PDA

View Full Version : The importance of teaching proper search technique...

Tom Perroni
March 11th, 2010, 10:22 PM
MD Shooters,

Thought I'd post these pics here. These are pics from a real incident in Karlstad, Sweden.

A convenience store was robbed by a gun-toting Caucasian male in his 30's. The police arrive and start searching the area. After a while the officers find a man matching the description sleeping outside an apartment building less than 200 yards from the scene of the crime. The officers wake the man and ask him some questions after doing a quick pat-down, after which they bring him back to the store where they ask him additional questions for about 20 minutes before they decide to take the man with them for further questioning, whereupon they do another body search before they are going to load him into their unit.

Here are the pics.

Tom Perroni
March 11th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Second Pic.....

Tom Perroni
March 11th, 2010, 10:26 PM
The third (and also the big "OH [censored]" moment):

travistheone
March 11th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Oh shit is right. Where was it?

Tom Perroni
March 11th, 2010, 10:27 PM
The response:

Tom Perroni
March 11th, 2010, 10:28 PM
But alas, it is an airsoft, so the final result is:

Tom Perroni
March 11th, 2010, 10:29 PM
The airsoft was tucked into the front of the man's pants, below the belt, thus not immediately visible, but surely easily detected by someone who's not too modest to perform a proper search.

FrankOceanXray
March 11th, 2010, 10:31 PM
A handful of balls and butt is a sign of a good search. Get in there.

travistheone
March 11th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Glad everyone was safe. Good photog skills too!

tss1004
March 11th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Damn.

travistheone
March 11th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Why would you draw an airsoft on anyone who is armed. Good way to get shot.

fivepointstar
March 11th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Good Post!!

We teach to cuff-n-search and not the other way. so if he goes froggy he gets a cement sandwich. good post!

august1410
March 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Good Post!!

We teach to cuff-n-search and not the other way. so if he goes froggy he gets a cement sandwich. good post!

Excellent phrasing! Love it! :thumbsup:

fivepointstar
March 11th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Excellent phrasing! Love it! :thumbsup:

you like that huh :D

I didn't want to sound brutal but if you see the pics sh*t goes south in a blink of an eye. one of the officers is fixing his radio when the gun goes out.

august1410
March 11th, 2010, 11:33 PM
you like that huh :D

I didn't want to sound brutal but if you see the pics sh*t goes south in a blink of an eye. one of the officers is fixing his radio when the gun goes out.

I see that now.....tragic how I didn't see it the first time. I'm not as observant as I would like to think.

StrikeFace
March 11th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Absolutely scary. Reminds me of the briefings we received before deployments:

"Gentleman, the crotch you don't search has the hand grenade that will kill you."

august1410
March 11th, 2010, 11:35 PM

"Gentleman, the crotch you don't search has the hand grenade that will kill you."

Too many people are squeamish......if it's a matter of life or death, I'm searching everywhere.

fivepointstar
March 12th, 2010, 12:00 AM

Squeeze the sausage....if its soft it won't hurt you :D

StrikeFace
March 12th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Squeeze the sausage....if its soft it won't hurt you :D

They don't call 'em "Private First Class" for nothing...

"Get in there, PFC... find that grenade!"

august1410
March 12th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I remember working in the pawn shop years ago, and we used to buy leather jackets....the people at the pawn counter used to think it was funny that I used a long screwdriver to search the pockets.

Until I found a syringe....uncapped.

Scottysan
March 12th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Good Post!!

Well put, fivepoint. And thanks for the great graphic reminder Tom!

Splitter
March 12th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I was running a booth at a law enforcement show (MAGLOCLEN) once in Ocean City. When I looked over to another booth, it was mobbed. What was the guy selling? CROTCH HOLSTERS. Seemed like every cop there wanted one. Of course, a lot of the cops there worked undercover.

The thought was that even under cover, the bad guys were least likely to search your crotch.

I will give it to the guy running the booth, his demos were what sold the holsters. He could inhale a bit and have the gun out in a flash. Not sure it would be my preferred method of carry though, a bit scary. The guy made a mint at the show.

Splitter

StrikeFace
March 12th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Wasn't one of those groin holsters called "Thunderwear" or something equally gimmicky?

Splitter
March 12th, 2010, 02:26 AM
I think so....Thunderwear was like a jock strap as I recall. The holsters this guy was selling were just molded leather "pouches".

None of those would seem to work for the horizontally challenged (trust me)

StrikeFace
March 14th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I dunno, I'm stacked like your average Somali, so I figure I'd have a hard time hiding anything beyond a J-frame in my crotch while wearing dress pants without it looking like a tumor. The lack of extra "padding" would make it obvious. My options would be to wear baggy gangsta jeans, BDUs, or sweatpants. Not exactly my favorite attire for a night out on the town.

On the other hand, I can imagine that larger gentlemen would be able to conceal it only to have issues with drawing it due to said "padding" getting in the way of the draw. Extra insulation tends to accumulate right above the groin line on most guys, compounding issues with digging the piece out via down the waistband.

I've never used a groin holster but I can see how it's like any other specialized holster... very situation specific. That and I really don't want my baby Glock to smell like... ya know... sweaty balls. If I was a LEO, I might wear one with a hideout gun in it... it's a lot more secure than an ankle holster.

Splitter
March 14th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I dunno, I'm stacked like your average Somali, so I figure I'd have a hard time hiding anything beyond a J-frame in my crotch while wearing dress pants without it looking like a tumor. The lack of extra "padding" would make it obvious. My options would be to wear baggy gangsta jeans, BDUs, or sweatpants. Not exactly my favorite attire for a night out on the town.

On the other hand, I can imagine that larger gentlemen would be able to conceal it only to have issues with drawing it due to said "padding" getting in the way of the draw. Extra insulation tends to accumulate right above the groin line on most guys, compounding issues with digging the piece out via down the waistband.

I've never used a groin holster but I can see how it's like any other specialized holster... very situation specific. That and I really don't want my baby Glock to smell like... ya know... sweaty balls. If I was a LEO, I might wear one with a hideout gun in it... it's a lot more secure than an ankle holster.

Actually, the skinny guys had an easier time of it when drawing.

I tried it jut for grins.....no go. Too fat. Hell, most conceal options are hard for fat guys. Shirts don't "hang" right without printing.

Yet another reason I need to lose weight :)

2SAM22
March 14th, 2010, 03:03 PM
The good news is it looks like they didn't get injured and they will be the best searches in the agency from that point forward.