PDA

View Full Version : AAR Carbine 1 & 2, Nov. 13th & 14th

SRTMO
November 15th, 2010, 07:42 AM
This weekend was my first real tactical carbine class. It was my 2nd & 3rd class with CCJA. I really enjoyed the class & learned a lot. I learned new uses for the sling and got much needed practice for reloads & malfunctions. I also got to do bounding for the first time. It took me a few seconds for me to engage while someone was standing down range but, after that, it was fine. I am thankful to CCJA for the chance to train with them. I will now have to practice what I learned & I definitely want to get more carbine training to build on what I learned this weekend. I would definitely recommend seeking out training with CCJA.

A big thanks to CCJA for the training.

3rdRcn
November 15th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Was thinkin about you guys this weekend, you coming next weekend?

Kchen986
November 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM
SRT MO, were you the individual I bounded with yesterday? (I was the National Guard meat puppet running around in full kit).

I was thinking about writing an AAR, but waiting for the experience to percolate:

Here's what I really liked about the class (Carbine II):

- Bounding while transitioning and performing tactical reloads while running back.
- Weak side reloads, both tactical and emergency.
- Shooting while moving, transitioning to weak side.
- Brushing up on shooting while moving, both laterally and going forwards and backwards.
- Transitioning to sidearm, then shooting from retention, then reholstering sidearm and getting your primary back up.
- Instructor to student ratio was off the charts (approx 7 instructors to 4 students)
- Was taught to consider 'pistol-punching' the target if up close and pistol goes down.
- Rotating carbine clockwise when transitioning for a secure weapon.

All in all a good class. There were a lot of 'oh-shit' moments where I was challenged to put together all the things I learned and to utilize them on the fly.

jmira
November 15th, 2010, 09:11 AM
damn, sounds like I missed a good weekend..

nice summary, just reading the AARs reminds me of the many times I have been down there and how much more I need to train..

-j

ateixeira
November 15th, 2010, 09:22 AM
7 to 4 ratio!!!!!!!! Is that a typo?? More instructors than students for both days?

Wish I could have been there.

Might be doing the 12/11 class with a friend.

Spent four days backpacking the WV back country avoiding bear and coyote. They where there and on the move..

Kchen986
November 15th, 2010, 10:09 AM
7 to 4 ratio!!!!!!!! Is that a typo?? More instructors than students for both days?

Wish I could have been there.

Might be doing the 12/11 class with a friend.

Spent four days backpacking the WV back country avoiding bear and coyote. They where there and on the move..

My AAR was for Carbine II (Sunday). CCJA had trained a couple of Baltimore area firearm instructors, and Carbine II was a chance for them to practice teaching.

The ratio was probably higher, in fact. Each student had an instructor who would provide feedback and tips.

SRTMO
November 15th, 2010, 06:59 PM
kChen, that was me.

RRT075
November 15th, 2010, 09:04 PM
First time down there pretty impressed, now i need to find a way to make more money to go to more classes

mikec
November 16th, 2010, 12:20 AM
SRT MO, were you the individual I bounded with yesterday? (I was the National Guard meat puppet running around in full kit).

What is "bounded"?

Kchen986
November 16th, 2010, 12:35 AM
What is "bounded"?

It's also known as leapfrogging. This diagram shows movements bounding up.

http://www.shadow-warriors.org/Tactical%20Manual/Offens4.gif

glock_forty5
November 16th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Video of bounding, it was a team drill though... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtjb32d0Syk) You are in there Kchen.

JeepDriver
November 16th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I forgot about that drill.

I couldn't hear shit ! Being the end man sucks !

glock_forty5
November 17th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I forgot about that drill.

I couldn't hear shit ! Being the end man sucks !

You need to develop your tactical intuition! :D

StrikeFace
November 18th, 2010, 12:10 AM
You need to develop your tactical intuition! :D

I'm brainless, so I just look left and right and try to stay online with the guys next to me.

You know what's weird about those bounding drills? People do them overseas and shit!

Kchen986
November 18th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Video of bounding, it was a team drill though... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtjb32d0Syk) You are in there Kchen.

Good times. :thumbsup:

glock_forty5
November 18th, 2010, 05:39 PM
You know what's weird about those bounding drills? People do them overseas and shit!

That is the word on the street!

http://justifiedright.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341e75ed53ef01053680775b970b-pi