PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun 1 - Sunday 5/23/10

jmira
April 12th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I signed up/paid, anyone else in? Plenty of time in advance to plan..

SHOTGUN 1
Starting with a review of safety and the fundamentals of shooting, the course will
quickly progress into instruction on shotgun patterns using different ammunition,
use of cover, and other skills critical in the tactical environment. Student will
practice learned skills through challenging practical drills to improve the student's
ability to effectively engage threat under a variety of conditions. This will develop
the studentís ability to effectively employ the shotgun in a tactical environment
Prerequisites: None
Cost: $200.00
Topics:
 Safety 4 Firearms Safety Rules
 Fundamentals of Marksmanship Focusing on Front Sight & Trigger Control
 Patterning and Ammunition Types
 Slug sight-in
 Multiple shoots / multiple targets
 Tactical reload / Combat reload
 Transitions from Shotgun to pistol
 Malfunctions
 Shooting positions
 Shooting on the move
 Barricades/Use of Cover
Ammunition Requirements: 100 rounds of bird shot, 25 rounds of 00 buck, 20
rounds of slug, 100 rounds pistol ammo.
Gear: Shotgun, sling, ammunition holder, wraparound eye protection, ear
protection, Baseball Cap, weapons cleaning kit, clothing appropriate for climate

kac
April 13th, 2010, 08:27 AM
JT and I took this course not too long ago, and all I can say is that it was both informative and challenging. We joked that we felt like we shot the entire day left handed and loading one round at a time! Great stuff.

glock_forty5
April 13th, 2010, 08:40 AM
KAC is right. You will learn your shotty inside and out. Do yourself a favor, get a single point sling on your shotgun for this course, I did it with a two point traditional sling and it made a tough course even tougher. Also, run the course with a pumpgun. You could use a semi but you miss a great learning experience. Siaga 12s should not be considered as they are so unique they would require a class of their own.

Have fun,

JT

jmira
April 13th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I have a mossberg 500 with breacher barrel.. debating wether to do it with a stock or not..

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/MAX100/GCMOSSBC-2.jpg

thats not mine, but it is the same model.

kac
April 13th, 2010, 04:37 PM
My advice? Use a stock. It's like golf, you want to be able to reproduce the same movement the same way every time. Much tougher without a stock.

glock_forty5
April 13th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I have a mossberg 500 with breacher barrel.. debating wether to do it with a stock or not..

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/MAX100/GCMOSSBC-2.jpg

thats not mine, but it is the same model.

That looks too cool however I would use the stock!

You don't want to look like this guy when you shoot slugs -> :toothless

I shortened my Mossy 590 stock by and inch as the stock by following these instructions (http://forums.theboxotruth.com/showthread.php?2662-Cutting-the-Stock-of-a-Mossberg-590A1&p=25742) I am 5'11" tall and found the LOP to be too much for tactical shotgun application (it would be fine for busting clay birds). If your 500 stock feels too long the above link may still apply.

JT

jmira
April 23rd, 2010, 09:59 PM
bump!

anyone else coming?

vette97
May 11th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I'm thinking about joining. Got to see if there are slots available first...

Patrick
May 11th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Busy, otherwise I'd go.

vette97
May 12th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I emailed Tom to see if there were slots available but haven't heard back. Maybe he can confirm, here?

Tom Perroni
May 12th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Open Slots...You are good to go....and cleared HOT!

Tom

vette97
May 13th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Sweet! Will be calling this morning to pay in advance.

Les Gawlik
May 13th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I'm sure if you call Tom he will tell you there are a few slots left, but there are two fewer slots today than there were yesterday. I had the pleasure of taking this course with my younger son Will (Mini Marine) a few months ago. My older son, David, couldn't make it because he is stuck working on Saturdays. When this thread came up again and I saw it was on a Sunday, I jumped on it. Dave and I will be there!

After the first course, I bought some heavy, solid aluminum snap-caps. They are excellent for practicing the various reloading techniques Tom and his staff will show you. Will and I still do that from time to time.

We're really looking forward to it!

vette97
May 13th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Will be good to see you there, Les, and meet Dave. Had a nice time with you and Will on the Carbine course. I left my payment info on a phone message this morning with CCJA. Also, I ordered the California Competition Works shell carriers. I'll be using these in the Topton Zombie Shoot in June.

I picked up the same snap-caps 2 months ago and have been practicing reloads with my 1100 TAC2. Definitely worth the cost!

kac
May 13th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I'm sure if you call Tom he will tell you there are a few slots left, but there are two fewer slots today than there were yesterday. I had the pleasure of taking this course with my younger son Will (Mini Marine) a few months ago. My older son, David, couldn't make it because he is stuck working on Saturdays. When this thread came up again and I saw it was on a Sunday, I jumped on it. Dave and I will be there!

After the first course, I bought some heavy, solid aluminum snap-caps. They are excellent for practicing the various reloading techniques Tom and his staff will show you. Will and I still do that from time to time.

We're really looking forward to it!

Yeah, but do you have the armor piercing slugs?

Les Gawlik
May 13th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I may be called upon (again) to demonstrate the awesome destructive power of slugs when applied to Tom's brand-new, never-shot-at pistol plate rack (when of course I was supposed to be aiming at the hardened steel plate several feet away). I think I will be up to it- I have been practicing missing targets by 1 or 2 hoa (hours of arc), and if I must say, I'm getting very good at it.

kac
May 13th, 2010, 08:31 PM
1 or 2 hoa (hours of arc)

Hilarious!

Les Gawlik
May 13th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Hilarious!

...it would be if it weren't serious...

vette97
May 22nd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Looking forward to training tomorrow! This week I've installed a receiver plate on my Rem1100 to carry it single-point, got my 12ga shotshell strippers on my belt and have been practicing reloading with snap caps. I suck. Regarding everything I shoot, I'm weakest in shotgun so I will be way outside my experience curve.

jmira
May 22nd, 2010, 01:35 PM
I am not 100% gear wise for tomorrow.. I have no belt shell holder.. but I do have a bandolier.. we will see how it does.

I also noticed that my single point sling hangs the M500 a little too low.. its 4" from dragging on the ground.. will have to figure something out. no front sling attachment point on my breacher model...

vette97
May 23rd, 2010, 08:00 PM
It was an awesome day with great instructors and a chance to shoot with fellow MDShooters members! Good to meet you jmira and nice shooting with Les and his boys.

Just got home and my butt is dragging. We were really moving today and I'm tired and sore. I can't believe I looked this refreshed earlier in the day, ha!

jmira
May 23rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
nice meeting everyone also..

I was good until I got home and showered.. now I am dragging ass.. God Bless Dominos pizza right now.

I was supposed to hop on my bike and ride to NYC tonight for a work trip, then ride back down with my buddies on Friday for Rolling Thunder.. looks like part 1 is not going to happen tonight.... =)

glock_forty5
May 23rd, 2010, 09:19 PM
The Shotgun Course is a true ass kicker! Carbine and hangun are tough but not like shotgun.

Good job guys, looking forward to the AARs.

DrRichard
June 9th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I have both a Mossberg 590 and a Saiga 12 (Eotech 512 sight; tromix shark brake; M4 carbine style stock with a magpul single point sling; one 20 rd drum, and a bunch of 12 round magazines). Once you get a Saiga, the pump shotgun becomes obsolete and a spare for backup. I'm taking the Shotgun 1 class July 3d and will use my Saiga.

Reload drills are different - it is more like a M4 carbine or an AK.

Richard

glock_forty5
June 10th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I have both a Mossberg 590 and a Saiga 12 (Eotech 512 sight; tromix shark brake; M4 carbine style stock with a magpul single point sling; one 20 rd drum, and a bunch of 12 round magazines). Once you get a Saiga, the pump shotgun becomes obsolete and a spare for backup. I'm taking the Shotgun 1 class July 3d and will use my Saiga.

Reload drills are different - it is more like a M4 carbine or an AK.

Richard

I am very familar with the Saiga. However, the course material is designed around a tube feed shotgun. A lot of the drills will not work with a Saiga. If it was me, I would bring both shotguns so you could practice the tube fed drills and then use the Saiga to unleash a lead storm on the steel. ;)

hvymax
June 10th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I am not 100% gear wise for tomorrow.. I have no belt shell holder.. but I do have a bandolier.. we will see how it does.

I also noticed that my single point sling hangs the M500 a little too low.. its 4" from dragging on the ground.. will have to figure something out. no front sling attachment point on my breacher model...

Should be a 10-32 hole on the bottom of the barrel attatchment lug. I drilled and tapped my own on the L side of mine for better multipoint sling use. You might want to look at some of the folding/collapsible stocks. I have Knoxx on mine but am thinking about switching to ATI collapsible folder.