PDA

View Full Version : Is Pepper Spray legal in maryland

Lord Baltimore
February 10th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Any restrictions?

traveller
February 10th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Any restrictions?

You can't use it in an offensive manner to committ or aid in a crime.

Lord Baltimore
February 10th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks.

I asked because I saw that stun guns are illegal in the PRM. I better shut up and not give our representatives any other ideas.

Name Taken
February 10th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks.

I asked because I saw that stun guns are illegal in the PRM. I better shut up and not give our representatives any other ideas.

I'm not sure that "stun guns" and "tasers" are illegal in the state. They are in Baltimore County and I believe the city under local laws not state law.

NateIU10
February 10th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure that "stun guns" and "tasers" are illegal in the state. They are in Baltimore County and I believe the city under local laws not state law.

Yeah, I've only ever seen Balt Co/City laws forbidding tasers and stun guns.

Lord Baltimore
February 10th, 2011, 08:14 PM
If you look on the Cabela's website...they have them...but for some reason they cannot be shipped to the PRM and several other states.:innocent0

Name Taken
February 10th, 2011, 08:16 PM
If you look on the Cabela's website...they have them...but for some reason they cannot be shipped to the PRM and several other states.:innocent0

That's just like some lame companys wont ship ANY firearm or any MAGS to MD becasue they simply do not know or do not want to learn the laws.

From a business point I can understand...if you are in TX why learn MD laws just to make a few hundred dollars a year in sales.

BrandonThibeault
February 11th, 2011, 08:53 AM

yeah when you order tasers they list the counties in md you can't get them I think Montgomery is another. So far I think pepper spray is legal throughout the state

aray
February 11th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Anne Arundel County also bans tasers for private citizens.

joppaj
February 11th, 2011, 09:05 AM
If you look through our site, you'll find some folks that offer Sabre Red training. I'd strongly recommend the brand and getting training before you carry.

ProShooter
February 11th, 2011, 09:22 AM
If you look through our site, you'll find some folks that offer Sabre Red training. I'd strongly recommend the brand and getting training before you carry.

Thank you joppaj!

Craignor - please visit our website page to learn more about the SABRE pepper spray CSAP class - http://proactiveshooters.com/sabre-pepper-spray-civilian-safety-awareness-program-csap/

joppaj
February 11th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Yup, that's the one. ProShooter, as long as you guys offer this service, I'll keep telling people about it.

ProShooter
February 11th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Yup, that's the one. ProShooter, as long as you guys offer this service, I'll keep telling people about it.

Thank you! We truly appreciate it!

Tootall
February 11th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Anne Arundel County also bans tasers for private citizens.

Since when? I know annapolis bans them but have never seen anything about AACO?

ericoak
February 11th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Aren't they banned in howard too.

aray
February 11th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Since when? I know annapolis bans them but have never seen anything about AACO?

From the Anne Arundel County Code:

http://www.aacounty.org/CountyCode/index.cfm

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Maryland/annearundelco_md/annearundelcountycode2005?f=templates$fn=default.h tm$3.0$vid=amlegal:annearundelco_md

9-1-603. Electronic weapons prohibited acts.
(a) Definition. In this section, "electronic weapon" means a "stun gun" or any similar device by whatever name that is designed as a weapon capable of injuring an individual by the discharge of electrical current.

(b) Scope. This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer acting within the scope of the officer's official duties.

(c) Prohibitions. A person may not sell, give away, lend, rent, or transfer an electronic weapon in the County. A person may not possess or discharge an electronic weapon in the County.

(d) Sanctions for violation. A person violating any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $1,000 or imprisonment not exceeding six months or both.

(1985 Code, Art. 11, 4-102.1) (Bill No. 49-85; Bill No. 20-06)

ezliving
February 11th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Also illegal in Ocean City.

Jerry M
February 11th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Pepper spray can not be carried by anyone under 18 - thanks to mr glendening. Small letters are on purpose.

Docster
February 11th, 2011, 10:49 PM
+1 to the above; I carry pepper spray and have been for a long time. For Xmas, got me and the wife a Mace Pepper Spray Gun; looks like a small flare gun, somes with water cartridge for practice, built in flashlight for night use and to disorient the BG and shoots a good hard stream 15 to 20 ft.

shaddydan
February 11th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Can pepper spray be used to flavor steak? I mean in an emergency.:innocent0

Mr Ed
February 12th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Any comments on the Mace (the brand) products that are a blend of pepper and other things like CS? Is this better or worse wrt to the PRM given that they are not 100% pepper?

ProShooter
February 12th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Any comments on the Mace (the brand) products that are a blend of pepper and other things like CS? Is this better or worse wrt to the PRM given that they are not 100% pepper?

Mace is not the leader that they used to be. Sabre is a much better product these days.

Tootall
February 12th, 2011, 09:41 AM
From the Anne Arundel County Code:

http://www.aacounty.org/CountyCode/index.cfm

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Maryland/annearundelco_md/annearundelcountycode2005?f=templates$fn=default.h tm$3.0$vid=amlegal:annearundelco_md

Thank you sir :thumbsup: learn something new everyday.

Schwabe
February 12th, 2011, 01:49 PM
just carry yard bug spray - the red-neck pepper spray version :D. Sprays further and more precise anyway....

traveller
February 12th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Can pepper spray be used to flavor steak? I mean in an emergency.:innocent0

My mother in law cooks a chilly that is unlawful to carry on your person in Massachusetts.

ProShooter
February 12th, 2011, 09:59 PM
just carry yard bug spray - the red-neck pepper spray version :D. Sprays further and more precise anyway....

and violates federal law and will get you sued civilly and probably charged criminally.

AliasNeo07
June 30th, 2011, 03:35 PM
About 4 years ago I was driving in annapolis and got pulled over for not coming to a complete stop before turning at a stop sign. So I pulled over and two cops came up, one on either side, and asked for my license and registration, etc. I popped open my glove compartment and pulled my registration out (Where I kept a can of Sabre Red at the time). After he inspected my paperwork, he said that there have been a string of burglaries in this area recently (it was about 2:00am, was coming back from a concert.) Then his partner shines his flashlight into my open glove compartment and sees the pepper spray. The guy asks what I have it for. I didn't know what to say, I was sort of nervous. So I just said "I don't know." Then he explained that he understands the desire to carry pepper spray for self defense but that it was ILLEGAL. He told me he'd let me go and he trusts that i'll do the right think with the pepper spray.

Wtf.

ToneGrail
June 30th, 2011, 04:41 PM
About 4 years ago I was driving in annapolis and got pulled over for not coming to a complete stop before turning at a stop sign. So I pulled over and two cops came up, one on either side, and asked for my license and registration, etc. I popped open my glove compartment and pulled my registration out (Where I kept a can of Sabre Red at the time). After he inspected my paperwork, he said that there have been a string of burglaries in this area recently (it was about 2:00am, was coming back from a concert.) Then his partner shines his flashlight into my open glove compartment and sees the pepper spray. The guy asks what I have it for. I didn't know what to say, I was sort of nervous. So I just said "I don't know." Then he explained that he understands the desire to carry pepper spray for self defense but that it was ILLEGAL. He told me he'd let me go and he trusts that i'll do the right think with the pepper spray.

Wtf.

That was a very misinformed officer.

tball
June 30th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Aren't they banned in howard too.

In Howard County we chose civility, so we aren't allowed to defend ourselves. We can't have a stun gun, but at least we can still carry a water pistol.

swinokur
June 30th, 2011, 08:04 PM
9 volt batteries are illegal in MoCo

sooner
June 30th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I hear they may outlaw any steak knife over 3 inches.

tball
June 30th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Not allowed to have steak, you must order tofu that is precut.

Luigi
June 30th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Seriously...why do they insist on making it easier for criminals with these laws?

tball
June 30th, 2011, 10:46 PM
They want to control every aspect of our lives with Nanny laws. We are not as smart as they are. You can't go after who is actually doing the crimes, you have to go after the guns. That makes it look like the politicians are doing something to be tough on crime when they are really doing nothing. Most of the politicians who are anti-gun advocates, don't know the difference between a magazine and a clip, yet they write the laws that would ban or restrict our right to own, purchase and carry a firearm. The children of the 60's are now in charge. Flower power... When will they ever learn, When will they ever learn...

ThatIsAFact
July 1st, 2011, 08:51 AM
I have pasted in below the complete text of the most pertinent state law, Criminal Law Article 4-101. My reading of 4-101 is that pepper gas is implicitly excluded from the scope of what constitutes a "dangerous weapon" for purposes of the 4-101 ban on concealed carry of a "dangerous weapon"; therefore, it does not violate this law to carry pepper gas concealed for purposes of lawful self defense. But, it does violate this statute to carry pepper gas openly "with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner."

In addition, if pepper gas is used in an unlawful, offensive manner, under certain circumstances it may well produce a conviction under other statutes that deal with assault, or with the use of weapons in crimes -- for example, Criminal Law Title Section 3-403, which prohibits robbery "with a dangerous weapon." In 1999, under a similar precursor statute, the Maryland Court of Special Appeals sustained such a conviction in a case styled Handy v. State of Maryland, which stated in part, "We hold that pepper spray may become a dangerous weapon . . . when it is used as an offensive weapon to injure and overcome the intended victim. . .Admittedly, pepper spray is not a dangerous or deadly weapon per se. That does not mean, however, that pepper spray may not be a dangerous or deadly weapon where, as here, it is used to blind and temporarily disable a person in furtherance of a robbery."

ThatIsAFact

Maryland Code
Criminal Law Article
4-101. Dangerous weapons.

(a) Definitions.-

(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.

(2) "Nunchaku" means a device constructed of two pieces of any substance, including wood, metal, or plastic, connected by any chain, rope, leather, or other flexible material not exceeding 24 inches in length.

(3) (i) "Pepper mace" means an aerosol propelled combination of highly disabling irritant pepper-based products.

(ii) "Pepper mace" is also known as oleoresin capsicum (o.c.) spray.

(4) "Star knife" means a device used as a throwing weapon, consisting of several sharp or pointed blades arrayed as radially disposed arms about a central disk.

(5) (i) "Weapon" includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku.

(ii) "Weapon" does not include:

1. a handgun; or
2. a penknife without a switchblade.

(b) Exceptions for certain individuals.- This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon:

(1) an officer of the State, or of any county or municipal corporation of the State, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the officer's official equipment, or by any conservator of the peace, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the conservator's official equipment, or by any officer or conservator of the peace of another state who is temporarily in this State;

(2) a special agent of a railroad;

(3) a holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article; or

(4) an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case.

(c) Prohibited.-

(1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.

(2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.

(3) (i) This paragraph applies in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Caroline County, Cecil County, Harford County, Kent County, Montgomery County, Prince George's County, St. Mary's County, Talbot County, Washington County, and Worcester County. (ii) A minor may not carry a dangerous weapon between 1 hour after sunset and 1 hour before sunrise, whether concealed or not, except while: 1. on a bona fide hunting trip; or
2. engaged in or on the way to or returning from a bona fide trap shoot, sport shooting event, or any organized civic or military activity.

(d) Penalties.-

(1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $1,000 or both.

(2) For a person convicted under subsection (c)(1) or (2) of this section, if it appears from the evidence that the weapon was carried, concealed or openly, with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another, the court shall impose the highest sentence of imprisonment prescribed.

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, 36; 2002, ch. 26, 2; ch. 213, 6; ch. 571, 1; 2003, ch. 17; ch. 21, 1.]

P-12 Norm
July 1st, 2011, 05:20 PM

Annapolis as well. And HoCo...