PDA

View Full Version : tac65 on 17HMR

K Train
January 12th, 2009, 02:14 PM
i know the tac65 says 22LR only. Do you think it would be alright on a 17HMR bolt action rifle. My dad wants to shoot crows w/ the set up from his back porch but they fly away with the sound of the shot so you have to wait for them to all come back.

would the pressures be a huge difference?

Redneck
January 12th, 2009, 02:32 PM
wont you hear the bullet crack once its gets so far out so fast? I thought about this idea too, but don't know if its worth suppressing due to the velocity of the bullets.

K Train
January 12th, 2009, 02:41 PM
wont you hear the bullet crack once its gets so far out so fast? I thought about this idea too, but don't know if its worth suppressing due to the velocity of the bullets.

i don't know the velocity on the 17HMR, i'd have to look and see what they are. is there a subsonic rd available....

i'm gonna do some quick research to see what i can find as far as velocities.

Redneck
January 12th, 2009, 02:44 PM
i don't know the velocity on the 17HMR, i'd have to look and see what they are. is there a subsonic rd available....

i'm gonna do some quick research to see what i can find as far as velocities.

mine shoots between 2400 and 2500fps

SCARCQB
January 12th, 2009, 02:48 PM
It will be noisy as the projectile breaks the sound barrier causing that sonic crack. it doesnt matter if the bullet travels fast and gets away from you quick.if you slow it down.. hmmm. whats the point, you are better off shooting an air rifle.

I have the same issue with an FNPS90 SBR. The high velovcty round is just hard to suppress.

The 17 HMR also has an average velocity of over 2500 feet/ second. chamber pressures in excess of 25600 psi. Slowing it down to subsonic velocities seem to defeat the purpose of this cartridge. Chamber pressure are higher than a 22WMR. I would be careful using a TI tac 65 can on this as it may turn into a fragmentation grenade.

For shooting crows quietly. I would go with a Tactical Innovations 1x9 twist barrel and aguila subsonics w/ a Tac 65 can. Now that ' s staple gun quiet.

K Train
January 12th, 2009, 02:50 PM
maybe the subsonic 22 will be the way to go

BeltBuckle
January 12th, 2009, 03:37 PM
as is often the case, here we can find some inspiration from the classics. why bother with suppression? "I say, Launch, and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure!":innocent0