PDA

View Full Version : Project Micro-22 is a reality!

NateTheShake
March 17th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Hey guys, I had been planning this one for a while. I know I mentioned it to Dan at GC about a dozen times. Well here she is:

The Micro-22! This thing is so small it's actually kind of funny.

http://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/files/7/4/5/dsc00189.jpg

http://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/files/7/4/5/dsc00186.jpg

http://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/files/7/4/5/dsc00191.jpg

http://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/files/7/4/5/dsc00181.jpg

Well there you go. The upper is (obviously) a Spike's Tactical 5.5" dedicated .22LR and the can is a Tac65. The engraving was done by Orion Arms. Without the can the barrel is well nestled inside the carbine length rails, I'm hoping to find a CAR flash hider to extend the barrel out of the rails while I'm not using the suppressor... mainly for safety and to keep the threading from getting all fouled.

simplegreen
March 17th, 2009, 11:36 AM
bad ass, basically what i want to build, total cost?

6-Speed
March 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM
were you in at the gun connection this past saturday? I was there filling out all my paper work for a new lower receiver. that thing was looking pretty neat! congrats man!

NateTheShake
March 17th, 2009, 01:46 PM
bad ass, basically what i want to build, total cost?

It wasn't the cheapest build that's for sure... the fact that there are also two tax stamp items @ $200 ea doesn't make it any cheaper.

Total cost for everything you see there including the paperwork, engraving, etc was around $2k

And yes, I was @ the Gun Connection this past Saturday.

fivepointstar
March 17th, 2009, 01:49 PM
SWEET Nate!!
is Pic #2 a 45 degree rail?

NateTheShake
March 17th, 2009, 02:42 PM
SWEET Nate!!
is Pic #2 a 45 degree rail?

Thanks, I've been wanting to build this one since the beginning of last summer. I think I started around August on the engraving etc.

Pic #2 is just showing the actual length of the barrel under the rail.

wreckdiver
March 17th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Nice. How does it function? I know some of Spike's 5.5" AR uppers can be finicky.

Kharn
March 17th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I thought this was going to be a .22lr micro-uzi, but it still looks like a blast.
I cant wait until my 11.5" AR upper comes in, 16" 22lr is just not as fun as NFA toys.

I'd suggest K&S pins so you do not wear out your lower, especially if you're thinking of getting a 9mm upper for it.

sje0123
March 17th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Damn that's sexy

JeepDriver
March 17th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Nice!

That's a great welcome home present!

SCARCQB
March 18th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I Like it. A practical way of keeping up with AR15 skills without breaking the bank on ammo cost.

Onua
March 18th, 2009, 06:53 PM
WOW, nice rig congratulations

NateTheShake
March 18th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I Like it. A practical way of keeping up with AR15 skills without breaking the bank on ammo cost.

Absolutely the reason I built it. I can blast away all day for about the cost of a box or two of .223.

Onua
March 18th, 2009, 07:46 PM
What ammo are you running in it?

JCB003
March 18th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Nice, Me likey. I have the Tac65 already and a few SBR lowers, I need to look into the Spike's .22 setup a little more. Too bad I just dropped money on a Larue upper (ordered in January) which is scheduled to be delivered Monday.

stank
March 18th, 2009, 08:43 PM
That thing is great, can you break down the cost. I just built a cheaper version and with one tax stamp and no high end optics, it hit near $1300. Thanks

NateTheShake
March 18th, 2009, 10:42 PM
That thing is great, can you break down the cost. I just built a cheaper version and with one tax stamp and no high end optics, it hit near $1300. Thanks

Lower: DPMS $160
Upper: Spike's Tactical 5.5" w/ YHM carbine rail $615
LPK: Rock River $75
Stock: CAR $25 (used)
SBR Tax Stamp: $200

Total cost of rifle (minus optic and suppressor): $1075

What ammo are you running in it?

I've tried Federal Bulk Pack, CCI Mini Mag, and Remington Subsonic. The Mini Mags worked well, but had a few FTF (the rounds would get stuck half way into the chamber, I'm thinking it was the wax). The Subsonics didn't feed for crap. The Federal Bulk Pack stuff worked awesome though. I put about 200ish rounds of Federal through without an issue.

T-Bone
March 23rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Very, VERY nice Nate! I wish you & your buddies hours & hours of fun blasting with it!!..You do take your buddies along, right?
Can I be your buddy? :) *LOL* T-Bone

boatbod
March 24th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I've tried Federal Bulk Pack, CCI Mini Mag, and Remington Subsonic. The Mini Mags worked well, but had a few FTF (the rounds would get stuck half way into the chamber, I'm thinking it was the wax). The Subsonics didn't feed for crap. The Federal Bulk Pack stuff worked awesome though. I put about 200ish rounds of Federal through without an issue.

There is a way to make it feed a wider variety of ammo more reliably. Learned the hard way with mine that the chambers are pretty sloppily cut and have sharp edged and rough walls. With careful rounding & polishing, it'll run more or less anything like a champ.