PDA

View Full Version : Pope incident.....

Tom Perroni
December 28th, 2009, 11:32 PM
For those of you who do not know....I taught protection for The State Department, Black Water, MVM and the Maryland State Police Governors Detail.

I have also worked in PSD for many years protecting members of the Royal Saudi Family and the President of Somalia to name a few this incident in my opinion was pure complacency by the protection detail ! :sad20:

The Vatican will review its security procedures after a woman jumped a barrier and rushed at Pope Benedict XVI for the second time in two years, managing to knock him down before being pulled away by security, the Vatican spokesman said Friday.

Benedict, 82, wasn't hurt and delivered his traditional Christmas Day greetings in 65 languages from the loggia overlooking St. Peter's Square. While a bit unsteady at first, he also delivered a short speech about the world's trouble spots without problem.

The incident in St. Peters Basilica raised fresh questions about security for the pontiff; however, after officials said the woman involved had jumped the barrier at the 2008 Midnight Mass in a failed bid to get to the pope. She even wore the same red-hooded sweat shirt.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34...rld_news-world_faith

joppaj
December 29th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I can't fathom how she got that close that fast. His security detail definatly dropped the ball. I understand that he doesn't want to move surrounded by agents within arm's reach, but this could have gone much worse.

3rdRcn
December 29th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Footage from behind where she was standing and she gave his security detail more than enough announcement that she was in the process of doing something she shouldn't be. She actually made it almost to him and managed to grab hold of him before the security guy got hold of her and he was standing just a few feet away. I think someone should get some new security personnel. It seemed as though they really were asleep guarding him, complacency is a real killer.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=431_1261703140

kac
December 29th, 2009, 08:28 AM
My first question was, "Where are the Swiss guards?" If they were in modern uniform, she should have been full of SIG 226 holes (their sidearm).

If in traditional uniform, she should have been full of halberd.

Either of which I would have enjoyed seeing.

fivepointstar
December 29th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Good point....If this crazy chick is close enough to tackle the Pope twice then anything can happen. I figured the Vatican is a secured area and they should screen for guns and knives. What is up with the Popes body guards??

Eudaimonia
December 29th, 2009, 10:07 AM
The incident definitely reinforces how fast someone can close a distance.

glock_forty5
December 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Her OODA loop was better than theirs.

SRTMO
December 29th, 2009, 09:10 PM
My first question was, "Where are the Swiss guards?" If they were in modern uniform, she should have been full of SIG 226 holes (their sidearm).

This probably would not have ended well in such a crowded area.

kac
December 30th, 2009, 02:16 PM
The halberd has zero reported problems with overpenetration.