PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk Broadheads

Redneck
November 14th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I am considering switching from my Rage 3 blades to something different. The Rage 3 Blades have killed deer for me, but I have some issues with them. One is removing them from the quiver, I have to pay close attention to them and make sure all blades are locked in place. Its simple to keep an eye on, but a pain in the ass. I worry about a loose blade hanging out if I have to shoot twice. Another problem was that only two blades opened going into the deer I shot yesterday, but some how all 3 opened when it went through the heart. I also lost 2 of my 3 Rage's yesterday so figure it's a good time to consider something new

I have tried the NAP Bloodrunners and really like the design and accuracy, but they whistle going through the air.

Going with Rage 2 Blades has also crossed my mind.

So what do you guys like and recommend?

xtreme43s10
November 14th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I've shot the rage 2 blades this year and last, and am going to try something new. I don't like them. I'm leaning towards the g5 T3. I have slick tricks in my quiver for backup shot's and they are a great broadhead. I might even just shoot them from now on.

bean93x
November 14th, 2010, 09:53 PM
i like rage 2 blades and spitfire 100's.. haven't messed with many fixed blade ones but muzzies and montec's have killed alot of deer.

VNVGUNNER
November 15th, 2010, 07:20 AM
http://shop.eaglearchery.com/browse.cfm/g5-montec-cs-100-grain-broadhead-3-pack/4,10064.html

ALBY
November 15th, 2010, 08:37 AM
magnus stingers, but you need a home equity load to shoot them.

to be truthful, muzzy's do the job just fine.

xd40c
November 15th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I always used the G5 Montec. Call me old fashioned. The less moving parts the better.

Redneck
November 15th, 2010, 03:55 PM
http://shop.eaglearchery.com/browse.cfm/g5-montec-cs-100-grain-broadhead-3-pack/4,10064.html

Pretty neat, what size hole does it make?

joemac
November 15th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I've read that the best penetration comes from cut on contact broadheads. I also like the idea of the less moving parts the better

tim410
November 15th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I have the thunder head or something. They are pretty nice. Not forty dollars a pop either

itsslow98
November 15th, 2010, 11:25 PM
+1 for NAP Spitfires. LAst deer went 40 yards and fell over, never had to bend over to look for blood i could see ti with a flashlight 10 yards ahead of me the whole way to the deer. DOnt see any reason for me to ever switch.

tss1004
November 16th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Find a decent fixed blade and tune your bow. I became a big fan of carbon express mayhems a few years ago and bought a case when they discontinued them. They fly like a field point and blow through shoulders without a problem. Never had a deer go more than 20 or 30 yards. There are videos of rages doing crazy stuff when they hit hide. I don't trust 'em. I shot a 12 point last year with a mayhem quartering away and turned the opposite shoulder into hamburger and bone fragments. I have an extra pack I'll let you try, I think someone else is marketing them under a different name. I'll find out :)

lax
November 16th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I have used slicktricks with fine results, switched to 2 blade rages last year and they have been great, always get a pass through but I stay off the shoulder. I still want to try the newer g5 t3 since they seem to be an improvement over the rage, they dont use an 0 ring and they are steel with easily replaceable blades so using them on multiple deer isnt a problem from the hunters I have talked to using them

VNVGUNNER
November 16th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Pretty neat, what size hole does it make?

1 1/16" hole

Redneck
November 16th, 2010, 01:10 PM
After reading many reviews and looking at a lot of different types I feel like I keep going back to Rage 2 Blades or NAP Bloodrunner 2 blades.

My neighbor has a T3 that has a blade that will no longer lock in place. It happened by removing it from the quiver. Same problems the Rages have.

After a long close look, only 2 of the 3 Rage blades opened when I shot a deer Saturday, I had thought 3 opened through the heart but only 2 on impact and now believe that only 2 opened through the heart.

The NAP Bloodrunners seem like they are very tough to open. You really need to apply a lot of pressure to the point in order to get them to expand.

Anybody ever try the F15s with fixed and expanding blades?

Diesel Kinevel
November 16th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I switched from my Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain to the Rage 2 blade 100 grain this year. I cannot be happier. They shoot much tighter groups. The videos on the internet of the Rage 2 blades in action were enough for me to want to switch, not to mention my buddy who likes them so much offered to buy the ones I bought if I didn't like them.

-Z

lax
November 16th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I have one or 2 of the f15 expandable. They were offering them for free to test them out, I used one on my opening day deer. Didnt really like them, the rage gave me a better blood trail

the t3 use clips did he mangle one of those, do you have a foam in the top of your quiver? if you use mechanical its best to use the one piece two gripper quivers, like a quickee or lynx

buffalobob
November 16th, 2010, 08:04 PM
125 gr Thunderheads.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n168/bufflerbob/year%202010/Bow20102.jpg

Redneck
November 16th, 2010, 08:31 PM
125 gr Thunderheads.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n168/bufflerbob/year%202010/Bow20102.jpg

Sika?

Redneck
November 16th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I have one or 2 of the f15 expandable. They were offering them for free to test them out, I used one on my opening day deer. Didnt really like them, the rage gave me a better blood trail

the t3 use clips did he mangle one of those, do you have a foam in the top of your quiver? if you use mechanical its best to use the one piece two gripper quivers, like a quickee or lynx

Not sure, I'm gonna stop over there one day to take a better look at it.

tss1004
November 16th, 2010, 09:01 PM
The F-15 allegedly make a ton of noise downrange.

Redneck
November 16th, 2010, 09:07 PM
The F-15 allegedly make a ton of noise downrange.

I felt the the NAP Bloodrunners do too...

lax
November 16th, 2010, 09:40 PM
so did slick trick mags but the deer never complained

wilcam47
November 16th, 2010, 09:57 PM
i had hypershocks but didnt like them...switched to rage 2 blade...i have one down with it so I cant really say good or bad but this one had a good blood trail and only ran about 60yds

Diesel Kinevel
November 16th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Uncensored Rage 2 Blade broadhead footage.

http://www.ragebroadheads.com/Commercial/Uncensored-Footage/Footage.php

-Z

SOMDSHOOT
November 17th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I have been using Muzzy 100 3 blade for years, no reason to change a good thing here. I do not care for mechanical heads. I want a fixed no issues hit.

gtodave
November 17th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I am considering switching from my Rage 3 blades to something different. The Rage 3 Blades have killed deer for me, but I have some issues with them. One is removing them from the quiver, I have to pay close attention to them and make sure all blades are locked in place. Its simple to keep an eye on, but a pain in the ass. I worry about a loose blade hanging out if I have to shoot twice. Another problem was that only two blades opened going into the deer I shot yesterday, but some how all 3 opened when it went through the heart. Didn't we have this conversation a while back, and I mentioned many of these things? :innocent0 ;)

I switched from my Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain to the Rage 2 blade 100 grain this year. ... The videos on the internet of the Rage 2 blades in action were enough for me to want to switch... Even on their demo videos, you rarely see a pass-through shot with the Rage. They do make a helluva wound though....on one side.

I'm not a "seasoned" hunter by any means, but in 4 years of hunting with 100g Muzzy MX-3's the only deer that I didn't recover, and recover within sight, was one that I put a bad shot on. This year alone I have put 3 arrows straight through an opposite shoulder, only one didn't pass all the way through (3-4 yo buck). And on two of those shots (quartering away), I had people ask me if it was a Rage 2-blade, the wound was so wide (a good 3" from one blade cutting hide from the angle).

Plus, if I have a shot at a doubler, I just pull an arrow out of the quiver and I'm ready to shoot (no messing with blades), and if I'm stalking, I don't have to constantly check to make sure blades are in place if I bump a branch or leaf or the wind blows.

There's a lot of broadheads out there, and they all will kill a deer. You just have to find one that does it easily.

gtodave
November 17th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Uncensored Rage 2 Blade broadhead footage.

http://www.ragebroadheads.com/Commercial/Uncensored-Footage/Footage.php

-Z

perfect example of what I just said....no passthroughs

lax
November 17th, 2010, 12:59 PM
hmm I must shoot a magic bow, in 8 deer (last 2 seasons using rage 2 blade) they all went though both sides of a deer

Diesel Kinevel
November 17th, 2010, 09:10 PM
hmm I must shoot a magic bow, in 8 deer (last 2 seasons using rage 2 blade) they all went though both sides of a deer

I haven't seen any problems...Maybe y'all should lift weights and increase your draw weight...:D

-Z

Fordfan
November 18th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I am using the 3 blade blood runners. The whistle is annoying but I like the reliablilty and less worry about opening. MY buddy swears by slick tricks 100 grain 4 blade.

Vic
November 23rd, 2010, 04:16 PM
I shoot Muzzy 3 blade, very strong and kill well. I am shooting a crossbow though. My buds love the Grimm Reapers. Both say they have seen every deer they have shot in the last few drop within sight. They are also quite strong. One shot a buck and it entered in the right shoulder and exited left ribs. Went right on through no problem. I would shoot them too, but cost is an issue especially since most of my deer drop within sight with the Muzzy's. Just can't jusify it.

Vic

itsslow98
November 24th, 2010, 01:18 AM
^^^ Just an FYI i saw muzzys on clearance at walmart yesterday for like 13 bucks. I dont shoot them or id have bought them. This was the one in abingdon.

SOMDSHOOT
November 25th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I am using the 3 blade blood runners. The whistle is annoying but I like the reliablilty and less worry about opening. MY buddy swears by slick tricks 100 grain 4 blade.

I thought about those Slick Trick heads myself, but, then I said the same thing, I'm using the Muzzy 100 3 blade and they do a fine job, so, why try to improve on something I know I can kill with. The concept of mechanical blades is good, but, over all what's the point. I know a lot of guys who used mechanical heads and after about 2 seasons, they are back to fixed blade.

SOMDSHOOT
November 25th, 2010, 07:56 AM
^^^ Just an FYI i saw muzzys on clearance at walmart yesterday for like 13 bucks. I dont shoot them or id have bought them. This was the one in abingdon.

REALLY ? I'd buy every package they had and then ask for the ones in the warehouse too. I have probably 7-8 brand new unopened six packs here now though.

SOMDSHOOT
November 25th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I shoot Muzzy 3 blade, very strong and kill well. I am shooting a crossbow though. My buds love the Grimm Reapers. Both say they have seen every deer they have shot in the last few drop within sight. They are also quite strong. One shot a buck and it entered in the right shoulder and exited left ribs. Went right on through no problem. I would shoot them too, but cost is an issue especially since most of my deer drop within sight with the Muzzy's.

Vic

AMEN !

SOMDSHOOT
November 25th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Sika?
Zombie Chupacabra

Redneck
November 25th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Zombie Chupacabra

:lol2:

I decided to go with Rage 2 blades. Im going to upgrade the O rings and see what happens

trent.hawk
December 2nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Do you need expandables? I'm a huge fan of muzzy 100 (four blade trucar point). They get my vote. Silent, very accurate, and they get the job done.

navycrna
December 2nd, 2010, 09:40 PM
I like muzzy 125 3 blades never had any problems with accuracy and the extra weight really helps to punch through bone. Whatever you get don't get any 4 blades. Stick with the two or three.

Treeguy
December 6th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Slicktrick tends to stay on my arrows...i have suggested to a few hunting buddies to try them and they all love them..

I hit two deer with them last week and watched them both fall...they get the job done for me.

I think there are many good heads on the market..just make sure you practice with them and they shoot good, and keep the blades super sharp.

Slicktrick i feel is one of the best because the really do fly like fieldpoints and tend to not plane or drift off target. I remember shooting other heads that you needed to tune and mess with..

2A forever
December 14th, 2010, 02:13 PM
WASP JAKHAMMER !,..... nuf said.

possumman
January 14th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I have been hunting "traditional" for many years-longbow and recurve -cedar arrows-moving less than 200fps-feather fletch and Zwickey glue on heads - killed several deer with them and you can resharpen with a file and a crock stick. Had a shoulder injury last year and picked up a cheap Horton crossbow-killed 2 last year with Rocket Aerohead mechanicals and 2 this year with the same freebie F-15 mechanical that Carbon Express was giving away- it is still in perfect shape and I will use it again. I found a Rage on an arrow in the wood stuck in ground -not impressed - looks kind of flimsy and complicated, and you would never find me paying $15 for a disposable broadhead. In the past I have also used Bear Razorheads and even old Bodkin 3 Blade. If you get a decent shot they all work fine, even with a 50lb recurve you get full passthru--just dont take 60 yard shots. The mechanicals should fly better with hi-speed bows- the ones I use on the crossbow fly like field points.

Dantheman
February 9th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I'm a huge fan of the G5 Tekans. Simple and much stronger than rages. they dont leave a blood trail Stevie Wonder can follow but all the deer I have shot with them I walked right up to. If I dont switch over to fixed blades next year I'll probably go with T3's. I also like Wasp Jackhammers

tanglebones
April 27th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I'm sold on Rage... but for the new crossbow, I'm having a tough time deciding whether or not to go with the 3 or 2. Basically...it being a 150lb/260fps I'm leaning towards 3 - since they tout deeper penetration (if not pass through). I just want to make sure with this crossbow that barring a shoulderblade shot, I get the right broadhead for the job. If the crossbow was well over 300fps, I'd probably not worry about it as much.

So... for a 260fps/150lb crossbow, are the rage 2 or 3 recommended?

btw - this may rub some folks the wrong way, but I'm not concerned about reusing my broadheads after a kill. It's been a family tradition to retire the brass or arrow that "did it's job." I'll probably some day build a little display case for my collection.

frozencesium
April 27th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Muzzy mx-3 for me. The slight extra fps vs a retractable isn't really worth it, certainly not out to the ranges most of us shoot. Granted, there can be a slight difference in impact location, but that's what practice blades are for. In my case, practice blades and even field points impact at the same spot as regular broad heads. I need to chrono, but I'm guessing 290fps off my bow.

Setup:
Arrows: Goldtip Velocity-XT w/100gr heads and lumenoks (field for target Muzzy MX-3 for meat)
Bow: Rytera Nemesis, 2.0 cams, 65lb, stabilizer, 27" draw length
Sights: rear peep, front 3 pin with bubble level
Trufire wrist strap release

Dantheman
April 28th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I'm sold on Rage... but for the new crossbow, I'm having a tough time deciding whether or not to go with the 3 or 2. Basically...it being a 150lb/260fps I'm leaning towards 3 - since they tout deeper penetration (if not pass through). I just want to make sure with this crossbow that barring a shoulderblade shot, I get the right broadhead for the job. If the crossbow was well over 300fps, I'd probably not worry about it as much.

So... for a 260fps/150lb crossbow, are the rage 2 or 3 recommended?

btw - this may rub some folks the wrong way, but I'm not concerned about reusing my broadheads after a kill. It's been a family tradition to retire the brass or arrow that "did it's job." I'll probably some day build a little display case for my collection.

I dont think crossbows hit with the same kinetic energy as a compound so I would go with the Rage 40KE 2 blade. For some reason the 3 blades dont seem to leave blood trails like the 2 blades.

Maryland Hunter
April 30th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I've taken deer with Thunderheads, 100 & 125 gr, Muzzy 3 blades, Muzzy 4 Blades, Muzzy MX-4's, Slicktricks, Spitfires, Shockwaves, Rockets, Rage, Wasp SST Hammers, & Wasp Jakhammers. These were from my bows shooting 63 lbs draw weight. All, put in the right spot, will do the job equally well. No two shots will ever be the same, so it's very hard to judge a broadhead on each individual shot. Patterns over many harvests are needed for a fair assessment. Having said that, I really have never notice an advantage of one over the other.

MH

lax
April 30th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I dont think crossbows hit with the same kinetic energy as a compound so I would go with the Rage 40KE 2 blade. For some reason the 3 blades dont seem to leave blood trails like the 2 blades.

crossbows produce more KE

VNVGUNNER
May 1st, 2011, 09:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVxA1KP_k90

shrpshtrjoe
May 1st, 2011, 04:43 PM
I use Nap Spitfires.. Here is a site that does Broad Head Testing they have some great Info .. http://btreviews.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Vic
May 4th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I think Xbows generate more energy at close ranges, but since the bolt is short it looses velocity faster do to aerodynamics. I won't shoot at a deer past 30 yards, at least not intentionally. The only advantage of a Xbow over a compound is you don't have to draw to shoot.

Vic