PDA

View Full Version : "CAUSE OF Police Officer DEATH FLAWED TRAINING"‏

Tom Perroni
February 2nd, 2010, 06:13 PM
"CAUSE OF Police Officer DEATH FLAWED TRAINING"‏

MD Shooters,

I had a very hard time watching this. I share this with you in the hopes it will save someone’s life! If you have trained with me you know I follow a mantra: Train the way you would fight …fight the way you have trained. I know some people dismiss my “Combat Mindset’ lectures as well as my description from own experiences as to the physiological and psychological affects of a gunfight. I often get funny looks when we are on the range and you have a malfunction or a brain fart and I scream…”Don’t you give up on me! Stay in the fight! This video will drive that point home and then some.

Are you a Sheep ….or a Sheepdog because this video proves that the wolves are out there.

I teach officers Police & Security : Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

The comments below belong to retired NJ State Police Troop Commander and Brigadier General (Ret.) Kenny Wondrack:

If you are or were a police officer, this is very hard to watch. It is an example of today's new PC officer, trained to just kiss ass, even when faced with death, for fear of lawsuits or reprimand. Notice this cop's last word was "sir". Can you believe that? Sir?? Talking to that piece of shit under these circumstances? Probably doing what he was trained to do in an academy whose curriculum was formulated by a bunch of neo modern assholes who never worked the streets to see what the real world is really like. To never draw your gun, just show them respect and they will comply, but don’t hurt 'em cuz we don’t want any lawsuits...sure they will. Of course, it is easy for us old timers to say that the cop should have taken charge right off the bat at the first escalation with a good smack upside the head with a baton or slapper, followed by cuffs and the first sign of a weapon in this scumbag's hand would have been his last act. If he would have done that, instead of worrying about being sued or reprimanded later, he'd still be alive. Tragic and sad. The blame goes to whoever trained him.

Here is the video:

http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-sight.com/2010/01/18/ignatius-piazza-stop-screaming-start-shooting/#video

Tactical Patriot
February 2nd, 2010, 06:26 PM
Wow that video is f*cked up... What a shame... Videos like this are an eye opener. I hope the dude rots in hell..

Havredegraceshooter
February 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
Wow, that is tough to watch.

joppaj
February 2nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Dear God. I was afraid it was this one. We were shown that in the academy. I have heard that deputy's dying screams in my nightmares for a decade when one of my brothers or sisters anywhere is killed. I remember being in the classroom, watching this unfold, horrified, yelling at the screen "Shoot the f*cker!" with my classmates. As I recall the shooter was an infantryman from the Vietnam era with experience in advancing fire techniques.

Mickey the Dragon
February 2nd, 2010, 06:37 PM
I couldn't watch the whole thing. Holy s***.

glock_forty5
February 2nd, 2010, 06:42 PM
That was rough. It was as if the officer could not believe it was happening as a result of a traffic stop. Surreal. God rest his soul.

I hope that scum bag got his two fold.

Tom Perroni - "Get off the X!"

drking2
February 2nd, 2010, 06:53 PM
Damn....Just Damn

woodstock
February 2nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
yep, better training. sad.

Boondock Saint
February 2nd, 2010, 07:06 PM
Very hard to watch. All over a lousy traffic stop.

Diesel Kinevel
February 2nd, 2010, 07:16 PM
As I recall the shooter was an infantryman from the Vietnam era with experience in advancing fire techniques.

yeah, I figured it was this one too. I have seen it numerous times and it is very hard to watch. And yes he is/was a Vietnam Vet. Also as a side note the time spent at his cab he was ASSEMBLING his rifle that was in a case behind the seat.

-Z

ForwardAssist
February 2nd, 2010, 07:31 PM
Wow man....... That is grim. It's hard to watch and listen to what happens as you realize it's another human being.

It's clear that the officer's own compassion prevented him from neutralizing the threat in time and it cost him his life. It's a lesson for us all to learn, just how precarious the line we walk really is. The moral dilemma between wanting to preserve another human life and saving your own is something we all need to think about before making the decision to carry. Being mentally prepared is as vitally important as being physically trained.

I don't envy the position that officer was placed in. Something I'll think about every time I holster my sidearm.

My respects and condolences to his family, friends, and coworkers. And respect to the men and women who walk that line everday.

Markp
February 2nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
yep, better training. sad.

+1, The officer made serious mistakes and paid for them. Don't be that guy, please. It would have been better to deescalate than engage in a gun fight you aren't capable of winning. I feel for the officer and his family.

Mark

travistheone
February 2nd, 2010, 08:03 PM
Lack of class for FS to use that as advertising.

Splitter
February 2nd, 2010, 08:06 PM
If anyone is going to pull their gun, they need to be willing to pull the trigger to end the threat. He waited and waited from what I could tell. Terrible to watch but a great lesson.

Splitter

ForwardAssist
February 2nd, 2010, 08:06 PM
Thought the same Trav.

Tactical Patriot
February 2nd, 2010, 08:13 PM

Yeah true..

February 2nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
the guy that shot the cop looks out of his mind. He seemed drunk when he got pulled over or something like that. Usually people don't act like that.

sigrug17
February 2nd, 2010, 08:49 PM
That was very sad, this was a police officer and he didn't go thru any 'unlock codes'.... A.O.J. (ability, opportunity, and jeopardy) were all there and past way beyond at each level. I don't know where this officer's training was, I don't know where his mind was except maybe 'not' being sued???? All these training flaws will kill good servicemen and especially sheepdogs too! The fear of being prosecuted in the aftermath by idiot legislation and laws puts all of us in danger! That's the saddest thing.

jaywade
February 2nd, 2010, 08:53 PM

honnestly I don't think that's fair

he trains these people, stories like this helps training....you know what I'll never look at a traffic stop the same

Iam curious did they get that guy ?

Yoboney
February 2nd, 2010, 09:00 PM
That was sad. I wonder what happened to the lunatic? This video is also helpful. Rifles are superior to handguns in most shootouts.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/158562/cops_vs_ak_47/

downforthecause
February 2nd, 2010, 09:06 PM
the guy that shot the cop looks out of his mind. He seemed drunk when he got pulled over or something like that. Usually people don't act like that.

That was probably the dilemma that the officer was trying to weigh...I mean my own logic tells me that had I been in the officer's shoes, I would have shot first. ..however being faced with the choice and knowing I'm about to wreck somebody-another human like me, especially an inebriated individual, it would be grueling to act on. I pity the good people, who have to stop the bad... Disgusting, sad video.

Tom Perroni
February 2nd, 2010, 09:06 PM
That was very sad, this was a police officer and he didn't go thru any 'unlock codes'.... A.O.J. (ability, opportunity, and jeopardy) were all there and past way beyond at each level. I don't know where this officer's training was, I don't know where his mind was except maybe 'not' being sued???? All these training flaws will kill good servicemen and especially sheepdogs too! The fear of being prosecuted in the aftermath by idiot legislation and laws puts all of us in danger! That's the saddest thing.

It was a wise man (My father) who taught me to remember that it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

MINDSET, MINDSET, MINDSET! We must be prepared to PREVAIL not simply survive in any confrontation.

If any person has a weapon in their hand …and they are in proximity to use it and I am in fear of my life because I know what can happen…then there is only one thing to do…Prevail.

If I carry a firearm then I must be prepared to use it. If there is any doubt then do not carry it. Because anytime there is a weapon involved in any dispute or fight it is now a deadly force situation because at least one person is armed.

3 sayings each with 3 parts that will keep you alive.

1. Speed, Surprise and violence of action

2. Shoot, Move, Communicate

3. Shoot to stop the threat, don’t stop until the threat has stopped, and pound them into the ground with bullets.

Rant over Tom

marko
February 2nd, 2010, 09:13 PM
I have learned in fighting people hand to hand to "bull rush" and destroy.
It has not failed yet. I agree in aggressive defense; hiding = room temperature 4 sure.

marko
February 2nd, 2010, 09:17 PM
By my hand has suspended quite a few fights in my time...I highly recommend it!

sigrug17
February 2nd, 2010, 09:24 PM
It was a wise man (My father) who taught me to remember that it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

MINDSET, MINDSET, MINDSET! We must be prepared to PREVAIL not simply survive in any confrontation.

If any person has a weapon in their hand …and they are in proximity to use it and I am in fear of my life because I know what can happen…then there is only one thing to do…Prevail.

If I carry a firearm then I must be prepared to use it. If there is any doubt then do not carry it. Because anytime there is a weapon involved in any dispute or fight it is now a deadly force situation because at least one person is armed.

3 saying each with 3 parts that will keep you alive.

2. Shoot, Move, Communicate

3. Shoot to stop the threat, don’t stop until the threat has stopped, and pound them into the ground with bullets.

Rant over Tom

No, go man go, RANT ON RANT ON, and maybe you'll be able to prevent more indecision, and poor training in the future! :party29::party29::thumbsup::mad54:

Oldcarjunkie
February 2nd, 2010, 09:59 PM
Thats Horrible, I hope they got the guy.

Diesel Kinevel
February 2nd, 2010, 10:06 PM
Iam curious did they get that guy ?

If I recall correctly he was apprehended on his property hiding under a plastic tarp the following morning.

-Z

travistheone
February 2nd, 2010, 10:38 PM
He has been sentenced to death in GA. He is 60 something years old.

Ignatious Piazza, the owner of front site. If you type his name in google, the first suggestion that comes up is "Ignatious Piazza fraud"

Tactical Patriot
February 2nd, 2010, 10:51 PM
If you type his name in google, the first suggestion that comes up is "Ignatious Piazza fraud"

:lol:

February 2nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
I don't know about the training areas, but Tom Gresham aka. GUN TALK is someone I trust. When people ask about it, he always talks people to Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch or somewhere else.

Front Sight has a bad rap in the professional shooting community.

Thunder Ranch and Shootrite appear to be a lot better.

august1410
February 2nd, 2010, 11:48 PM
As a gun owner, I have come to grips with the fact that I may be involved in a situation where I will have to shoot another person.

I would like to think that it will never happen, but, in my opinion, bringing a firearm into my home for self defense was the first step in accepting that it could happen.

By nature, I am a non-violent man. Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna come up to you and put a long stemmed flower in the barrel of your gun. I love guns and all that come with collecting them. I would prefer that things be solved with means other than violence.

That said, and after watching the video, I have to say that the moment I have any doubts about the situation working out in a non-violent manner, I will act.

fivepointstar
February 2nd, 2010, 11:53 PM
Good Training Tom!!!

He would have been Tazer when he charged at me!! He didn't have a weapon but I'm not gonna fight with this azzhole.

People wonder why cops are azzholes sometimes....this guy was too nice and got him killed.

I"m a DTac instructor, his mistake was he let him go back to the car, our vantage point you can see him manipulating something out from the front seat or back of his seat.

TASER TASER TASER

august1410
February 2nd, 2010, 11:58 PM
Good Training Tom!!!

He would have been Tazer when he charged at me!! He didn't have a weapon but I'm not gonna fight with this azzhole.

People wonder why cops are azzholes sometimes....this guy was too nice and got him killed.

I"m a DTac instructor, his mistake was he let him go back to the car, our vantage point you can see him manipulating something out from the front seat or back of his seat.

TASER TASER TASER

FPS- The time stamp on the video gives a date of 1998. When did tazers become standard equipment as they are now. I know they were around, but were they commonplace as they are now?

fivepointstar
February 3rd, 2010, 12:05 AM
FPS- The time stamp on the video gives a date of 1998. When did tazers become standard equipment as they are now. I know they were around, but were they commonplace as they are now?

I don't remember when they were standard issue for a majority of police agencies?? its fairly recent....I'd say @ 2003 or so. He could have went to his pepper spray or impact weapon.....once that guy charged at him, no more Mr. Nice Guy.

august1410
February 3rd, 2010, 12:14 AM
I don't remember when they were standard issue for a majority of police agencies?? its fairly recent....I'd say @ 2003 or so. He could have went to his pepper spray or impact weapon.....once that guy charged at him, no more Mr. Nice Guy.

I agree. Even as a private citizen, I would have taken steps to defend myself.

In my opinion, a possible threat is already a threat.

aquaman
February 3rd, 2010, 12:14 AM
Good Training Tom!!!

TASER TASER TASER

FPS,

If the Officer did not have a tazer would it have been justified to shoot the man while he was assembling/retrieving the firearm from the truck?

august1410
February 3rd, 2010, 12:17 AM
FPS,

If the Officer did not have a tazer would it have been justified to shoot the man while he was assembling/retrieving the firearm from the truck?

I had the same thought....we are told "don't shoot a man in the back", but if I see that he is getting a weapon, I am shooting him where I can hit him.

fivepointstar
February 3rd, 2010, 12:18 AM
FPS,

You saw the outcome....what do you think?

If you were the officer, what would have your actions be? I know what I would do and I know what I would teach my students to do.

At what point does deadly force become justified in this video?

Once I saw him go back to the truck I knew it was going to go South from there. one of 2 things was going to happen, vehicle pursuit or weapon. Officer should have know that.

aquaman
February 3rd, 2010, 12:30 AM
You saw the outcome....what do you think?

If you were the officer, what would have your actions be? I know what I would do and I know what I would teach my students to do.

At what point does deadly force become justified in this video?

Once I saw him go back to the truck I knew it was going to go South from there. one of 2 things was going to happen, vehicle pursuit or weapon. Officer should have know that.

What do I think? Well I know the outcome already and was curious as to whether or not someone had to actually point the firearm at you or not before you can shoot. I ask because the commentary by the retired NJ trooper seemed to imply it is taught not to shoot unless shot at. It it were me I would have shot him when he charged me. Would that have been wrong?

fivepointstar
February 3rd, 2010, 12:42 AM
What do I think? Well I know the outcome already and was curious as to whether or not someone had to actually point the firearm at you or not before you can shoot. I ask because the commentary by the retired NJ trooper seemed to imply it is taught not to shoot unless shot at. It it were me I would have shot him when he charged me. Would that have been wrong?

You sound like a police recruit :D

Welcome to police work!!! In most careers, the decisions that are made are Black and White Yes and NO. Police work is not and people know don't know how to respond to that are overly critical or can't function like that.

Theres no right or wrong answer from me because you don't have to justify it to me (FPS). The people you need to convince that you are justified is you, your family, your agency, the State's Attorneys Office, the judge, and the civil jury when you get sued. You'll have a great amount of outside support.

ps...you should do a ride along someday. not with me, my job is boring

aquaman
February 3rd, 2010, 01:10 AM
You sound like a police recruit :D

Welcome to police work!!! In most careers, the decisions that are made are Black and White Yes and NO. Police work is not and people know don't know how to respond to that are overly critical or can't function like that.

Theres no right or wrong answer from me because you don't have to justify it to me (FPS). The people you need to convince that you are justified is you, your family, your agency, the State's Attorneys Office, the judge, and the civil jury when you get sued. You'll have a great amount of outside support.

ps...you should do a ride along someday. not with me, my job is boring

I just graduated college and have always been interested.

Boondock Saint
February 3rd, 2010, 07:08 AM
What do I think? Well I know the outcome already and was curious as to whether or not someone had to actually point the firearm at you or not before you can shoot. I ask because the commentary by the retired NJ trooper seemed to imply it is taught not to shoot unless shot at. If it were me I would have shot him when he charged me. Would that have been wrong?

Absolutely. Without a tazer, in the presence of a guy who already looks under the influence of something, rushing at me...he's got to go down.

joppaj
February 3rd, 2010, 07:26 AM
When we were shown this video in the Academy, they followed it with another one that was I believe a CHP stop. Similar start up, young officer, mentally disturbed driver. Difference was that the officer here called for back-up before getting out of his cruiser (it was available which is a huge factor) and when the loony charged at him screaming, he emptyed half a can of Sabre Red into him than wrestled him to the ground as his back-up arrived. Guy had an AK on the front passenger's seat and was heading to kill his wife when he was stopped. That officer was aggresive enough, quickly enough and lived because of it. I despise being critical of a fallen officer, but if an honest critique of his last actions save the lives of a fututre generation, than his death was not in vain.

tss1004
February 3rd, 2010, 08:13 AM
That is such a tough video to watch no matter how many times you've seen it.

jaywade
February 3rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
the video is just terrible to watch, the officer doesn't have much in his voice, when the guy charged him I agree that a take down should of happened right there...however the officer seemed unsure maybe even scarred ....it's very tragic that it was at the expense of his life....I hope that bastard got what was comming to him

boothdoc
February 3rd, 2010, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE=Tom Perroni;528212]"CAUSE OF Police Officer DEATH FLAWED TRAINING"‏

MD Shooters,

Are you a Sheep ….or a Sheepdog because this video proves that the wolves are out there.

QUOTE]

This is what is comes down to. Your decision as to which you want to be but the consequences are real.

EVOIXGSR
February 3rd, 2010, 09:05 AM
Can someone sum up the vid, cant see here at work

Half-cocked
February 3rd, 2010, 09:28 AM
I woke up at 3:18am this morning, having a nightmare about this vid. I hope they caught up with the ****ing psychopath and made him die in the most horrific and painful way imaginable.

Diesel Kinevel
February 3rd, 2010, 09:28 AM
Can someone sum up the vid, cant see here at work

Deputy in the south, stops a car. Man gets out of his vehicle acting very irrational. Goes back to his vehicle assembles a M1 Carbine and kills the deputy. The whole time the deputy is saying sir sir sir. The POS executes the deputy just off screen.

As for shooting the man while he is assembling his rifle. Yes it would have been justified because him assembling it shows intent. You would have been fine.

-Z

august1410
February 3rd, 2010, 09:35 AM
I just watched the video again.....not out of some perverse reason, but to see how many times this guy should have been put down, whether tazered or shot or whatever.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but I have to agree with the above comment that he would have been dropped (lethally or non lethally) the moment he charged me.

tdt91
February 3rd, 2010, 09:43 AM
if not when charged then def when he saw the rifle butt. I heard the officer yell for him to put the rifle down and when he didn't it should have been lights out with a charge and shooting at the perp. I'm not a cop or have not been trained ( other than Basic in 83:D) but that is what I would do.
It is very easy for us to talk about it having not been in the situation though. It seems to me that the officer was scared to engage the threat for some reason. It would be interesting to know if he or another officer was/had been sued in the past/present.

May he rest in peace.

tss1004
February 3rd, 2010, 09:51 AM
The deputy was shot to pieces. The saying "shoot the pieces to pieces" sum up what the killer did. He shot all of the deputies exposed anatomy, arms, legs, etc. When he walked up for the final fatal blow, it was to the officers eye. Tragic. Horrible. The killer was found guilty and sentenced to death. BTW the killer WAS wounded in the abdomen. I wish they would have let him run a bit longer so he didn't get the prompt medical attention that saved his life. The resulting infection would have been a slow merciless death. Exactly what he deserves.

13mogul
February 3rd, 2010, 10:25 AM
Tough video to watch. Our sons a cop, and his training practices the fire+advance as opposed to retreat. He says alot of departments teach the fire+retreat still, which makes NO SENSE to me. This officer should have been advancing on the threat as soon as he saw the butt of the rifle. Tragic.

Kchen986
February 3rd, 2010, 11:54 AM
Watched the video last night and still thinking about it. Poor guy. Hopefully a decade later, training has improved in most LE departments.

RobMoore
February 3rd, 2010, 12:14 PM
I have heard that deputy's dying screams in my nightmares

I know what you mean.

I didn't want to watch this video, thinking it was a new one, BECAUSE of how awful this one was to watch the first time when I was in training, and then again in FI training.

Tom Perroni
February 3rd, 2010, 07:58 PM
MD Shooters-

More Info....RIP Kyle

Deputy Kyle Wayne Dinkheller
Laurens County Sheriff's Office Georgia
End of Watch: Monday, January 12, 1998

Biographical Info
Tour of Duty: 4 years
Badge Number: 37

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Date of Incident: Monday, January 12, 1998
Weapon Used: Rifle; .30 caliber
Suspect Info: Sentenced to death

Deputy Kyle Dinkheller was shot and killed after pulling over a man on a rural road about 6 miles north of Dublin, Georgia. During the traffic stop he called in for backup. Before the backup arrived he was shot by the man with a rifle. He was able to return fire, striking the suspect in the stomach. The suspect was found during a search the next morning and taken into custody.

The entire incident was videotaped by a camera in Deputy Dinkheller's patrol car. On January 28, 2000, the suspect was found guilty of murder and was sentenced to death two days later.

Deputy Dinkheller is survived by his expectant wife and 22-month-old daughter. Deputy Dinkheller's son was born in early September 1998.

Todd v.
February 3rd, 2010, 08:42 PM
In my limited training and some decent reading it seems to me that this tragedy stresses the importance of understanding the OODA loop. As an officer he should have been trained to be in control of the situation. He was obviously caught off guard by the mans crazy actions, it seemed to me to be a calculated act. He was a few steps head and as FPS said there were two outcomes once he went back to the truck, chase or gun, he didn't get in the truck. The officer was simply behind in the OODA loop. It feels wrong to criticize but I guess it's necessary to learn from others mistakes when presented with them. Rest his soul.

boothdoc
February 3rd, 2010, 09:11 PM
From viewing this video it almost seems that once this murderer saw the "fear in th eyes" of the policeman his behavior snow balled. This is not to say anything negative about the officer(RIP).

K-Romulus
February 4th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Interesting question:

I've often heard the CCW training phrase "distance is your friend" in the context of getting space between you and an assailant, including armed assailants, with the idea that you will be harder to shoot if further away than up close. But the idea assumes that YOU can get hits at distance under stress.

Looking at the video, the assailant had a rifle. I think that distance would put the pistol at a disadvantage?

Some folks here talked about advancing during the attack/counterattack. That would run counter to the "distance is your friend" approach, but maybe could have helped Officer Dinkheller take control of the situation by helping him get shots on board where they needed to go. Or even a gun grab against the rifle as it got taken out of the cab.

Coming out of the military (even as a chairborne ranger), the aggressive advance is the default for me, and the "distance is your friend" approach was/is something that I struggled to internalize. Maybe either approach - advance or "get distance" - depends on your situation? For this incident we are discussing in the thread, I can see how the aggressive advance could be used, especially early on. But I've heard of LE academy training where in role-playing the same situation as the video the cadet was encouraged to haul-@ss/run away from the guy with the rifle (that is what I was told).

As an aside, I noted the deputy's demeanor during the incident. He seemed like the often-encountered nice polite southern guy, esp. with the "Sir" mannerism. I fear that polite/easygoing paradigm may have been a detriment to his reaction to the unfolding situation.

When my brother got hired by his department (c. 2000), I followed his recruitment process closely out of obvious personal interest. One thing that stuck out was how the psych test phase seemed to weed out the more easygoing personalities, leaving in the pipeline the Type-A alphas (like my brother :rolleyes: ). My brother talked about his good friend who got stopped at the the psych test; my brother thought his friend would have been better as a federal agent (LOL) rather than local LE.

I wonder if Officer Dinkheller's death helped lead to this type of personality assessment in the LE recruitment process? Anyone have experience or knowledge on this point?

FrankOceanXray
February 4th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Sometimes nothing can be said and only action will do.

fivepointstar
February 4th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I see nothing wrong with retreating....one of hte options that the deputy had when the suspect got back to his car was getting back in his cruiser and backing out of that situation. This would gain time and distance and give him time to think and time for back up to arrive.

Tactical retreat would have been a good move or even to run to hide behind the trees and use as cover.

august1410
February 4th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I see nothing wrong with retreating....one of hte options that the deputy had when the suspect got back to his car was getting back in his cruiser and backing out of that situation. This would gain time and distance and give him time to think and time for back up to arrive.

Tactical retreat would have been a good move or even to run to hide behind the trees and use as cover.

There's no shame in getting out of danger. :thumbsup:

molonlabe
February 4th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I am curious, This was dated Dec 2008. Thats over 10 years after the crime. Is this POS still alive?

Supreme Court Reinstates Death Penalty For Deputy Killer Brannan: An article by a Macon staff writer reports that the Georgia Supreme Court has reinstated the death penalty for Andrew Howard Brannan, who was convicted of killing Laurens County deputy Kyle Dinkheller. In a unanimous decision, the high court reversed a Butts County judge’s ruling that threw out Brannan’s death sentence, and may have vacated Brannan’s conviction. Justice Hugh Thompson wrote "For the reasons set below, we reinstate Brannan’s death sentence and, to the extent that it is necessary to do so, we also reinstate his conviction."

Sinjin
February 4th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Everything I've read said he's still alive...it shows how messed up the appeal process is for death row inmates...even with indisputable proof like having them on video killing someone, they're able to appeal and delay and appeal and delay.....

boss66tcode
February 4th, 2010, 02:44 PM
On FPS's points: I'm with you on the Tazer - However there are still some departments (DC mostly) that don't issue them.
The first mistake I saw was the cruiser positioning. As soon as he began repeating the commands over and over without response is when you could tell it was going south. I have more thoughts here on tactics, but I really should save them for an LEO only forum.
As far as I am concerned, when he saw no response to his repetitive commands to put down the gun, lethal force was authorized.

RIP officer, and nothing but the best of thoughts to his family.