PDA

View Full Version : Feral Hogs in Maryland...

SOMDSHOOT
September 30th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Dear Maryland Hunter:

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources is seeking information on the presence of feral (wild) hogs in Maryland. At present, we do not know of any established feral hog populations in our state, but it is important that we quickly find out if any populations should be discovered.

Feral hogs in the southeast United States have destroyed forest understory plants and devastated wildlife habitat. Isolated populations have been discovered in West Virginia, Virginia, and Ohio. It is critical for the protection of Maryland wildlife resources that we not allow feral hogs to become established here.

If you have seen or killed a feral hog in Maryland, please call me at the number below. If you know of someone who has seen or killed a feral hog, please urge them to contact me directly. If these destructive animals become established in our state, all of our wildlife resources will suffer - as will farmers, homeowners and Maryland's public lands. The sooner we learn or their presence, the better we will be able to deal with their removal.

Thanks, and I wish you all a safe and rewarding season afield.

Jonathan A. McKnight
Associate Director for Habitat Conservation
Maryland Department of Natural Resources
Wildlife and Heritage Service
508 Taylor Avenue
Annapolis, MD. 21401
410-260-8539
jmcknight@dnr.state.md.us

Inigoes
September 30th, 2010, 01:36 PM
So it's open season, if we see any wild pigs?

bowtiebandit
September 30th, 2010, 01:43 PM

Be nice to get some clarification but this is what I found.

http://times-news.com/archive/x1413001849/Wild-pigs-not-roaming-state

SOMDSHOOT
September 30th, 2010, 01:43 PM

Yep. Maryland has no hog / pig laws on the books.

I would love to see some on the Western Side of Charles County.

Inigoes
September 30th, 2010, 01:47 PM

You got plenty of genie hens though :innocent0

hailtoby
September 30th, 2010, 02:13 PM

Hells yeah! :party29:

kstone803
September 30th, 2010, 02:31 PM
It would be a terrible blow to the agricultutre industry of this state should they start invading MD. However they are delicious and we could hunt them all year. Kind of a toss up in my mind. But if I had to guess it won't be long before they are here becuase somebody decides to bring them in for a "game farm" (whatever the **** that is) and they get out.

tosainu1
September 30th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I wish they would hurry up and get here...It would save me a drive...how close are they to Northern Virginia??

boule
September 30th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Dear DNR,

I have many wild boar recipies to go through and would love to test my ML on them. Please post the coordinates of suspected populations!

Thanks!

jimbobborg
September 30th, 2010, 02:44 PM
We had a discussion on a Virginia board about feral hogs. Nothing in Northern Virginia, some out west. Coyotes are becoming a problem, though.

Jim

Polecat
September 30th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Deebd by god, there's a bunch over in the 7th district. They shuck oyst'rs, pick the #1 hard crab, drive pickem up trucks, drink bud in 8oz bottles and play softball. All of them are bottle blonds and really pull a plow good. ....Dang you ment real pigs.....well I go back to the start of my response.....:lol2::sad20::D

MikeTF
September 30th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Dear DNR,

I have many wild boar recipies to go through and would love to test my ML on them. Please post the coordinates of suspected populations!

Thanks!
:thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm with you on this one! Time for an MDS pig roast or luao.

Outerlimits
September 30th, 2010, 03:36 PM

Go on over to Lisa's in Indian Head. If you are real quite you may sneak up on some. I understand they run in small groups, you may get a couple.:lol2::lol2:

lowoncash
September 30th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Deebd by god, there's a bunch over in the 7th district. They shuck oyst'rs, pick the #1 hard crab, drive pickem up trucks, drink bud in 8oz bottles and play softball. All of them are bottle blonds and really pull a plow good. ....Dang you ment real pigs.....well I go back to the start of my response.....:lol2::sad20::D

Be careful Polecat. These are REALLY dangerous!

E.Shell
September 30th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Yep. Maryland has no hog / pig laws on the books...This in itself is bad news unless they add it to the "No Closed Season" list.

The way the law reads, if there is no specific open season on a given species, it is "protected" wildlife and illegal to injure/kill/harass/capture. IOW: "closed season" by default.

swinokur
September 30th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Top 10 Bacon Quotes
from Homer Simpson

1. "(Lisa) "I'm going to become a vegetarian" (Homer) "Does that mean you're not going to eat any pork?" "Yes" "Bacon?" "Yes Dad" Ham?" "Dad all those meats come from the same animal" "Right Lisa, some wonderful, magical animal!""
2. "Porkchops and bacon, my two favorite animals."
3. "When your in my house you shall do as I do and believe who i believe in. So Bart butter your bacon."
4. "Is it Bacon Day?"
5. "Mmmm. Move over, eggs. Bacon just got a new best friend - fudge."
6. "Not again! First you took away my Philly Fudgesteak. And then my Bacon Balls. Then my Whatchamachicken. You monster!"
7. Homer: I'll have the smiley face breakfast special. Uhh, but could you add a bacon nose? Plus bacon hair, bacon mustache, five o'clock shadow made of bacon bits and a bacon body.
Waitress: How about I just shove a pig down your throat?
(Homer looks excited)
Waitress: I was kidding.
Homer: Fine, but the bacon man lives in a bacon house!
Waitress: No he doesn't!
8. "[strained] You know that feeling you get when a thousand knives of fire are stabbing you in the heart? I'm having that right now...[normal] Ooh, bacon!
9. "Mmm ... bacon"
10. "Mmm ... unexplained bacon"

bowtiebandit
September 30th, 2010, 06:22 PM
http://www.mdinvasivesp.org/archived_invaders/archived_invaders_2009_12.html

Another article on it

The last paragraph

"Is it legal to shoot feral swine in Maryland? Yes. Because wild swine are the same species as domestic pigs, there is no biological basis for determining whether a given animal is feral. If you know or have reason to believe that a hog is a temporary runaway from your neighbor’s hog farm, you should not kill that pig. Otherwise, if you own or have permission to hunt a property or you are hunting on public lands, please take that animal and call DNR."

SOMDSHOOT
September 30th, 2010, 06:28 PM
It would be a terrible blow to the agricultutre industry of this state should they start invading MD. However they are delicious and we could hunt them all year. Kind of a toss up in my mind. But if I had to guess it won't be long before they are here becuase somebody decides to bring them in for a "game farm" (whatever the **** that is) and they get out.

I'm sorry, where is this ? All the farms down here have been turned into walmarts and parking lots from Indian Head to Lexington Park. Anybody who owns land now can't afford to farm it. Bring on the hogs !

A game farm is one of those places like the famous "Big Bucks of Tecamate" (El Casador Ranch on TV (jeff foxworthy) , you know one where they just did a special segment last week due to the fact they are trying to "cover up" their secrets of raising deer on fenced in lots ( you see a lot of fences in the background shots on this show).

A game farm is just what it is, they raise a specific animal crop annually and charge you out the nose to shoot them, not hunt, "shoot", there's a difference.

Like the debate about local "buffalo hunting", surely you've heard about this one. The guy raises Bufflo and then charges people $2,500 to come to his farm and "hunt" (shoot, shhhh!) them in his pasture as they stand there and look at you... because they think it's feeding time...

SOMDSHOOT
September 30th, 2010, 06:37 PM
This in itself is bad news unless they add it to the "No Closed Season" list.

The way the law reads, if there is no specific open season on a given species, it is "protected" wildlife and illegal to injure/kill/harass/capture. IOW: "closed season" by default.

I am certain this is for winged creatures only. When it comes to pigs, it's time to get your pork on.

Goose Guy
September 30th, 2010, 06:44 PM
MMMMMMMMMM....bacon.

How is it that an animal made of bacon is so over populated? In the South no less!

mercop
September 30th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Can you give me a call and let me know where you are seeing them. My sister in law is missing.

STSCM
September 30th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Can you give me a call and let me know where you are seeing them. My sister in law is missing.

Check around Pax River, there's a whole herd there, some of em even have I.D. cards!:lol2:
Walmart seems to be feeding a number of em also, just saying...:innocent0

Inigoes
September 30th, 2010, 07:06 PM
This in itself is bad news unless they add it to the "No Closed Season" list.

If this is the case. DNR is asking the hunters to rat them-self out?

DNR doesn't even have them on the list as an invasive specie (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/invasives/)

FFMike
September 30th, 2010, 07:10 PM
A few years ago, there waas an issue with roaming hogs in Carroll County (New Windsor area I believe) due to an issue with a farmer there. He was a hog farmer but when his animals would get out (usually more the 6 at a time) he would only patch the fence and never looked for the pigs.

They established a small group and ravaged the neighbors yards, the woods and some crop fields.

The guy was utlimately charged and I believe lost all of his animals due to the conditions in which they were living. He was fined/jailed and forfieted all of his stock.

I don't know if they are still loose there in Carroll County, but they were at one time.

Bigdtc
September 30th, 2010, 07:11 PM
If this is the case. DNR is asking the hunters to rat them-self out?

DNR doesn't even have them on the list as an invasive specie (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/invasives/)

...It's a trap!!

SOMDSHOOT
September 30th, 2010, 07:51 PM
...It's a trap!!

They aren't listed as invasive simply because they've never existed in the state as a game animal.

Inigoes
September 30th, 2010, 08:05 PM
They aren't listed as invasive simply because they've never existed in the state as a game animal.

Neither has snake head

SOMDSHOOT
September 30th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Neither has snake head

I guess when the hog population reaches the snake head population numbers, my fun times will be better. I want a Eurasian Wild Boar though, I've slaughtered enough domesticated hogs before on the farm, totally different animal. Feral pigs are just wild-born domestics and that's no fun, I want something that will attack if provoked.

foxtrapper
October 2nd, 2010, 08:59 PM
Yeah those European/Russian type wild pigs would be the best, nice hairy bristles, big tusks, mean as heck, make nice mounts= more business for me. Though boars are a PIA to flesh. The bigger and older the boar, the more "shield" to pare down. Of course our 6 pointer Japanese sikas have inch thick skin behind the antlers, so....

DNR also needs to place a huge healthy coyote in one of my traps every day of the upcoming season. And the officers need to stop watching and start putting huge otters into the otter traps, till I have 10. They can even tag them for me while dead in the traps, so when I show up a little while later for my daily check, I can be extra happy. A few 70 pound beavers would also be nice. And a ranch mink that got loose from somewhere in PA. Oh and a fisher in a fox set.

Dead Eye
October 2nd, 2010, 09:28 PM
Sounds like fallout from Global Climate Disruption. :D

E.Shell
October 3rd, 2010, 03:02 PM
See references on the various pages of the "Hunting & trapping Guide" as listed below: http://pub.jfgriffin.com/doc/jfgriffin/10MDHD
I am certain this is for winged creatures only... Note the definition of "nongame birds and mammals" on the Guide page 14 glossary and the prominent use of the word "every".If this is the case. DNR is asking the hunters to rat them-self out?...Interesting question, but I doubt it, but technically speaking, it IS against the law to kill it if it's not listed as a game animal or as unprotected.....DNR doesn't even have them on the list as an invasive specie (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/invasives/) It seems like a simple oversight not to have added the pig to the invasive species list, but perhaps that's what the study is about.They aren't listed as invasive simply because they've never existed in the state as a game animal.Never knew this was the case. So you're saying that there is a formal policy in place that an animal must have been listed as a game animal in order to be officially considered an invasive species? Seems rather odd to limit invasive species on the list (like Zebra Mussels) to those who have been hunted. Why would this be?

I would note that the glossary also shows the definition of "protected birds and mammals" as being *any* wild bird or mammal not defined as game or unprotected.

Sure, feral pigs are serious pests and should be eradicated, but there should be some clarification of the legality of shooting them when the law is pretty clear about what is legal to kill under MD hunting law.

SOMDSHOOT
October 3rd, 2010, 05:54 PM
See references on the various pages of the "Hunting & trapping Guide"

It seems like a simple oversight not to have added the pig to the invasive species list, but perhaps that's what the study is about.

Note the definition of "nongame birds and mammals" on the Guide page 14 glossary and the prominent use of the word "every".

Sure, feral pigs are serious pests and should be eradicated, but there should be some clarification of the legality of shooting them when the law is pretty clear about what is legal to kill under MD hunting law.

You have to educate yourself on "invasive species" outside of the terms you keep referring to as "guide" glossary and "hunting" laws, which you are obviously getting from the hunting and trapping guide.

We are discussing "feral pigs", like we would discuss "ground hogs", which are a "shoot to kill vermin" as well, but, we're not worried about what the information the "hunting and trapping guide" has to offer, it has no bearing on the conversation, plus we need to get back on the topic of feral hogs in Maryland and shootin' at'em because we can. When they become listed in Maryland, we'll debate this issue.

foxtrapper
October 3rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
I was just thinking- what about shooting mt lions? LOL

gtodave
October 4th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I was just thinking- what about shooting mt lions? LOL

Simple, they don't exist in MD accordign to DNR, so it would be impossible to shoot one.

E.Shell
October 4th, 2010, 09:54 AM
You have to educate yourself on "invasive species" outside of the terms you keep referring to as "guide" glossary and "hunting" laws, which you are obviously getting from the hunting and trapping guide.

We are discussing "feral pigs", like we would discuss "ground hogs", which are a "shoot to kill vermin" as well, but, we're not worried about what the information the "hunting and trapping guide" has to offer, it has no bearing on the conversation, plus we need to get back on the topic of feral hogs in Maryland and shootin' at'em because we can. When they become listed in Maryland, we'll debate this issue.Please document your assertion with a legal citation and set me straight with a legitimate legal reference that supersedes the Hunting Guide and contradicts what I said above.

Otherwise, I have to believe you're just expressing a personal opinion.

To be clear:
1) I do not oppose killing feral hogs at all and believe they should be 100% eradicated.
2) I am opposed to encouraging folks to break the law and/or being cited for killing species that do not appear on the game animal list or the unprotected species list.

SOMDSHOOT
October 4th, 2010, 10:46 AM
"Wild hogs, whether feral or boar, are considered invasive nuisance animals as of 2010. They are known to be in all southern states, and they are spreading. A few have been spotted in Maryland and there are no rules governing hunting them."

Rules

As of 2010, hogs are not considered game animals. There are no rules regarding hunting or killing them. Maryland wildlife officials say if hogs are spotted they should be killed and should be reported to the state wildlife commission.

Technical information is simply not available on the subject, there has been no reason in the past to develop a "legal reference" on the matter. Try finding laws or regulations on Groundhogs via Maryland DNR.

The fact still remains, I would love to have the opportunity to take a feral hog in Maryland, regardless if it gets to the point of being a regulated "game animal" or not. At this point few states have regulations on them simply because the state doesn't want them here, so, it's back to "shoot-to-kill" for all residence.

2) I am opposed to encouraging folks to break the law and/or being cited for killing species that do not appear on the game animal list or the unprotected species list.

I'm sorry, but, I'm not going to continue debating this subjects "unwritten" legalities, when there are no laws specific to the animal to debate. You can not "break" a law, there is no law. They are not on an "unprotected species list" because the feral hogs "are considered invasive nuisance animals as of 2010." They are not going to be listed if they are classified as such. If they do become listed as a "game animal", it'll be a happy day on this end.

Now, back to killing lawless wild pigs for Sunday breakfast.

Calengor
October 4th, 2010, 10:53 AM
"Wild hogs, whether feral or boar, are considered invasive nuisance animals as of 2010. They are known to be in all southern states, and they are spreading. A few have been spotted in Maryland and there are no rules governing hunting them."

Rules

As of 2010, hogs are not considered game animals. There are no rules regarding hunting or killing them. Maryland wildlife officials say if hogs are spotted they should be killed and should be reported to the state wildlife commission.

Where did you get this information?

Inigoes
October 4th, 2010, 10:54 AM
[I]
Technical information is simply not available on the subject, there has been no reason in the past to develop a "legal reference" on the matter. Try finding laws or regulations on Groundhogs via Maryland DNR.

The fact still remains, I would love to have the opportunity to take a feral hog in Maryland, regardless if it gets to the point of being a regulated "game animal" or not. At this point few states have regulations on them simply because the state doesn't want them here, so, it's back to "shoot-to-kill" for all residence.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide/geninfo.asp

Note: The woodchuck and nutria are classified as “unprotected mammals.” As such, a hunting license is not required to hunt woodchucks and nutria except in Baltimore and Frederick Counties. Woodchucks and nutria may be hunted throughout the year, including on Sundays. Hunters must wear fluorescent orange while hunting woodchucks. All legal hunting devices may be used to hunt woodchucks and nutria.

SOMDSHOOT
October 4th, 2010, 11:01 AM
http://dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide/geninfo.asp

Thanks for the backing information. I appreciate that. :thumbsup:

xd40c
October 4th, 2010, 11:03 AM
We had a discussion on a Virginia board about feral hogs. Nothing in Northern Virginia, some out west. Coyotes are becoming a problem, though.

Jim

Oh hell, I've got a coyote problem outside Aberdeen....

SOMDSHOOT
October 4th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Where did you get this information?

The excerpts are from a report released by the Maryland Department of Agriculture. The MDA got a statement release from the MD DNR regarding the position of the feral hogs issue as the MD DNR relates to it. The release dates back to the feral hog studies that were done in Carroll County, but, DNR's position is "statewide" on the matter.

SOMDSHOOT
October 4th, 2010, 11:06 AM

I think Inigoes is releasing them, there appears to be a few down his way.:D

Inigoes
October 4th, 2010, 11:23 AM
The excerpts are from a report released by the Maryland Department of Agriculture. The MDA got a statement release from the MD DNR regarding the position of the feral hogs issue as the MD DNR relates to it. The release dates back to the feral hog studies that were done in Carroll County, but, DNR's position is "statewide" on the matter.

You have a link?

SOMDSHOOT
October 4th, 2010, 11:32 AM
You have a link?

http://www.dhmh.state.md.us/publ-rel/html/2006/mda072006.htm

There is also same / similar information on the MDA website (http://www.mda.state.md.us/article.php?i=4325).

Calengor
October 4th, 2010, 11:39 AM

There is also same / similar information on the MDA website (http://www.mda.state.md.us/article.php?i=4325).

The articles you linked don't contain the information you posted...

Inigoes
October 4th, 2010, 11:43 AM

There's the rub, the Dept of Agriculture has the Authority based on food contamination and it was a seizure operation.

There was no mention of DNR.

SOMDSHOOT
October 4th, 2010, 12:20 PM
How this thread got this point is beyond me, but, just so we understand, the idea of feral hog hunting came from the letter in the original post, so, can we get back to the prospect of shooting a feral hog if one is found in Maryland. I'm not going to debate this anymore, it's gotten way off mark with my original post. I made the post to talk about hunting hogs in Maryland, the thread took a hard legal turn at post #31, so, with that said, I'm done until someone puts the train back on the tracks. The first several replies to the original post obviously understood the purpose of the letter, after that, it's gone to hell, so, I'm done with it.

[/URL][URL="http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/7970/MD/US/#UPDATES"]
(http://www.mdinvasivesp.org/archived_invader%20/archived_invaders_2009_12.html)

jimbobborg
October 4th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I've got four rifles and two shotguns that I could use for this application. I would actually pay for an out of state license in MD for this opportunity, since most of MD is closer to me than where the hogs are in VA.

Jim

K31
October 4th, 2010, 12:29 PM
So, Ed, would you be charged with "killing a protected species" if you shot a feral hog in Maryland? Sounds pretty severe, the same as shooting a Bald Eagle, correct?

Inigoes
October 4th, 2010, 12:30 PM
How this thread got this point is beyond me, but, just so we understand, the idea of feral hog hunting came from the letter in the original post, so, can we get back to the prospect of shooting a feral hog if one is found in Maryland. I'm not going to debate this anymore, it's gotten way off mark with my original post. I made the post to talk about hunting hogs in Maryland, the thread took a hard legal turn at post #31, so, with that said, I'm done until someone puts the train back on the tracks. The first several replies to the original post obviously understood the purpose of the letter, after that, it's gone to hell, so, I'm done with it.

[/URL][URL="http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/7970/MD/US/#UPDATES"]
(http://www.mdinvasivesp.org/archived_invader%20/archived_invaders_2009_12.html)

No ones doubting you, we're just looking for conformation is all. So far everything posted is not signed off by DNR.

I wouldn't want to get in trouble for shooting a farmers hog, that wandered onto my property. Knowing, domestic pigs can go feral rather quickly.

SOMDSHOOT
October 4th, 2010, 12:31 PM
LOL I just found another thread on another forum, that is now heading in the same backasswards direction this one has:

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php/216772-Feral-Hogs-in-Maryland

I should join their forum and tell them where the thread is headed. LMAO Now I know it's time for me to end my interest in this thread.

SOMDSHOOT
October 4th, 2010, 12:37 PM
No ones doubting you, we're just looking for conformation is all. So far everything posted is not signed off by DNR.

I wouldn't want to get in trouble for shooting a farmers hog, that wandered onto my property. Knowing, domestic pigs can go feral rather quickly.

I understand what you're saying, but, the thread just went off in a direction I didn't intend. But, here is the article that appeared by way of the letter in the original post which brought DNR into the whole debate, you should find your connection in this article:

(http://times-news.com/archive/x1413001849/Wild-pigs-not-roaming-state)

Inigoes
October 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I understand what you're saying, but, the thread just went off in a direction I didn't intend. But, here is the article that appeared by way of the letter in the original post which brought DNR into the whole debate, you should find your connection in this article:

(http://times-news.com/archive/x1413001849/Wild-pigs-not-roaming-state)

My point is, PA is a shoot on sight as long as you are a licensed hunter, and not in the 5 protected counties. The PA game commission rendered a decision and disseminated the info.

Apparently Maryland DNR has not done so as of yet. Until we get proof, then we could get into trouble for shooting the farmer's hogs.

K31
October 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM
So Ed, let me me ask you this, say someone shoots a feral hog in Maryland and then the DNR grabs their gun, their vehicle, their hog and them. So they go to prison and their cell mate is some big dude that's got a life sentence from killing and eating the family that used to live next door to him, and the cell mate as a way of welcoming him makes the hog-shooter squeal like a pig.

Wouldn't that be ironic?

SOMDSHOOT
October 4th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Apparently Maryland DNR has not done so as of yet. Until we get proof, then we could get into trouble for shooting the farmer's hogs.

That I don't know, don't care, had no intentions of going there, but, I am trying to discuss the possibilities of "feral" hogs/pigs hunting in maryland. How do we know if it is a "wild / feral Hog" or "farmer john's hog"... All the pig farmers I knew ear tagged their stock, if he don't have a tag or a tattoo, shot him! (?) But, eventually maybe someone will answer the question from the letter in the OP, as in the manner of asking "anyone seen any feral pigs? if so, let me know"

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6775921_wild-hog-hunting-maryland.html

Originally Posted by SOMDSHOOT http://www.mdshooters.com/mds/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=812420#post812420)

Rules

Calengor
October 4th, 2010, 01:31 PM
That I don't know, don't care, had no intentions of going there, but, I am trying to discuss the possibilities of "feral" hogs/pigs hunting in maryland. How do we know if it is a "wild / feral Hog" or "farmer john's hog"... All the pig farmers I knew ear tagged their stock, if he don't have a tag or a tattoo, shot him! (?) But, eventually maybe someone will answer the question from the letter in the OP, as in the manner of asking "anyone seen any feral pigs? if so, let me know"

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6775921_wild-hog-hunting-maryland.html

Originally Posted by SOMDSHOOT http://www.mdshooters.com/mds/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=812420#post812420)

Rules

Earmarks and ear tattoos might be difficult to see unless you're relatively close to the pig. Eartags would probably be easy enough to spot.

SOMDSHOOT
October 4th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Earmarks and ear tattoos might be difficult to see unless you're relatively close to the pig. Eartags would probably be easy enough to spot.

Yep. The ear tags are usually yellow or orange and they come in a specific size for swine. Tattoos have to be placed on the outside of the ear and the needle stamps are about 2" tall and black ink, easy to see on domesticated stock.

gtodave
October 4th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I understand what you're saying, but, the thread just went off in a direction I didn't intend. Sometimes they do that ;)

And for what it's worth, Ed is just looking out for the members of this board....he's not busting your balls. Why not look at ALL the info available and figure out which answer is correct, and where DNR needs to clarify?

gtodave
October 4th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Back on original topic: I'd love to hunt hogs closer to home :)

SOMDSHOOT
October 4th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Sometimes they do that ;)

And for what it's worth, Ed is just looking out for the members of this board....he's not busting your balls. Why not look at ALL the info available and figure out which answer is correct, and where DNR needs to clarify?

Oh I'm not worried about getting my balls busted LOL I always expect some kind of speed bump on the roads of forums. I'm taking in all of the information, but, things got thrown off the road and I'm trying to get the wheels back on the pavement. It's all good.

SOMDSHOOT
October 4th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Back on original topic: I'd love to hunt hogs closer to home :)

Same here. We used to hunt some feral hog on my grandparents farm that ran wild on the pipelines that run through St.Mary's county that used to be owned by Stewart Petroleum, but, that was back in the late 70's and early 80's. I can account for at least 10 hogs that were taken back then in the Redgate area.

I would have to assume if there are any progressions of hogs from the South coming to Maryland, they have to come in from the Western counties or from the North, there's not really natural bridge for them to migrate into the state from the South, we're surrounded by water on 3 sides, but, we know a hog can swing with ease too.

MDCXD
October 4th, 2010, 04:51 PM
So Ed, let me me ask you this, say someone shoots a feral hog in Maryland and then the DNR grabs their gun, their vehicle, their hog and them. So they go to prison and their cell mate is some big dude that's got a life sentence from killing and eating the family that used to live next door to him, and the cell mate as a way of welcoming him makes the hog-shooter squeal like a pig.

Wouldn't that be ironic?

LMAO:lol2: That is funny.

foxtrapper
October 4th, 2010, 08:53 PM

Send them westward. I will be waiting with my #2 Bridgers, #3 softcatches, and the misc #2's.

K31
October 5th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Send them westward. I will be waiting with my #2 Bridgers, #3 softcatches, and the misc #2's.

I've left misc #2's around.

If you see someone run madly for the nearest curb and scrap their shoe, that was probably me.

KevinB
October 5th, 2010, 12:39 PM
You guys surprise me. When I first saw the thread title, I thought I'd soon see pics of Barbara Mikulski, and so far no mention. :sad20:

swinokur
October 5th, 2010, 12:49 PM
hate to do this...

Inigoes
October 5th, 2010, 12:50 PM
You guys surprise me. When I first saw the thread title, I thought I'd soon see pics of Barbara Mikulski, and so far no mention. :sad20:

hate to do this...

Until now :facepalm:

SOMDSHOOT
October 5th, 2010, 01:04 PM

Yeah I figured this thread would get way off topic on another subject too, but, surprisingly enough, everyone has been playing nice and not ruining another thread.

bowtiebandit
October 5th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Jonathan A. McKnight
508 Taylor Avenue
Annapolis, MD. 21401
410-260-8539

Has anyone called or emailed him asking for clarification?

SOMDSHOOT
October 5th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Jonathan A. McKnight
508 Taylor Avenue
Annapolis, MD. 21401
410-260-8539

Has anyone called or emailed him asking for clarification?

I haven't, no need too, but, go ahead and give him a shout, you never know what he might know.

kstone803
October 5th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I'm currently in SC and saw a roadkilled hog in southern Virginia on the way down. First on eI've ever seen. I think I may go down to Georgia in March and shoot me sum hogs!!!!!!

davidlj
October 5th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Hunted them in SC and now 2 for 2 good eats. But I would not like to see them loose up here. I have noted the damage they do down south.

h2u
October 5th, 2010, 11:52 PM
This crew likes to make an appearance throughout the year in my neighborhood. Looks like they're reproducing as well :thumbsup:
There are several larger adults just out of picture-I was focusing on the youngins to show my kids.

OK- Did a screen shot on a movie to get the adults. Don't know much about hog hunting, but up close they looked pretty big.

I triple dog dare DNR to make them legal.....

SOMDSHOOT
October 6th, 2010, 07:33 AM
This crew likes to make an appearance throughout the year in my neighborhood. Looks like they're reproducing as well :thumbsup:
There are several larger adults just out of picture-I was focusing on the youngins to show my kids.

OK- Did a screen shot on a movie to get the adults. Don't know much about hog hunting, but up close they looked pretty big.

These hogs are fine examples of domesticated hogs that are now considered feral / wild. Wild boars do not have those dual color patterns. The black/white patterns are known as Bazna's, Bantu's, and Banzers, depending on country. The full pink/white pigs are known as Yorkshires. Wild hog, when the domestication has been "bred out" through a few generations are either full black or redish browns.

I'm assuming this is in St.Mary's ? I'm familiar with the jargon from your location: line

Inigoes
October 6th, 2010, 07:55 AM
These hogs are fine examples of domesticated hogs that are now considered feral / wild.

Have you noticed, they do not have ear tags?

Pigs/Hogs do get out, from time to time. I as an individual raising a hog for myself, I would not tag a hog/pig, and would be pissed if someone shot my property.

Kind of like someone shooting your dog for getting loose, because the collar had broken.

frozencesium
October 6th, 2010, 10:29 AM

Those are obviously escapees since they are way to fat even to be truly feral. That said, if I saw them for any length of time (i.e. they weren't rounded up and returned to the farmer), they're dinner.

Edit: Also, over time even a domesticated pig's skull will change shape forming pretty much a straight line from snout to ears. If they have that high forehead and a bridge between the ears and the snout which those pigs do, they are domesticated and/or haven't been in the wild long. The opposite is also true; hogs will loose the straight line and will form that dip/bridge between the ears and snout if you domesticate a wild/feral hog. Hogs are interesting critters in that their skull will change shape even in adulthood depending on whether they are feral or domesticated.

SOMDSHOOT
October 6th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Pigs/Hogs do get out, from time to time. I as an individual raising a hog for myself, I would not tag a hog/pig, and would be pissed if someone shot my property.

True that, but, if you are raising them as a market hogs, people come to check you out because you better paper work for each hog you own, this is a law.

These days people don't raise hogs like they use to for food, back then, they tagged and put stamps on them to keep them from being rustled like Texas steers. I am curious however to find out what classifies as a feral hog, if it was a lose pig to start with, would that hog be considered a feral hog, or would the second gen offspring be considered the first gen feral. Oh boy..., I have another question now LOL

SOMDSHOOT
October 6th, 2010, 12:16 PM
H2U... what did you say your address was again, I forgot it. :innocent0

Inigoes
October 6th, 2010, 12:29 PM
These days people don't raise hogs like they use to for food, back then, they tagged and put stamps on them to keep them from being rustled like Texas steers. I am curious however to find out what classifies as a feral hog, if it was a lose pig to start with, would that hog be considered a feral hog, or would the second gen offspring be considered the first gen feral. Oh boy..., I have another question now LOL

Now, you are coming around.

Not all "Farmers" are commercial. When the economy continues to sink, backyard farming will come back into the limelight.

Pigs/Hogs are the ultimate recycler, and a great source of protein. :yummy:

SOMDSHOOT
October 6th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Now, you are coming around.

Not all "Farmers" are commercial. When the economy continues to sink, backyard farming will come back into the limelight.

Pigs/Hogs are the ultimate recycler, and a great source of protein. :yummy:

No, I've been around, a few times. I understand what has been said before, the problem is some of the previous comments were not said the way they should have been, this is why I gave up trying to fight the "law" issues in this thread, but, it's all good, let's just keep this thing on track with hunting hogs and not taking them to court.

I will say, my grandfather used to have some really mangy old hogs that never left the hog pin, and were never slaughtered for winter meat, but, after many years, that hog had the tusks and the hair to make one think it was actually a pinned wild boar, but, his hogs were always tagged as well, even though they were not market hogs.

Absolut_Nick
October 6th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Thought I had caught a fascinating Nova special on the training feral hogs.

Turns out it was an episode of The Biggest Loser

Streetgang
October 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Would Rosie O'Donnell be considered domesticated or feral?
http://www.hyscience.com/rosie.jpg

swinokur
October 6th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Would Rosie O'Donnell be considered domesticated or feral?

How can you tell the difference?

:lol2:

SOMDSHOOT
October 6th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Well, this thread is done.

joppaj
October 6th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Nah, not yet anyway. I'd love to try hunting wild/ feral pigs. That said, I've seen the damage they can do and I have no desire at all to see that here in MD.

SOMDSHOOT
October 6th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Nah, not yet anyway. I'd love to try hunting wild/ feral pigs. That said, I've seen the damage they can do and I have no desire at all to see that here in MD.

AND IT'S BACK ! LOL THANKS !

Yeah me too. My wife was going to ship me to Tennessee for a hog hunt for my anniversary, but, I could not justify the costs. There are a few places in North Carolina and southern Virginia that charge $275.00 a day and you can shoot what you want, rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, pistol, whatever. I have been getting brochures in the mail for the past 2 weeks and I'm still pretty serious about it.

swinokur
October 6th, 2010, 05:40 PM
that's one reason i was looking into converting my G30 to 10mm for backup

joppaj
October 6th, 2010, 06:45 PM
BTW guys, I "internet know" the gy that runs this site:

http://www.wildhoghunters.com/

They just re-launched and I'm sure they'd like to have some MD members.

SOMDSHOOT
October 6th, 2010, 07:48 PM
BTW guys, I "internet know" the gy that runs this site:

http://www.wildhoghunters.com/

They just re-launched and I'm sure they'd like to have some MD members.

Well, then what's your problem? Get on the horn and tell the guy to ship some up here.

joppaj
October 6th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Well, then what's your problem? Get on the horn and tell the guy to ship some up here.

He'd be more than happy to help us find a place to shoot them in his neck of the woods (Eastern Texas). :D

SOMDSHOOT
October 7th, 2010, 04:03 PM
A fella I know took an apprenticeship job of some kind with the Virginia Game and Fish commission to kill wild hogs in the hills of Blacksburg years ago. He said it was the best job in the world, go out camp in the woods, live off of vienna sausages and kill wild hogs to control the populations over there. Now he is a wildlife biologist with the Maryland Department of Agriculture. I wish I had that opportunity, he said it never felt like a job.

davidlj
October 14th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Not the largest I have shot but it was a good meat hog.

xtreme43s10
October 15th, 2010, 12:15 AM
AND IT'S BACK ! LOL THANKS !

Yeah me too. My wife was going to ship me to Tennessee for a hog hunt for my anniversary, but, I could not justify the costs. There are a few places in North Carolina and southern Virginia that charge $275.00 a day and you can shoot what you want, rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, pistol, whatever. I have been getting brochures in the mail for the past 2 weeks and I'm still pretty serious about it.

If you are serious and want someone to go with you let me know, I would Love to shoot another Hog :thumbsup:

kstone803
October 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Me and a buddy are headed here in late march/early april.

www.jagerpro.com

Looks like an amzing way to spend a weekend.

SOMDSHOOT
October 15th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Me and a buddy are headed here in late march/early april.

www.jagerpro.com (http://www.jagerpro.com)

Looks like an amzing way to spend a weekend.

LOL SHOOT THE WHITE PIG !!!!

cmecha
October 15th, 2010, 04:03 PM
man i would love to go hog hunting. found a place down in SC but any one have any experience with any closer.

SOMDSHOOT
October 15th, 2010, 09:20 PM
man i would love to go hog hunting. found a place down in SC but any one have any experience with any closer.

There's only a few-3 place closer that don't charge +$800.00 to shoot a pig. The Carolina's are a 1/3 of that.

frozencesium
October 19th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I'd say go to Annapolis but the cops may complain about taking out their funding sources.

wilcam47
October 19th, 2010, 10:04 AM
There's only a few-3 place closer that don't charge +$800.00 to shoot a pig. The Carolina's are a 1/3 of that.

some places in tx actually pay you to hunt/kill them...i cant wait to get back there!