PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Ranger Cookie & Ranger Pudding with MRE's

Tom Perroni
February 1st, 2010, 11:11 PM
MD Shooters,

Got an e-mail asking a question....

Did I know how to make Ranger Pudding or a Ranger Cookie?

Of course the answer was yes!

Ranger Pudding
1 MRE packet of cocoa beverage powder
1 MRE packet of coffee creamer
1 MRE packet of sugar (optional)
Water

Mix together creamer, powder and sugar. Add water and stir.

Ranger Cookie
1 coffee creamer packet
1 packet of sugar

Open both sugar and creamer packet. Add the sugar into the creamer packet, shake it thoroughly, and then fold it up together. Heat the packet over the book of matches until the contents have melted. Let it cool. You should have a caramelized cookie.

Tom

august1410
February 1st, 2010, 11:13 PM
MD Shooters,

Got an e-mail asking a question....

Did I know how to make Ranger Pudding or a Ranger Cookie?

Of course the answer was yes!

Ranger Pudding
1 MRE packet of cocoa beverage powder
1 MRE packet of coffee creamer
1 MRE packet of sugar (optional)
Water

Mix together creamer, powder and sugar. Add water and stir.

Ranger Cookie
1 coffee creamer packet
1 packet of sugar

Open both sugar and creamer packet. Add the sugar into the creamer packet, shake it thoroughly, and then fold it up together. Heat the packet over the book of matches until the contents have melted. Let it cool. You should have a caramelized cookie.

Tom

:thumbsup:

I'd eat that.

clandestine
February 2nd, 2010, 12:14 AM

I'd eat that.

:lol:

That sounds too funny. :lol2:

Im off to make my Ranger cookies and pudding now. :)

august1410
February 2nd, 2010, 12:15 AM
:lol:

That sounds too funny. :lol2:

Im off to make my Ranger cookies and pudding now. :)

Well, I've said it before.. :innocent0

Scottysan
February 2nd, 2010, 02:21 AM
mmmm... sounds waayyy better than the mre's we used to get

Cpl. Cornbeef
February 2nd, 2010, 04:24 AM
I lived off of that stuff back in the day. My favorite was the Ranger Reese's Cup.

1 chocolate covered cookie bar

1 tube of govt issue peanut butter.

Spread on bar and eat.

WSM
February 3rd, 2010, 01:37 AM

God bless c-rats

StrikeFace
February 3rd, 2010, 01:54 AM
Hell, when I was playing that starving-in-the-woods game with a similar training outfit... we just shoveled whatever was in the blessed brown bag into our mouthhole and swallowed like a python. I think I ate that useless tiny TP pack a few times in my excitement to see food again.

There was this big change in MRE menus sometime in '05, I believe. Kids today get all the new goodies.

august1410
February 3rd, 2010, 02:00 AM
I remember a joke about a "Monument Street Omelette" when I was working in a pawn shop in East Baltimore.

How do you make a Monument Street Omelette, you ask?

First, you steal three eggs......

Kevp
February 3rd, 2010, 05:07 AM
All those ingredients are not new to MREs. They have been there since at least the mid-80s. Anyone that served and has ever had to eat MREs for extended periods probably has or has seen someone make Ranger pudding.

Streetgang
February 3rd, 2010, 05:43 AM
All those ingredients are not new to MREs. They have been there since at least the mid-80s. Anyone that served and has ever had to eat MREs for extended periods probably has or has seen someone make Ranger pudding.

I used to love the omlet. Heat it if you could, drop in a bottle of tabasco and a tube of mre cheese and it was pretty good.

K-Romulus
February 18th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I used to love the omlet. Heat it if you could, drop in a bottle of tabasco and a tube of mre cheese and it was pretty good.

Yeah, I was "that guy" who would try to scrounge up all the discarded/unwanted "omelette with cheese" meals, corned beef hash, and "meatballs, beef, and rice." Adding extra cheese packets and crumbled-up crackers to all of the above . don't forget the ENTIRE tabasco bottlecontents . . . . good stuff.

Towards the end, things were getting a bit "poofy," with meals like "chicken chow mein" appearing. :tdown: Great time to EAS.

kstew
February 18th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Crumble up plain (not veggie) crackers in anything to give it more volume. Makes the ranger pudding actually have a pudding consistency.

VNVGUNNER
February 18th, 2010, 12:10 PM

Lucky you, all we had were C-rations :sad20:

Streetgang
February 18th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I was "that guy" who would try to scrounge up all the discarded/unwanted "omelette with cheese" meals, corned beef hash, and "meatballs, beef, and rice." Adding extra cheese packets and crumbled-up crackers to all of the above . don't forget the ENTIRE tabasco bottlecontents . . . . good stuff.

Towards the end, things were getting a bit "poofy," with meals like "chicken chow mein" appearing. :tdown: Great time to EAS.

Me too. Nobody liked those but me.. Made me happy.

Cpl. Cornbeef
February 18th, 2010, 12:28 PM
When I was a Private in the Army there was a Corporal that was a total douchbag and he absolutely hated the Cornbeef with hash meal. On short deployments, we would sometimes be issued a week or so worth of food to keep in our Ruck and A-bag. Well, a few of us got together and replaced all of his meals with Cornbeef with Hash. Man, he was soooo pissed, he was in tears when he pulled out all of his meals and they were all Cornbeef and Hash!

PresentArms
February 18th, 2010, 12:31 PM
When I thought about Rangers I use to think of a bunch of Real Bad Ass dudes just ready to rip a mans head off with his bare hands. But now you ruined that for me, Pudding and Cookies??? WTF :)

VNVGUNNER
February 18th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I guess our LRP's were close to your all's MRE's

3rdRcn
February 18th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Lucky you, all we had were C-rations :sad20:

C rats were a whole lot better than the freeze dried MRE crap we got. Beans and baby dicks FTW!

Kevp
February 18th, 2010, 07:02 PM
For guys that have been out of the mix for awhile-you'd be surprised how far MREs have come.

Streetgang
February 18th, 2010, 07:07 PM
For guys that have been out of the mix for awhile-you'd be surprised how far MREs have come.

They are pretty good now. I get the occasional one or two at the commissary to go camping. They are still MRE's though.

3rdRcn
February 18th, 2010, 07:08 PM

Yeah, I had a buddy get me some off the base about 6 months or so back and it was quite tasty, my daughter and I actually fought over who got what once we tried em.

Rattlesnake46319
February 18th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I had a buddy get me some off the base about 6 months or so back and it was quite tasty, my daughter and I actually fought over who got what once we tried em.

Obviously wasn't the "four fingers of death" meal. ;)

Actually, think they phased that one out (thank God), but they still had chili mac. :party29:

Speaking of fighting over MREs, picture (if you will), me fighting a 5'5" tall Infantry major (former Marine, no less) in the back of our Humvee over a tube of jalapeno cheese. Good times. :D

bean93x
February 18th, 2010, 07:19 PM
They are pretty good now. I get the occasional one or two at the commissary to go camping. They are still MRE's though.

does the commissary at fort meade stock the MRE's with heaters in them and all those goodies?

vette97
February 18th, 2010, 07:24 PM
That's great. I remember eating the instant coffee crystals trying to stay awake in a foxhole during basic training. I'll never do that again. But, it would have gone down much better as a coffee/mocha pudding!

3rdRcn
February 18th, 2010, 07:29 PM
That's great. I remember eating the instant coffee crystals trying to stay awake in a foxhole during basic training. I'll never do that again. But, it would have gone down much better as a coffee/mocha pudding!

We used to take the coffee pack and pour the sugar packs into it with a little water, shake it up, drink it and you have instant energy. That was a regular occurrence on long patrols or when you were staying up for extended lengths of time out in the field.

Rattlesnake46319
February 18th, 2010, 07:35 PM
does the commissary at fort meade stock the MRE's with heaters in them and all those goodies?

Not at the commissary. Don't think they sell 'em on post. But I'm often wrong.

Never eat the instant coffee. Dip it. Kept me awake driving up from Kuwait to Tikrit.

vette97
February 19th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I was too tired to realize exactly what I was doing with that instant coffee until it was too late. I should have mixed it with something. What a boneheaded move. LOL.

njbroug
February 19th, 2010, 10:41 AM
The pudding is even better if you add a little peanut butter to it...