PDA

View Full Version : The DANGER of a Handcuffed Suspect

Tom Perroni
February 6th, 2010, 12:57 PM
MD Shooters,

This Wednesday I was teaching (8) hours of DCJS Arrest Authority which includes (MDTS) Monadnock Defensive Tactics & Handcuffing. I had several experienced officers in the room.

So I decided to discuss The DANGER of a Handcuffed Suspect. The officers in the room all said I have never been assaulted by someone in Handcuffs.....

So we watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJPaDTHRvfw

Then I put on my REDMAN gear and we did weapons retention drills (P.S.) I was handcuffed behind my back.

It was a looooong 2 min for some. ;)

Tom

joppaj
February 6th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Were you cuffed front or back? I understand and agree with your assertation that the fight isn't over, but I do feel more comfortable with a back cuffed and searched suspect.

Tom Perroni
February 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Were you cuffed front or back? I understand and agree with your assertation that the fight isn't over, but I do feel more comfortable with a back cuffed and searched suspect.

This was in my original post: (P.S.) I was handcuffed behind my back.

Always cuff behind the back!

From 8 to 80, blind, crippled or crazy they all get cuffed behind the back then searched.

joppaj
February 6th, 2010, 01:24 PM
This was in my original post: (P.S.) I was handcuffed behind my back.

Sorry, surfing the internet while discussing cartoons with a toddler makes me more of a skimmer than a reader. Here's a handcuffing question for you... Had to arrest a demonstrator a few years ago. The individual only had one hand and dept policy prohibits cuffing to an object. Thoughts?

fivepointstar
February 6th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Sorry, surfing the internet while discussing cartoons with a toddler makes me more of a skimmer than a reader. Here's a handcuffing question for you... Had to arrest a demonstrator a few years ago. The individual only had one hand and daept policy prohibits cuffing to an object. Thoughts?

cuff the one hand to a belt loop or belt

joppaj
cuff the one hand to a belt loop or belt

No joke, he was wearing sweatpants.

fivepointstar
Great job Tom...good videos. never let your guard down.

kohburn
February 6th, 2010, 01:31 PM
why not cuff their right arm to their left leg? or visa versa

fivepointstar
February 6th, 2010, 01:32 PM
No joke, he was wearing sweatpants.

you'll have to use a belly chain then...its a great investment!

Tom Perroni
February 6th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Sorry, surfing the internet while discussing cartoons with a toddler makes me more of a skimmer than a reader. Here's a handcuffing question for you... Had to arrest a demonstrator a few years ago. The individual only had one hand and dept policy prohibits cuffing to an object. Thoughts?

Answer for me is I would carry leg irons and belly chains at all times I would put the belly chain on making sure it would stay around the waist and then cuff to the belly chain. We also had cuff belts that we used for high risk transports. I would use either. If I did not have either I would cuff the subject to the BACK of his or her own belt.

Question for you was that a Dept. SOP or GO General Order?

Sometimes it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Many Senior officers who make SOP’s or GO’s have not been on the street for a long time. Although I was in a small dept as the LT. Patrol Commander I worked the street. I would never ask one of my officers to do something I was not willing to do myself.

fivepointstar
February 6th, 2010, 01:45 PM
The individual only had one hand and dept policy prohibits cuffing to an object. Thoughts?

My opinion:
Dept Policy is a set of guidelines of what is accepted/expected and prohibited under normal circumstances. The law allows for exigent circumstances and I believe policy does too as long as its prudent and reasonable. Anything outside of that is malicious IMO

glock_forty5
February 6th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I have seen video of someone in handcuffs slipping their hands under their bottom and slide their legs through to get their hands in front.

FrankOceanXray
February 6th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I always carry my HOBBLE strap. Pin arm to the torso rather snuggly. Belt loops can rip off.

Always always cuff to the rear. Double lock. Even then, I don't trust some folks as far as I can throw em. Respectful with a plan I keep.

Lostfantum
February 7th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I have seen video of someone in handcuffs slipping their hands under their bottom and slide their legs through to get their hands in front.

Ask my wife (cilvillian police employee) about it she was held hostage by a suspect who did that.

KMA
February 7th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Two weeks ago I assisted local LE Officers with an arrest I the establishment where I work. The perp resisted to the point that it took 4 of us to cuff him so we didn't kill him. Once we got him to his feet he decided to head butt one of the officers. He was cuffed behind but that didn't stop him from swinging his head back and striking the officer. That was a really bad decision on his behalf he was charged but you could say justice was already served.

Inigoes
February 7th, 2010, 07:29 PM
you'll have to use a belly chain then...its a great investment!

:innocent0

:needpics:

Tom Perroni
February 7th, 2010, 08:00 PM
:innocent0

:needpics:

Take your pick

#1 is what I kept in my patrol car for prisoner transport :cool:

#2 was for my wife...:innocent0

oldsarge
February 8th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Our department policy is to always use waist chains and leg irons. If we feel that the prisioner is a real threat, we have a set of four point transport chains available. These are a little harder to put on an uncooperative subject, but really limit movement.

FrankOceanXray
February 9th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Handcuffs are only a temporary restraint device. Add on a HOBBLE and even then upgrade that to the WRAP if need.

WSM
February 9th, 2010, 01:11 PM
are these still legal...heard it was an amazing device especially for female officers