrimp either, I'll call your share of that too.

K31
April 24th, 2008, 07:15 AM

Creepy...

...and Blue and Snow crabs are just big spiders (arachnids). Mmmmm, arachnids, mmmmm.

joppaj
April 24th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Better question is, do you have any reason NOT to catch and try them?

Catch, no. Eat, yes. I'm with k31 on this, a crawfish etoufee is a dern fine meal. That said, I believe they're usually boiled, but I'd give it a shot at steaming them with Old Bay just like shrimp.

Might contact state DNR on that one. If they're dangerous to eat, the state should have it posted as a no fishing area.

Now, all that said if you find out that A) they're safe to eat; B) they're plentiful; and C) you don't like them, than by all means let us know where you live and we'll come assist with the "population control". :D

MentalSquint
April 25th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Can't be more poisonous than getting them out of the C&O, right next to the train tracks, ofcourse that was about 14 years ago that my brother and I used to do it. Unless your near some old mines or anything you'll probably be fine. Crawfish are pretty low on the trophic level so they don't really accumulate a lot of toxins like a bass, catfish, snapping turtle or eagle would. I'd look for some water pennies, they usually indicate pretty clean water. They look like a penny with legs. I'd use a trap rather baited with chicken liver/hearts or dead fish rather than catch with a net, although a bait net would probably work and you wouldn't have anyone fooling with it. Try to make the trap coon proof though. I'd put an eggcrate on top of it with some rocks.

HoChiWaWa
April 25th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I used to catch crawdads in the creek behind my parents house, but I never ate those. I have enjoyed them on occasion however, Back when Growlers was Summit station they had crawdads and chicken wings for free on wednesdays, I miss that.

Maryland Hunter
April 25th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Better question is, do you have any reason NOT to catch and try them?

Catch, no. Eat, yes. I'm with k31 on this, a crawfish etoufee is a dern fine meal. That said, I believe they're usually boiled, but I'd give it a shot at steaming them with Old Bay just like shrimp.

Might contact state DNR on that one. If they're dangerous to eat, the state should have it posted as a no fishing area.

Now, all that said if you find out that A) they're safe to eat; B) they're plentiful; and C) you don't like them, than by all means let us know where you live and we'll come assist with the "population control". :D

From what I've heard, boiling is the only way to cook them. Some restaurants up here were trying them out a few years back, without much success. They were steaming them just like crabs. The seasoning to get is actually called "crab boil", but that was told to me from a Cajun, I don't know where you would get it around here.

MH

rambling_one
April 25th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I've never hunted 'em here and find the local eateries to be crawfish deficient.

Whenever we head west (or are on the way home) the truck somehow finds it's way to Lafayette, LA, home of two fine Cajun restaurants (Prejeans and our favorite Randol's).
http://www.prejeans.com/menus.asp and http://www.randols.com/menu.html

Randol's crawfish boil consists of 3 and 5lb portions and is superb.

MentalSquint
April 25th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Mae's off 355 in Frederick has crayfish. Didn't catch the price though. They steam theirs. Break them in half like a lobster, eat the tail and suck out the brains.

rambling_one
April 26th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Mae's off 355 in Frederick has crayfish. Didn't catch the price though. They steam theirs. Break them in half like a lobster, eat the tail and suck out the brains.

I can't speak for steamed crayfish, but those cooked in a boil retain no head content - the matter is absorbed in the broth. Louisiana officiandos suck the animal's head cavity for an extra boost of highly spiced fluid. :mad54:

Half-cocked
April 26th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Break them in half like a lobster, eat the tail and suck out the brains.

Did watching "Starship Troopers" made you hungry for revenge? ;)

R2.0
April 26th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Please don't mention that abomination the called "Starship Troopers.". I was surprised Heinlein didn't launch out of his grave and throttle Verhoven.

"Brain sucking". WTF?

joppaj
April 27th, 2008, 11:10 AM
From what I've heard, boiling is the only way to cook them. MH

If you insist on boiling, a quick google search turned up this http://www.cajunwholesale.com/catalog/login.php

Darkness
May 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Me and a buddy have been known to pull a bucket full outa the local creek and cook em up. tastes great with a little butter.

bean93x
May 31st, 2008, 09:47 AM
Me and a buddy have been known to pull a bucket full outa the local creek and cook em up. tastes great with a little butter.

im still waitin on my milk jug traps lol

DemoDave
May 31st, 2008, 10:51 AM
There was a big Civil War battle at Opequoin Creek

bean93x
May 31st, 2008, 11:13 AM
There was a big Civil War battle at Opequoin Creek

no crap lol

DemoDave
May 31st, 2008, 11:41 AM
If I remember correctly the Confederates got their asses kicked by Sheridan there.

mdjamesd
May 31st, 2008, 04:05 PM
Does anybody know where I could buy crayfish? Fresh preferably?

DemoDave
May 31st, 2008, 06:52 PM
Gibby's on York Road has frozen crayfish. My wife uses them when she makes Crawfish Monica