PDA

View Full Version : How to own handgun in MD?

skydiver1921
March 4th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Ive lived in MD all my life but up until recently i hadn't considered owning any handguns, and im just wondering how hard is it to really get one. I heard you have to file a whole bunch of paperwork and wait 7 days and get all this crap done before they will let you even buy a handgun, and on top of that its next to impossible to a get a carry permit. My friend told me im better off just buying a shotgun cuz its much easier to possess than a handgun. Is this true, and if i really want to own a handgun what do i have to do to legally get one? Thanks.

Bang
March 4th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Handgun: Fill out a bunch of forms and wait a minimum of 8 days.

Shotgun: Fill out one form and if you check out, carry it home the same day.

Norton
March 4th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure were you live, but there are numerous dealers represented here on the forum who will be happy to work with you on a purchase.

It's a PITA to purchase a handgun in MD compared to many states, but not as bad as others.

Basically here's what you do.

Go to a dealer where you think you want to do business.
Pick out the firearm you want.
If this is your first purchase, you will have to watch "the video" to get a card that allows you to purchase a handgun.
Save "the card" and laminate and hide it deeply in your wallet because if you lose it you have to watch the video again.
Complete federal form and two state forms.
Pay for firearm.
Wait 7 days.
Pickup firearm.

More complicated than a shotgun, yes, but if it's a handgun you want then this is what you need to do.

Good luck on your search.

mch28
March 4th, 2008, 08:42 PM
If this is your first purchase, you will have to watch "the video" to get a card that allows you to purchase a handgun.

Don't forget, "the video" (http://mdgunsafety.com/) is available online now.

Norton
March 4th, 2008, 08:45 PM

D'oh...I forgot that. Thanks for the reminder.

So....how does that work? Do they email you a certificate after whole thing runs?

Simon Yu
March 4th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Ive lived in MD all my life but up until recently i hadn't considered owning any handguns, and im just wondering how hard is it to really get one. I heard you have to file a whole bunch of paperwork and wait 7 days and get all this crap done before they will let you even buy a handgun, and on top of that its next to impossible to a get a carry permit. My friend told me im better off just buying a shotgun cuz its much easier to possess than a handgun. Is this true, and if i really want to own a handgun what do i have to do to legally get one? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

To add onto what Norton said, handguns and some rifles and shotguns are considered regulated in MD which is what requires the 7 day wait and an age requirement of 21. Non-regulated firearms are 18 and up and require less paper work and the background check is done within a few minutes. Unless you get designated as a collector (not a hard process, just paperwork and $30), you're also limited to one regulated firearm in a 30 day period.

Curio and Relic handguns follow the rules for C&R stuff in general, but that's probably not what you're thinking about.

It's not really hard to possess a handgun in the state. It just takes a little longer and it is almost impossible to get a concealed carry in the state unless you have a job that's deemed high risk or documented death threats.

alucard0822
March 4th, 2008, 08:47 PM
The handgun process is more involved, but most area dealers can help you through the 15min worth of paperwork, decide what to get, maybe even let you rent one and try it out on their range. I wouldn't be discouraged by the process if you really want a handgun.

and Welcome to MDshooters:beer:

eddiek2000
March 4th, 2008, 08:52 PM
So....how does that work? Do they email you a certificate after whole thing runs?

Print out the PDF once complete. Sign, cut, mail, and save. I even saved the PDF for future printings in case I loose the one I laminated and put in my wallet.

I printed on good photo paper, then laminated with top of the line packaging tape. It is almost as stiff as a real laminated card.

Norton
March 4th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Print out the PDF once complete. Sign, cut, mail, and save. I even saved the PDF for future printings in case I loose the one I laminated and put in my wallet.

I printed on good photo paper, then laminated with top of the line packaging tape. It is almost as stiff as a real laminated card.

Cool....that sure is better than sitting in a shop and watching Sandy drone on for 20 minutes. ;)

Fortunately I still have my card and will hold on to it so I don't have to sit through another video

Bang
March 4th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Or if you have a DD214, you can take a copy of that and forgo the video. (so I have been told)

h2u
March 4th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Welcome to the forum.

To add onto what Norton said, handguns and some rifles and shotguns are considered regulated in MD which is what requires the 7 day wait and an age requirement of 21. Non-regulated firearms are 18 and up and require less paper work and the background check is done within a few minutes. Unless you get designated as a collector (not a hard process, just paperwork and $30), you're also limited to one regulated firearm in a 30 day period.

Curio and Relic handguns follow the rules for C&R stuff in general, but that's probably not what you're thinking about.

It's not really hard to possess a handgun in the state. It just takes a little longer and it is almost impossible to get a concealed carry in the state unless you have a job that's deemed high risk or documented death threats.

Simon added a lot of good information. I only want to change one thing.
The "collector" letter is just paperwork and notary- but it's free. The Curio and Relic FFL is $30 for 3 years. Everything else is as stated.

coinboy
March 4th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Welcome to the forum.

You are confusing the Federal Curio and Relic License with the Maryland Designated Collector Status. The MD Designated Collector Status is free and allows you to buy more than one regulated firearm (includes handguns and assault rifles) in one month. The Federal Curio and Relic License is something totally different. It allows you to purchase C&R firearms in interstate commerce. The Federal C&R Licnese cost is $30.

xd40c
March 4th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Someone can correct me, but I think you can get a muzzleloader as easy as you can get a candy bar.

Aquakeeper
March 4th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I got a question along with the whole video thing and the card...

I watched the video back in 2002 when I get my first gun but never actually received a card or anything. Then when I went to purchase another handgun in 2005 I didn't have the card but told them my # that was on my paperwork and it all worked out. Do I really need to get a card or as long as I have the # then it will be good for future guns I may purchase as well......right?

novus collectus
March 4th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Just to make things more complicated, you can buy a non-regulated handgun and not have to wait the seven days, or have to fill out any paperwork.
Antique handguns are not regulated by the feds, and their transfer is not covered by the state.
Antique handguns are all handguns made before 1899, or replica of antique handguns which are made after 1898. The actual antiques made before 1899 can fire ammunition that is commercially available, but the replicas cannot. So that means if it is a replica made after 1898, then it generally means it must be a cap and ball revolver and you cannot fire cartridge ammunition out of it, but it is still a real gun and you can get six or ten shot revolvers like this.
I believe you do not have to be 21 to own an antique handgun (they are not regulated firearms).

Also you can make your own (if 21 or over in age, generally) modern handgun and you do not have to tell the state as long as you never transfer ownership to anyone else.

Welcome to MDShooters.

J&JGUNS
March 4th, 2008, 09:34 PM
welcome to the site

novus collectus
March 4th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Someone can correct me, but I think you can get a muzzleloader as easy as you can get a candy bar.Not true. Candy bars have trans fats and I hear they are being banned. :lol2:

A muzzloader does not even need an ID to purchase, but the black powder for it does. I can't remember, but I don't think black powder substitutes require an ID when purchasing.

One can buy a muzzle loading six or ten shot revolver in the mail even.

DD214
March 4th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Or if you have a DD214, you can take a copy of that and forgo the video. (so I have been told)

Sorry, I'm kinda busy. ;)

Yes, if you have a DD214 you are good to go. No need to watch the video unless you feel that you need it.

skydiver1921
March 4th, 2008, 09:41 PM
thanks a bunch for all your help and I live in montgomery county (i figured id mention that in case theyre any extra restrictions on buying handgungs in montgomery). I guess I'll have to go watch the video and do the paperwork at the dealer then, but i was wondering is there anyway that they can deny you the handgun after the 7 day period (assuming you've not been convicted of any crimes and are a U.S. citizen)?

novus collectus
March 4th, 2008, 09:53 PM
thanks a bunch for all your help and I live in montgomery county (i figured id mention that in case theyre any extra restrictions on buying handgungs in montgomery). There is a state preemption that denies the local governments the ability to regulate possession, transfer, or sale of regulated firearms like handguns.

I guess I'll have to go watch the video and do the paperwork at the dealer then, but i was wondering is there anyway that they can deny you the handgun after the 7 day period (assuming you've not been convicted of any crimes and are a U.S. citizen)?
They sometimes make mistakes and if they think you are a prohibitted person they will deny you until things are figured out. But if they do not find anything or make a mistake thinking they found something, then they cannot stop the transfer as I understand it (with one exception I can think of that I will not bother mentioning).

Simon Yu
March 4th, 2008, 09:54 PM
thanks a bunch for all your help and I live in montgomery county (i figured id mention that in case theyre any extra restrictions on buying handgungs in montgomery).

The county has occasionally passed extra restrictions related to firearms, but those have been struck down since counties aren't allowed to preempt the state in this. None of those restrictions affected purchasing anyway to my knowledge.

I guess I'll have to go watch the video and do the paperwork at the dealer then, but i was wondering is there anyway that they can deny you the handgun after the 7 day period (assuming you've not been convicted of any crimes and are a U.S. citizen)?

Sometimes the police drag their asses and the paperwork can get delayed a few days. In that case, many stores will insist on waiting until it gets back even though legally they can release the gun into your possession to avoid the headaches that could ensue if the paperwork comes back disapproved.

Since you're also in MoCo, I'll mention that as far as I know the Gilbert Indoor Range is the only range in the county that I'm aware of that offers rental services and lets non-members shoot. They can be a great resource (though expensive, like many things in the county) for a new shooter, but the selection of guns available to rent isn't as extensive as some places outside the county. If you don't already have a very clear idea of what you want to get, traveling to another county to rent a gun at a range to see if you like it may be a good idea if it's not something they offer rentals on.

xd40c
March 4th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Not true. Candy bars have trans fats and I hear they are being banned. :lol2:

A muzzloader does not even need an ID to purchase, but the black powder for it does. I can't remember, but I don't think black powder substitutes require an ID when purchasing.

One can buy a muzzle loading six or ten shot revolver in the mail even.

No ID to buy Pyrodex or sabots or bullets.

We can still buy a bag of chips unencumbered by the trans fat police in the Free State.

smores
March 5th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Since you're also in MoCo, I'll mention that as far as I know the Gilbert Indoor Range is the only range in the county that I'm aware of that offers rental services and lets non-members shoot. They can be a great resource (though expensive, like many things in the county) for a new shooter, but the selection of guns available to rent isn't as extensive as some places outside the county. If you don't already have a very clear idea of what you want to get, traveling to another county to rent a gun at a range to see if you like it may be a good idea if it's not something they offer rentals on.

There's another place that's a little more affordable is MDSAR (MD Small Arms Range - http://www.msar.com/) in Upper Marlboro. $15 per lane (up to 2 people), and $5 per gun. You do have to purchase their ammo (like with pretty much every range that has rentals), which can be expensive.

But if you call ahead, you can find out what they have available for rental and check it out. Running a box of ammo through a pistol you are looking at will tell you a lot about whether you'll like it or not. Remember, when you buy a gun you can't return it, and it's much like a car, it does lose a bit of value as soon as you walk out of the shop with it. It's best to make informed purchases, unless of course you have loads of money to blow and can eat the cost of selling a gun a month after you bought it if you don't like it! :D

Also, welcome!

Conundrum
March 5th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Someone can correct me, but I think you can get a muzzleloader as easy as you can get a candy bar.Depends on make and model.

boatbod
March 5th, 2008, 05:55 PM
If you've taken a hunters ed class within the last couple of years, that's also acceptable in lieu of watching the video.

canuck
March 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM

Hey, that's a great deal - who knew that Don could be so useful :)

Flash
March 7th, 2008, 05:16 PM
These MD laws crack me up. Watch a video for a first time buyer? I never heard of such crap! I am SOOOOOOOO glad I moved to Pa. I buy a handgun and take it home within minutes.

gamer_jim
April 4th, 2008, 12:57 PM
These MD laws crack me up. Watch a video for a first time buyer? I never heard of such crap! I am SOOOOOOOO glad I moved to Pa. I buy a handgun and take it home within minutes.

Yeah, but the video that Maryland makes you watch is all the "training" you need to apply for a FL non-resident permit. Just watch it online, and print out the form you get afterwards. :cool:

OnTarget
May 8th, 2009, 01:31 PM
The handgun process is more involved, but most area dealers can help you through the 15min worth of paperwork, decide what to get, maybe even let you rent one and try it out on their range. I wouldn't be discouraged by the process if you really want a handgun.

and Welcome to MDshooters:beer:
What forms does the FFL use after one has purchased a handgun - all the ones he helps you to fill out, including the ones that go to MSP just before the 8-day wait?
I'd like to look them over, if possible.
Thanks.

IcedC
May 8th, 2009, 02:07 PM
IIRC the card is active the moment you drop it in the mailbox...

Kashmir1008
May 8th, 2009, 05:35 PM
thanks a bunch for all your help and I live in montgomery county (i figured id mention that in case theyre any extra restrictions on buying handgungs in montgomery). I guess I'll have to go watch the video and do the paperwork at the dealer then, but i was wondering is there anyway that they can deny you the handgun after the 7 day period (assuming you've not been convicted of any crimes and are a U.S. citizen)?

Lot's of good advice and help here. Since you live in Montgomery County you can give back by spreading the word the Sen. Frosh needs to be voted out of office. He is one of the most anti-gun/pro-criminal.

Tell your friends - organize - send Frosh packing.

saltydog
May 8th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Something to remember is if you think about ordering a handgun online because you think you're saving a ton of money, please don't get caught up in all of that. Yes you may save money, but please read on.

If you do decide to order a new handgun online please make sure the seller knows the qun you want to purchase because it's in the State of Maryland has to have a spent casing in an envelope. The gun manufacturer has to shoot the gun, and I believe count the turns on the round itself, put the spent casing into the envelope and sign his name to it. All of this comes with the new handgun and goes to Law Enforcement.

A lot of sellers don't even know anything about this Law and requirement in Maryland. If the handgun doesn't have this spent casing and the rest of the required information, it can't be sold in this State. And the FFL you already paid a fee to accept the gun and do the paperwork for you now has to send this gun back to where it came from, all paid for by you. So now you may have close to $200.00 tied up in a gun you can't buy.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great deals online; but some FFL's charge upwards of $100.00 to accept the handgun and do the paperwork.

So if you ever decide to buy online, just know what the FFL is going to charge you first, and make sure where the handgun comes from knows about Maryland Law so the handgun can be legally purchased in this State.

In my own opinion I would say a Gun Store in this State is about the easiest way to purchase your handgun especially if you are purchasing a gun for the first time. Until you get to know all of the rules and Laws this State has, I would do my purchasing locally in Maryland. They know all of the rules, and there are some good places to do business with. But to find those places you may want to ask some of the other people who have been buying for quite a while. I'm still learning and I'm not really a good one to ask. I've purchased three other guns in three different places and can't say I would recommend any of them.

Good Luck!

ImperatorZices
May 8th, 2009, 07:43 PM
"If you do decide to order a new handgun online please make sure the seller knows the qun you want to purchase because it's in the State of Maryland has to have a spent casing in an envelope. The gun manufacturer has to shoot the gun, and I believe count the turns on the round itself, put the spent casing into the envelope and sign his name to it. All of this comes with the new handgun and goes to Law Enforcement." -- saltydog

Does this spent casing requirement apply to semi-auto rifles as well?

novus collectus
May 8th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Does this spent casing requirement apply to semi-auto rifles as well?
No, only applies to handguns that come from the manufacturer. It does not apply to used handguns and MD regulated rifles.

rayg5102
May 8th, 2009, 09:19 PM
OK, what about if you wanted to buy a pistol from another MD resident? Someone from Baltimore area is on line here wanting to sell his pistol. How would you go about doing that and be within the law?

novus collectus
May 8th, 2009, 09:32 PM
OK, what about if you wanted to buy a pistol from another MD resident? Someone from Baltimore area is on line here wanting to sell his pistol. How would you go about doing that and be within the law?
One of two ways with the first by going to a MD regulated firearms dealer and doing it through them. The state and fed paperwork has to be done and the seven day wait applies.
THe other way is you both go to a MD State Police barracks, fill out just the state paperwork, pay ten dollars, show them the gun that you left in the trunk (they come out to look at it), wait the seven days and if no dissapproval comes back, then you can transfer the handgun and you fill out the completed transfer form to send in to the MDSP.

AliasNeo07
May 10th, 2009, 02:58 PM
If you watch the video online, you print a page that has your card on it, and then you mail a copy of it to the MSP. I didn't do that, because i'm not going to use my stupid online one.....reason being for my FL CCW they don't accept them. Needs to be in-store, so you can actually have a dealer or someone sign off on it.

If youre not going to use it to get a CCW in another state or anything, just do the online one. Its easy and really quick.

mikec
May 10th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure were you live, but there are numerous dealers represented here on the forum who will be happy to work with you on a purchase.

It's a PITA to purchase a handgun in MD compared to many states, but not as bad as others.

It's not as bad as NY. I had to get interviewed by a county judge to get a pistol permit. A permit is needed to own a handgun there. (I did not live anywhere near NYC or that part of the state either.)

alb
May 16th, 2009, 08:47 AM

If you can prove "qualifying military experience" that requirement is waived.