PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Vintage compound bow's

Gordon
March 4th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Curious if any one out there shoots vintage compound bows,from 70;s on up?

MikeTF
March 4th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Wow! I gave away my late 70s early 80s compound bow to a friend that really wanted it. I bought it brand new. I think it was a 'Bear' brand. I was in college at the time. It was all that I could afford.

SRD
March 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I'm a Bear fan;Still shoot a Whitetail,Whitetail II,and Whitetail Legend.Had a Black Panther recurve for years,loved that little bow.

Gordon
March 6th, 2011, 11:53 AM
That's cool, I was just wondering what others shoot.I have collected a few and the evolution from then to now is awesome. I do not want this to turn into a bashing of the old bows,to me I enjoy shooting any type of bow. I once had my collection up 125 compounds down to about 35+

MikeTF
March 6th, 2011, 12:02 PM
The old bows still work just fine! I have friend who likes to shoot his Dad's OLD re-curve bow.

rstickle
March 6th, 2011, 12:20 PM
"Vintage compound bow", man that phrase really makes me feel old (actually I am!).

I have one, but started shooting with recurve bows since when I was a kid there was no such thing as a compound!

retrorichard
March 6th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I shoot a browning cobra compound bow...I think its from the early 80s

VNVGUNNER
March 6th, 2011, 02:19 PM
The oldest I still shoot is a Jennings Buckmaster, i think from the late 80's.

Just picked up a new Hoyt Matrix Plus. :)

Biggfoot44
March 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Still trying to digest Compound and Vintage in same sentence . As bow technologly goes '70s is New .still have Browning Compound Cobra from circa '74 .

Gordon
March 6th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I was not thinking about it till you send it, vintage. I started shooting back early 60's all and nothing but recurves. Got my 1st compound late 90's got hooked on mech.of em and started looking for the 1st ones made. Allen hunk of wood some brackets wheels cable and bolts that was it.

E.Shell
March 6th, 2011, 07:21 PM
"Vintage compound bow", man that phrase really makes me feel old (actually I am!)...
:sad20: I feel your pain (and aches)...

I have a Darton 40B (pulley brackets inside the limb tips) around here someplace I bought in the very early 80s to replace the infamous original Bear "Whitetail Hunter" that I immediately sold off. That Bear was like shooting a scissor jack, with all it's pulleys and linkages. I also have an 80s "vintage" (ugh) Darton SL-50 (primitive split limb) around here too. Both Dartons have a bunch of notches, figuratively speaking.

My Jennings Carbon Extreme was near state of the art when I bought it, and even that rascal is getting pretty old...

I have a couple Martin long bows, and a couple Bear recurves that I used to shoot a lot. I just play with the long bows, but used to use the recurves on birds and fish.

E.Shell
March 6th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Still trying to digest Compound and Vintage in same sentence . As bow technologly goes '70s is New .still have Browning Compound Cobra from circa '74 .I know what you mean about the conflicting (for now) terms, LOL, but I'd disagree about 70s technology being current. Pulley geometry and limb design has moved VERY far since then. Want proof? Chronograph your Browning and compare that to even the cheapest bows on the market today, and take a look at let off rates while you're at it. Not criticizing your choice of bows, I had a Browning myself. Cannot escape the fact that it was the slowest compound bow EVER, though, and even installing an overdraw unit didn't make it better, just scarier. Oneidas, SoloCams and the like, all sorts of newfangled stuff out there.I was not thinking about it till you send it, vintage. I started shooting back early 60's all and nothing but recurves....I still have a Bear "Black Bear" recurve and a Bear "Grizzly" recurve, I've had the BB since the late 60s/early 70s.

Biggfoot44
March 7th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Alas, should my time/ money ratios allow for "newly purchased" archery gear , my current inclinations woyuld have me going full retro to Longbow.

gtodave
March 9th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I shoot a browning cobra compound bow...I think its from the early 80s

I have one, but it is way too big for me (30-32" draw). I much prefer shooting my newer, higher speed bow anyways.

Gordon
March 20th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I picked up a classic the other day in mint condition Jennings T Star target model complete with check it sight and case. Going to sight it in after I make a new string for it @ Vingt Neuf's on Honeygo Blvd.

dana4113
July 17th, 2012, 01:47 PM
yeah i shoot a american archery panther what do you need to know?

BlackBart
July 17th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Look in the classified at the Jennings I have for sale. It's from the 70's and still looks brand new. (At least it did the last time I looked at it 6 months ago or so) Part laminated wood and part glass, a nice looking bow.

4MDGunRights
July 19th, 2012, 08:00 AM
I still hunt with my Hoyt Raider comound bow that I bought sometime in the 80's. It still works just fine...

blackseven
August 3rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
I have my dads old Indian Shikari. I was thinking about getting back into bow hunting (Haven't hunted since I was a teenager). I don't think I'll hunt with it though, I think I'll buy a newer bow. When I was young my dad got me an XI Silverhawk XP, I still have it, and plan to restring it and give it to my son.

jr88
August 3rd, 2012, 04:07 PM
Both of my bows would be considered "Vintage", Bear Whitetail and Old Browning, the problem is where they are good bows and fine to learn on the term vintage really means outdated. Unlike firearms where an old Colt revolver is vintage, I prefer the newer Compound bows. They are lighter,smoother, faster by a long shot. A good one also cost as much as a rifle now, so I guess that's why I only have "vintage" bows!

BlackBart
August 3rd, 2012, 04:25 PM
Since bow season is just around the corner and it doesn't look like I'm moving after all I pulled mine from the classified and decided to keep it. :) Whoever that may collect these things.............. snooze you lose. :D This if from the late 60's early 70's from what I have read.

boss66tcode
August 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
American Archery cheetah from about 1986 or so. I could buy a new one, but why?

WSM
August 5th, 2012, 01:15 AM
I still own a Reflex and that makes me feel old lol. Bought it new somewhere around 2003 <3. I'm going in reverse. I'd really like to get into traditional archery. I always shot well instinctively when I was a kid.

frdfandc
August 5th, 2012, 01:22 AM
My Dad use to shoot a Bear Whitetail II. I have a Darton Ranger from the 90's as well.

WSM
August 5th, 2012, 01:39 AM
I started with a Jennings Lightningstar round wheel bow. It wasn't a speed demon but I could split my own arrows with that thing.

BlackBart
August 5th, 2012, 01:41 AM
My Dad use to shoot a Bear Whitetail II. I have a Darton Ranger from the 90's as well.

My first was a little Bear Blacktail, ZERO frills bought in late 70's for less than 100 dollars new.....I sucked with that too. :o

The Ben Pearson that I have which is even older is a much nicer bow.

dist1646
August 5th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Hoyt Legacy Super Slam circa 1993. Used a Browning Black Knight too, until the riser broke. I also have a Bear Kodiak recurve that I picked up for only $10, couldn't pass it up for that price.

Kimerazor
August 5th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I still have my Bear Polar LTD from ~29 years ago & is in mint condition. Funny seeing it next to my Mathews.

NRA Life Member
SAF Life Member
GRRN Supporter

byf43
August 30th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Had a Darton SL-50 when I started in archery. ('89 or so.)
When I injured my back, I sold it. . . . like a fool!

About a year ago, and old friend (emphasis on OLD) found a bow at a garage sale, and picked it up for me.

It's a Myles Keller. #60. 30" draw. I have no idea how old it is. :shrug:
I had new string and cables put on it.
It shoots good for me.

I don't shoot enough to justify buying a new bow.

rrrrrrkevin
August 31st, 2012, 12:21 AM
I picked up a really old compound bow a while back for free with the intention of converting it to a recurve. I read online that the older compounds are perfect for this because they are cheap and the riser can easily be made to accept ILF limbs. I sort of lack the experience to do this so I really haven't moved forward with it. A lot of you that have ancient bows without much value should look into this if you want to have a fun new and unique take down recurve bow.

byf43
October 1st, 2012, 10:54 AM
Had a Darton SL-50 when I started in archery. ('89 or so.)
When I injured my back, I sold it. . . . like a fool!

About a year ago, and old friend (emphasis on OLD) found a bow at a garage sale, and picked it up for me.

It's a Myles Keller. #60. 30" draw. I have no idea how old it is. :shrug:
I had new string and cables put on it.
It shoots good for me.

I don't shoot enough to justify buying a new bow.

I may be eating my words.

I pulled out my bow on Saturday, and my youngest son and I let a few arrows fly.
My shoulders are killing me!
That old Myles Keller "Fast Flight" is one tough bow.

My son has convinced me to buy another.
So, I'm looking at a Mission "Venture". :thumbsup:

blackseven
October 3rd, 2012, 09:50 AM
I picked up a really old compound bow a while back for free with the intention of converting it to a recurve. I read online that the older compounds are perfect for this because they are cheap and the riser can easily be made to accept ILF limbs. I sort of lack the experience to do this so I really haven't moved forward with it. A lot of you that have ancient bows without much value should look into this if you want to have a fun new and unique take down recurve bow.

This is awesome. I have an old Indian Shikari from the 70's and I'd like to do this as my wife wants to shoot traditional archery.

I just bought a 2012 PSE Brute X, holy crap has technology gone leaps and bounds over the older bows. It's insane how fast and accurate these newer bows are.

CEK
November 7th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I have my first compound from around 1983 a 50# 30" draw Indian hunter. I then got a Browning Nomad I still have. Last one I bought around 1995 is a Proline New Wave I still shoot this one occasionally. Past year or so I have been practicing with an old Bear Kodiak recurve.

Gordon
November 7th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Recurves are a blast,have you tried a Longbow?