PDA

View Full Version : Whats the legal barrel length in Maryland??

Leo35
December 8th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Got a New Saiga 12 and it has a 19 inch barrel,I like to shorten it. whats the legal length I can shorten it without it being consider a Class 3 weapon?

kohburn
December 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
shotgun has to be over 18" before things get complicated

MafiaConnected
December 8th, 2008, 01:38 PM
My AR has a 14" barrel and I got a 2" flash hider to avoid any problems. Not sure if the same applys to shotguns?

Jettster
December 8th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Got a New Saiga 12 and it has a 19 inch barrel,I like to shorten it. whats the legal length I can shorten it without it being consider a Class 3 weapon?

Thinking the same thing, but I may just go ahead and SBS it.

GNLaFrance
December 8th, 2008, 02:57 PM
My AR has a 14" barrel and I got a 2" flash hider to avoid any problems. Not sure if the same applys to shotguns?

Rifles must have a minimum 16" barrel, shotguns a minimum 18" barrel. The whole thing is stupid. I've seen average-size men conceal full-size rifles under overcoats.

h2u
December 8th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Rifles must have a minimum 16" barrel, shotguns a minimum 18" barrel. The whole thing is stupid. I've seen average-size men conceal full-size rifles under overcoats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ade7dO8dmd4

I'll see your average-sized man and raise you a scrawny teen with no coat. Not too sure he would be able to do too much walkin' though.....:innocent0

GNLaFrance
December 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ade7dO8dmd4

I'll see your average-sized man and raise you a scrawny teen with no coat. Not too sure he would be able to do too much walkin' though.....:innocent0

Yeah, I remembered that, but as you said, he can't walk normally with that scattergun down his trouser leg. He'd have to say his leg was in a cast or brace.

Yoboney
December 8th, 2008, 09:53 PM
16 inches from what I have been told.

lax
December 8th, 2008, 09:57 PM

correct

novus collectus
December 9th, 2008, 12:02 AM
As already said, 18" for a shotgun barrel, but what has not been mentioned yet is overall length must be 26" and if there is a folding or collapsible stock, it has to be at least 26" with the stock fully extended.
So in other words let's say a shotgun is 26" with a 19" barrel, it would become an NFA device if the barrel is cut. I don't think this is an issue with Saigas though.

mdsuave13
January 6th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Is the flash hider permanently attached?

I was under the impression that the barrel itself has to be 16" total, a removable flash hider on a 14" barrel would not be legal (without sbr'ing it)

Its kinda like my 10.5" ruger 10/22, with the supressor on it, its 16" but its still an sbr because the suppressor can be removed. If the suppressor was permanently attached, it would be legal....

i am just curious.

focusr3
January 31st, 2009, 03:57 PM
What if you had the shotgun barrel shortened less than 18 before 94

BlindViper
January 31st, 2009, 04:03 PM

Is the flash hider welded or pinned? If not it illegal.

JeepDriver
January 31st, 2009, 04:30 PM
16" Rifle
18" Shotgun

Anthing under and you'll need a From 1 & $200.

Having a permentantly attached muzzle breal or flash hider counts in the over all length. But it must be attached in a way that the ATF counts as permenant. No Red Lock tight or other liquid method. They want blind pined and welded.

novus collectus
January 31st, 2009, 04:54 PM
What if you had the shotgun barrel shortened less than 18 before 94

The law has been in effect since 1934.

Jaybeez
January 31st, 2009, 05:30 PM
16" Rifle
18" Shotgun

Anthing under and you'll need a From 1 & $200.

Having a permentantly attached muzzle breal or flash hider counts in the over all length. But it must be attached in a way that the ATF counts as permenant. No Red Lock tight or other liquid method. They want blind pined and welded.

Blind pinned(pin welded) or welded ?
or
Blind Pinned (pin welded) and brake welded?

iriden
February 6th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I thought Silver solder was exceptable

terryhimself
February 6th, 2009, 11:18 PM
At last check high temp. silver solder was acceptable.

ampdog
April 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
As already said, 18" for a shotgun barrel, but what has not been mentioned yet is overall length must be 26" and if there is a folding or collapsible stock, it has to be at least 26" with the stock fully extended.
So in other words let's say a shotgun is 26" with a 19" barrel, it would become an NFA device if the barrel is cut. I don't think this is an issue with Saigas though.

I think if it's a converted Saiga it has to be regulated by MSP because it has a Pistol Grip and a Magazine.

novus collectus
April 3rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
I think if it's a converted Saiga it has to be regulated by MSP because it has a Pistol Grip and a Magazine.

What I meant is that Saigas will still be over 26" if you cut the barrel down to 18".

In MD there is n "features" test for the so called "assault weapons" list except for the Mini14 with a folding stock. There is some question about whether the Saiga 12 shotgun is a MD regulated firearm, but that is for other reasons and has nothing to do with the features like detachable mags and pistol grips for instance.

terryhimself
April 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
If it has a folding stock, it would have to be 26" overall with the stock folded.

novus collectus
April 3rd, 2009, 03:31 PM
If it has a folding stock, it would have to be 26" overall with the stock folded.

Unfolded actually. If it measures 26" with the stock unfolded and fully extended, then it is ok.
Now in DC it is measures when folded, but federally it says "overall length".

Quake_the_Greatest
January 21st, 2013, 11:04 AM
What about the Taurus Judge and it's ability to use .410 shells?

ThawMyTongue
January 21st, 2013, 02:50 PM

The Judge has rifling, though more shallow than the norm. This is one reason the shotshells are so inaccurate.

jawn
January 21st, 2013, 03:02 PM

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attachments/world-affairs-board-pub/17201d1258434900-necropost-warning-necrokitten.jpg

Furthermore, the Judge is a handgun.