PDA

View Full Version : Any post-Obama NFA purchases?

Kharn
November 9th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I just picked up a second 870 Express this morning, its already rocking a Speedfeed 0660 grip (birdshead-style) and I'm planning to make the trip to the MSP HQ on Friday to get CLEO sign-off on Form 1s for my Uzi and the 870.

JeepDriver
November 9th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Not yet, but I do want to get a few more suppressors as money allows.

But that was going to happen even if BHO had lost.

What length is the 870 going to be?

Kharn
November 9th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Probably 14", I think that's the length that puts the muzzle even with a +1 extension. I'll need to either have the mag tube dimples drilled (could do that myself on my mill, but obviously leaves holes) or pressed out using the proper tool (have to pay a 'smith), plus any barrel I use after that needs the Wingmaster-style detent ball installed...

smores
November 10th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I MAY be getting a Vector Arms UZI SBR if the guy at the VA show still has it...

JCB003
November 11th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I saw a sweet 870 SBS on another forum. It had wood stock and fore-end and was finished in OD Green Gunkote with a 12.5" barrel. The guy was from Canada. He got the barrel from Dlask Arms. They have some 12.5" and 14" barrels and even make a 8.5" one. They also have some custom 870 endcaps. Too bad they are in Canada.

https://www.dlaskarms.com//index.php?cPath=35_39&osCsid=35993507adbefc5f6f626d5a2d4597ed

Kharn
November 12th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Here's what inspired my 870 project:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/CAR-AR-M16/870AOW.jpg
But I'm planning to add a +1 extension and match the barrel to the extension's length. Plus a Speedfeed forearm (so it doesnt cover the reciever when open) and a Mesa Tactical side saddle (made from aluminum, plus are cut so you can read the serial number which is not always the case with other ones).

CobraMike
November 12th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Would an AWB have any effect on NFA stuff? I just bought a lower from Dan at GC and would like to eventually make it a SBR and get a can for it.

Corsica Coatings
November 13th, 2008, 06:00 AM
We can make 870 14" pretty easy on ribbed barrels and 12.5" on plain barrels. I have one set on a Knoxx Spec Ops stock and a 3.5" receiver now waiting to be coated. If I wasn't picture challenged, I would give you a look at it.

When the new AWB comes it will depend entirely on how it is written as to whether it will restrict/prohibit NFA weapons. Remember folks, President elect Osama subscribes to the United Nations gun ban model which requires confiscation, registration and permits to own. Hopefully, the Supreme Court will not allow that to happen...but then that depends upon when he gets to appoint new judges. Things look pretty grim to me.....and you are taking a chance by getting a NFA gun....but they are fun!!

wreckdiver
November 13th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Let's hope they leave NFA alone. Usually NFA items are pretty low on the radar, but things could be MUCH worse this time around.

squirrels
November 18th, 2008, 08:58 AM
ARFCOM is reporting 2-3 month delays on average. I'd bet they're getting swamped as much as anything "assault rifle" related.

araugh
November 18th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I'm looking to buy a .22lr suppressor this coming February.

gamer_jim
November 18th, 2008, 11:22 AM
The super shorty was on my list of possible buys but my friend talked me into an AR15. Hopefully when I get the money next week I can still find all the parts I need in Maryland.

Kharn
November 21st, 2008, 08:13 PM
I just dropped off my Uzi and 870 Form 1s at Pikesville today, hopefully they'll be back by mid-January and then I can send them to the ATF.

Gamer_jim:
From what I've read on the various boards (ARf, subguns, etc), get a short-barreled shotgun rather than an AOW unless you have plans of moving to a No-SBS-but-AOW-ok state in the future. Even if you never put a stock on it, at least you've got the option. Plus you can Form 1 it rather than dealing with finding an NFA dealer near you with one in stock.

mudskipper
December 11th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I think I'm gonna be doing some Form 1's next year. haven't done one of those yet since all my CIII stuff has been F4's from dealers so far, but I think I wanna SBR a few of my rifles, and I'm still trying to decide if I wanna go the trust route for my Form 1 stuff. I'm leaning towards it at this point...

jcmil73
December 16th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I've got Quicken Willmaker on the way, bc I wanted a hardcopy. Does anyone know of any sort of format or template for setting up a Gun Trust? All I want to do is set it up to build my:
CMMG Lower, 10.5" LWRC 5.56 upper, with an AAC can.

I'm a budget shooter so I might not be able to build the thing yet but can at least get my lower registered as an SBR and purchase the can. Not too keen on spending $1,800-2,000 for an upper alone.
If I don't work up the guts to jump through all of the hoops I might change my mind and get a MSAR STG, which is only 27" with a 16" barrel.

--------------
I'm a newbie with no quotables

frozencesium
December 24th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I'm with mudskipper....I feel some Form 1's in the works and perhaps even Form 4 stuff...just need to get that trust first (and I'm scared to do a trust with a piece of software or boilerplate form).

Rattlesnake46319
December 24th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I'm with mudskipper....I feel some Form 1's in the works and perhaps even Form 4 stuff...just need to get that trust first (and I'm scared to do a trust with a piece of software or boilerplate form).

Feel free to put my name in that trust as the recipient. :innocent0

Keep tellin' ya, man. Invest in a good-sized piece of property and a backhoe.

mudskipper
December 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Feel free to put my name in that trust as the recipient. :innocent0

Keep tellin' ya, man. Invest in a good-sized piece of property and a backhoe.

No way. If the time ever comes to think about burying stuff, then THAT is the time some folks start to think about using it... I mean, it's not like they'll change their minds in 10 years and say "it's okay, you can go dig them up now". Nah, if push ever does come to shove, well, some of those folks doing the shoving will likely get "shoved" back.

ateixeira
January 6th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Heard that MSP signs off without the third degree. Does one have to go to HQ or any MD barrack will do? I'm getting a form 1 going for a 10 1/2" SBR upper. Would be my first NFA and they don't make it easy.

Kharn
January 7th, 2009, 05:45 AM
As I understand, you must drive to the MSP HQ in Pikesville to do it. It'd be interesting to find out if they'd accept you signing it in front of the MSP desk sergeant at your local barracks and then it being sent to the HQ via interoffice mail (someone posted that every barracks has a trooper make a midnight drive to Pikesville to deliver & pick up mail on a daily basis).

ateixeira
January 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM
As I understand, you must drive to the MSP HQ in Pikesville to do it. It'd be interesting to find out if they'd accept you signing it in front of the MSP desk sergeant at your local barracks and then it being sent to the HQ via interoffice mail (someone posted that every barracks has a trooper make a midnight drive to Pikesville to deliver & pick up mail on a daily basis).

I will give my local Barrack a call to see. I'll post the results.

Thanks

Cerebus
January 16th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I just bought my first Class III device on Tuesday, an AAC Cyclone. I was told to expect 2 months for manufacture ...then however long for the BATF approval via a trust.