PDA

View Full Version : Cans: Ops Inc. or AAC SPR/M4

Patrick
August 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM
My first can purchase.

I assumed AAC because they seem to be the de facto standard and I liked the research I did on them. I ordered two mounts from them to PA to barrels.

But now I am wondering about Ops Inc. I heard about them after the AAC mount order and they seem to be much quieter (40 db reduction vs. 33 in the AAC).

Anybody here have pointers or experience to help me make the call before I have something welded to a new barrel? Or order a can?

Quiet is a goal (not Hollywood quiet). I shoot on my property and think that good suppressors make great neighbors. I guess they'd both knock the big noise out, so maybe it won't matter...

E.Shell
August 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM
AAC C.S. complaining: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1274341&page=1

Kevp
August 6th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't get an AAC can if they were giving them away strictly on principle. They are known for being dirty pool players within the industry and Ed has posted the CS compliant. No thanks. OPS Inc. is a quiet professional within the industry.

<Mach1
August 6th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Negatory on the AAC, statements are a truism :tdown:

Kharn
August 7th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Ops Inc
AAC has proven themselves to be undeserving of my business.

JeepDriver
August 7th, 2009, 12:33 PM
WOW, I thought I was the only anti AAC guy on MDShooters!

Patrick
August 7th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I talked to Ron Allen at Ops Inc. yesterday and he was nice and helpful. I'm going that route as soon as I can get someone to help with the transfer (see parallel thread).

I've seen anti-AAC all over the web. They really pissed in a lot of people's Corn Flakes. I am happy I got the info from you all before they ruined mine, too.

Patrick
August 11th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Update: I went with neither.

Ended up ordering the AAC SCAR-H SD. According to AAC it will handle both 7.62 and 6.8 using the same mount, which I bought two of. It could technically fit with the 5.56 mount from AAC but they do not recommend it.

I will save my pennies and get the SPR/M4 when I can.

As for AAC customer service, they spent a long time explaining a ton of detail to me over the phone. I also made sure to order from a guy who had them in stock today. The form three is going to be faxed tomorrow, which will provide proof it is in stock.

Why the SCAR and not the 5.56 right away? Availability. The SCAR-H has been hard to find and is not produced as heavily. The SPR/M4 is commonly stocked. So both AAC and the dealer both suggested the SCAR now (they are the same price).

I like what folks have said about the Ops can but the mounts need to be done custom for each barrel. I'll maybe go with them when I have a special setup.

So now the wait. Three weeks for the Form 3 and five months for the Form 4 (trust purchase). That makes it...February before I can give it a review.

Thanks to all for the help, especially 4MDGunRights for pointing me to a good FFL.

Ak44
September 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I am all about AAC. Their suppressors for the most part are the best in the Industry. If I was going to spend my money on a can it would be with AAC or SWR.

ripper157
September 15th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Call me old school but Gemtech is still my favorite, and I have had great experiences with their customer service. Surefire will most likely be my next though.

boatbiologist
September 15th, 2009, 05:00 PM
go to http://www.silencerresearch.com/ and pay the $30 for his data.

You may as well know what you are getting and how it compares to others. Since you will likely have it forever, $30 could spare you from buying the wrong can for your application.

The silencer shoot in Martin, GA is this weekend. http://www.advanced-armament.com/silencershoot/index.aspx You could hear, and probably shoot both while there.

I was planning on doing the 9 hour drive on Friday and shoot on Saturday but may have to go to a funeral instead.

CKOD
September 16th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Brand loyalty when it comes to suppressors is the easiest way to get a shitty suppressor. Every manufacturer makes sinkers and floaters. Gemtech; You like your multimount but want something in .45? dont get the blackside w/o a booster.

YHM: your Cobra M2 in 45 sounds good, but you want a .22 suppressor? You can do better then the Mite...

Either hear them in person or go off of silencerresearch or some other 3rd party tester.

The SPR-M4 is a good can, you'll have to deal with the usual AAC slowness if you dealer orders from them. Unfortunately John doesnt have any ops cans on SilencerResearch. But you could try posting on the forums there to get opinions from people that do have them, and preferably have compared them.

Kharn
September 16th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I am all about AAC. Their suppressors for the most part are the best in the Industry. If I was going to spend my money on a can it would be with AAC or SWR.Some might believe AAC to be the best, but so far they've been accused of:
False advertising by Surefire
Suing people that mocked their products on AR15.com
Patent infringement by BE Myers

Sounds like a company really deserving of our money. :rolleyes:

CKOD
September 16th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Some might believe AAC to be the best, but so far they've been accused of:
False advertising by Surefire
Suing people that mocked their products on AR15.com
Patent infringement by BE Myers

Sounds like a company really deserving of our money. :rolleyes:

http://www.iptrademarkattorney.com/false-advertising-lawyer-silencer-advertisement-surefire-gun.jpg
I'm not so sure that the advertisement is false, even if AAC broke the rest of the stack off the blast baffle with a hammer, that doesnt make spot welds any stronger.

Plus its not exactly obvious that its a surefire suppressor, unless you recognize the baffle stack or the generic tube with endcap welded on...

Ak44
September 16th, 2009, 02:54 PM
No one knew it was Surefire until they sued AAC for that ad haha. Either way the can that gives me the best sound reduction is who's getting my money.

ripper157
September 16th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I want a company that stands behind their product when I have a problem. I have experienced Gemtechs customer service and I have zero complaints. I refuse to pay for a product that involves so much time to acquire to possibly have an issue that may not be resolved. Just my .02, caveat emptor!

Kharn
September 16th, 2009, 07:31 PM
No one knew it was Surefire until they sued AAC for that ad haha. Either way the can that gives me the best sound reduction is who's getting my money.

Everyone knew it was Surefire. The location of the weld holding on the front endcap is their signature. Plus from what I remember, advertising laws require you compare products after similar use. That Surefire can is beat to shit and has been dropped a time or two, the AAC is brand new.

Ak44
September 16th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Kharn, ah I see. Let me rephrase then, "I didn't know it was a surefire". What happened after that lawsuit?

boatbiologist
September 18th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I think Surefire already lost its case against AAC. Seems Surefire was also upset over the BIG difference between "spot" and "tack" welds in which tack is way stronger than spot.... or the other way around. Whatever, both are clearly inferior to AACs industry leading robot welds- that is what their ad wanted everyone to know. The Surefire lawsuit seems like a big waste of time and money. At least, that is how the court saw it.

Read it and make up your own mind.

http://www.iptrademarkattorney.com/false_advertising_15_usc_1125a/

wreckdiver
September 20th, 2009, 08:59 AM
AAC has treated me OK. I would buy from them again.

Kevp
September 20th, 2009, 09:07 AM

Anyone that knows suppressors could see that was a Surefire can and the news that they were suing AAC was not a secret. The real issue with this ad was its ITARS implications- that came directly from a Surefire guy.

ripper157
September 20th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Anyone that knows suppressors could see that was a Surefire can and the news that they were suing AAC was not a secret. The real issue with this ad was its ITARS implications- that came directly from a Surefire guy.

This is off topic but Kevp havenít seen you around lately on here, everything ok?

Kevp
September 21st, 2009, 04:32 AM
Roger,

Thanks for asking Ripper. Been busy with school and work. I watch the boards, but just haven't been a whole lot that piqued my interest.